• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Tour of Flanders

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win

• Peter Sagan

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Greg Van Avermaet

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Philippe Gilbert

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Tiesj Benoot

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Michal Kwiatkowski

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Sep Vanmarcke

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Niki Terpstra

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • Zdenek Stybar

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Wout Van Aert

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: 2018 Ronde van Vlaanderen

Echoes said:
Lol things really never change on CN. The guy has been tugged by domestiques from other teams all the way to the Paterberg, he never got in the lead, but still nobody works with him... And then those fanboys would make me believe it's a fact that nobody collaborates with him... So funny!
Did you watch the race?

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
SKSemtex said:
I rewatched and yes it was damn deserved huge victory by Terpstra and QS.
None of those spectators were in the road, was a byotch move by all of the EF-Drapac and Sky riders who left the road, in order to try to set up some moves towards the front. There was a corner-marshal in uniform there, waving a yellow flag, to specifically warn them not to do that.

Less than 60 kilometers remaining to race, things were starting to heat up tactically, with these guys getting some ideas about what to do in the interval before the next big hill coming up. After weaving dangerously through spectators off the roadside, Rowe cut back suddenly to rejoin the pack, only to cut the inside again by jumping over the corner of the sidewalk, - that was also not necessary. In a hurry to get somewhere?

If Rowe had not endangered the woman with her baby then maybe it wouldn't have been DQ - that's the imagery that makes a commissaire decide: "No, he's gone. No way can we let him go". And in terms of the race outcome, Kwiatkowski was not just not able to hang with QuickStep, having Rowe available to help Sky wouldn't have changed that.

I think you may well be right, but that shouldn't be. As long as riders think they can get away with pavement jumping, they will. Rowe evidently thinks he should, and I don't doubt that any other rider would have responded similarly. About 3 years ago, the UCI loudly announced that they would enforce the rule about leaving the road strictly. Typically, they have not, so there is an expectation that they will get away with it.

Any defence that Rowe might have had was entirely undermined by the teammate following him, who easily swung back to his left and into the peloton before finding himself among the spectators.

Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
alspacka said:
BalearicBeats said:
More Strides than Rides said:
Avermaet did it! He beat Sagan! Against all odds! Bet he's super satisfied with his riding today...

He and Sagan were the only favorites to attack today (except for Terpstra of course)? I didn't see him skip any turns or anything, he tried at least.

Yes I don't understand GVA criticism here. He clearly was not as strong as previously and BMC did have Roelandts chase while he could.
roelandts had the legs to cover terpstra's attack!! But guess what? they waited for... Sagan!!

Lol. Im reading through this thread and there is so much biased crap being said these days.

DFA123 said:
SKSemtex said:
DFA123 said:
loge1884 said:
+ Sagan missing a decisive move +

let's face it, if Sagan would have gone with Terpstra it for sure would not have been a decisive move (Terpstra would not have contributed an inch) ....
QS was too strong today, unlike in former years they now seem to know how to play their cards (attacking one by one) - in order to put something against QS the other teams (or a other team) would need one or two more potential winners, which they can send out whenever someone from QS makes the attack ...
Are you sure about this? This is the same Terpstra who co-operated with Kristoff for the last 40km of the same race a few years ago, and is in even better form now than he was then.

I think there is a very good chance Terpstra would have co-operated and tried to drop Sagan on the Paterberg (like his plan was with Kristoff). It would have been his only hope at winning after all.

Trolling on its best. Sure. Terpstra would be pulling Sagan and trying to drop him on Paterberg. :D
Please stop trying to derail the discussion with childish accusations of trolling.

What is you're evidence that Terpstra wouldn't co-operate? Because the one time he has been in this situation with a much faster sprinter, he absolutely did co-operate until about the last 2km. Let's deal with facts here, not your baseless (and clearly biased) opinion please.

He worked with kristoff because everyone including terpstra was convinced terpstra would drop Kristoff eventualy.
Terpstra wouldnt work with Sagan, a pre race favourite, while he has strong teammembers behind him.

He would work with vanmarcke or Moscon. Sure, but not sagan or gva who are clearlyfaster in a sprint.

Kwibus said:
portugal11 said:
alspacka said:
BalearicBeats said:
Avermaet did it! He beat Sagan! Against all odds! Bet he's super satisfied with his riding today...

He and Sagan were the only favorites to attack today (except for Terpstra of course)? I didn't see him skip any turns or anything, he tried at least.

Yes I don't understand GVA criticism here. He clearly was not as strong as previously and BMC did have Roelandts chase while he could.
roelandts had the legs to cover terpstra's attack!! But guess what? they waited for... Sagan!!

Lol. Im reading through this thread and there is so much biased crap being said these days.
yes, for example your post :)

Sagan covered Stybar shortly before, it was other's (GVA/Roelands, Benoot, Vanmarcke, Astana, ...) turn to cover Terpstra if they wanted to keep a chance win ... guess not. This is not the first time Sagan refused to get boiled while others waited for him to sacrifice himself ... and sacrificed their chance to contest victory.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
SKSemtex said:
I rewatched and yes it was damn deserved huge victory by Terpstra and QS.
None of those spectators were in the road, was a byotch move by all of the EF-Drapac and Sky riders who left the road, in order to try to set up some moves towards the front. There was a corner-marshal in uniform there, waving a yellow flag, to specifically warn them not to do that.

Less than 60 kilometers remaining to race, things were starting to heat up tactically, with these guys getting some ideas about what to do in the interval before the next big hill coming up. After weaving dangerously through spectators off the roadside, Rowe cut back suddenly to rejoin the pack, only to cut the inside again by jumping over the corner of the sidewalk, - that was also not necessary. In a hurry to get somewhere?

If Rowe had not endangered the woman with her baby then maybe it wouldn't have been DQ - that's the imagery that makes a commissaire decide: "No, he's gone. No way can we let him go". And in terms of the race outcome, Kwiatkowski was not just not able to hang with QuickStep, having Rowe available to help Sky wouldn't have changed that.

What does Terpstra's - indeed well-deserved victory - have to do with Rowe's DQ?

]Kwibus[/url]"]
portugal11 said:
alspacka said:
BalearicBeats said:

Lol. Im reading through this thread and there is so much biased crap being said these days.[/quote]
yes, for example your post :)

Sagan covered Stybar shortly before, it was other's (GVA/Roelands, Benoot, Vanmarcke, Astana, ...) turn to cover Terpstra if they wanted to keep a chance win ... guess not. This is not the first time Sagan refused to get boiled while others waited for him to sacrifice himself ... and sacrificed their chance to contest victory.[/quote]

My opinion is that all the favourites werent strong enough to beat the QS team, if you wanted my opinion that is.

When I read that Roelandts wouldve been able to cover Terpstra's attack I just lol.
And there were plenty of ridiculous comments.

The attack from terpstra could only be countered by a teamleader.... maybe. Well they certainly shouldve been on his wheel directly, they werent.....

They can blame eachother for that matter, but it wont help them.

TRENDING THREADS