2018 Winter Olympics, PyeongChang

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
Jspear said:
I’ll read some headlines and nothing more. Who cares about the Winter Olympics? Only two cities bid for the next Winter Olympics.
You can of course not watch it. Why pipe in on this thread? Never will understand this kind of post...
Well the question was asked, who can’t wait to stay up. I just gave my answer. You don’t have to agree or understand my post. It’s all good. :) everyone has those things they enjoy and don’t enjoy.
 
Apr 22, 2012
3,570
0
0
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
red_flanders said:
Jspear said:
I’ll read some headlines and nothing more. Who cares about the Winter Olympics? Only two cities bid for the next Winter Olympics.
You can of course not watch it. Why pipe in on this thread? Never will understand this kind of post...
Well the question was asked, who can’t wait to stay up. I just gave my answer. You don’t have to agree or understand my post. It’s all good. :) everyone has those things they enjoy and don’t enjoy.
That would be ok if you've spoke for yourself, but you've written this "Who cares about the Winter Olympics?" See?
 

Singer01

BANNED
Nov 18, 2013
2,043
2
5,485
Re: Re:

portugal11 said:
jsem94 said:
Incredible 20 year old Samuelsson in 2nd place. Martin took this too easily, but in the individual and mass start I don't think JTB will fail like he did in the sprint. He should learn from this experience.
martin is skiing faster than JTB and he has a better endurance than JTB so I don't really see who will beat fourcade in the individual
He skied faster in a race earlier this season only to be annihilated about a week later. I wouldn't say it's a done deal yet. That being said I'd always back Fourcade in the individual.
 
Oct 23, 2011
3,846
2
0
And another gold and silver in speed skating for the Dutch. Disappointing race by Koen Verweij, we could have had another clean sweep if he had performed in line with his usual level.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
I think the relegation for the South Korean woman in the 500m Shorttrack race was a bit harsh, the move that another athlete (I think it was the Dutch and not the Canadian, but don't quote me on that) pulled on her a bit earlier looked even worse and had no consequences.
 
Maaaaaaaarten said:
And another gold and silver in speed skating for the Dutch. Disappointing race by Koen Verweij, we could have had another clean sweep if he had performed in line with his usual level.
ugh, the race devastated me. Allan Dahl Johansson has been in such great shape lately (my younger brother used to compete against him and they're fairly good friends and talk regularly) and managed to fall. He's in no way weaker than the Korean that got the 3rd and he's reported a near perfect buildup for the Olympics. Would've been nice to see an acquaintance get an Olympic medal
 

Singer01

BANNED
Nov 18, 2013
2,043
2
5,485
Frenzel just loves the olympics, he's been relatively *** this year, then comes in and wins his 5th gold in a row. White wins the half pipe to the surprise of few. Can't get that excited about it, my rule for whether a sport should be in the Olympics is 'is it the pinnacle of their career'?
 
Re:

Singer01 said:
Frenzel just loves the olympics, he's been relatively **** this year, then comes in and wins his 5th gold in a row. White wins the half pipe to the surprise of few. Can't get that excited about it, my rule for whether a sport should be in the Olympics is 'is it the pinnacle of their career'?
Do the olympic road race and time trial pass this test?
 

Singer01

BANNED
Nov 18, 2013
2,043
2
5,485
Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Singer01 said:
Frenzel just loves the olympics, he's been relatively **** this year, then comes in and wins his 5th gold in a row. White wins the half pipe to the surprise of few. Can't get that excited about it, my rule for whether a sport should be in the Olympics is 'is it the pinnacle of their career'?
Do the olympic road race and time trial pass this test?
No. Tennis, golf, road cycling, football etc can all do one. I'll still happy to watch, but not able to care that much.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
0
0
Re:

jmdirt said:
I enjoy's pretty much every event, in moderation of course. I only watch most of these events every four years so its nice. I disagree about the 'flips and tricks' because the games have evolved and need to if they want to stay relevant with the youngsters. ie: Red Gerard winning the USA's first gold!
everyone's their own....
for me, the winter olympics mean more than their summer event. i will watch/follow only 4-5 sports though. the traditional sports like xc skiing ( a priority i will watch live no matter the time of the day), speed skating, biathlon, hockey and occasionally luge...yep, in this sequence.
 
Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Singer01 said:
Frenzel just loves the olympics, he's been relatively **** this year, then comes in and wins his 5th gold in a row. White wins the half pipe to the surprise of few. Can't get that excited about it, my rule for whether a sport should be in the Olympics is 'is it the pinnacle of their career'?
Do the olympic road race and time trial pass this test?
Most prestigious one day road win imo

Most prestigious tt too.

OBV TDF is bigger though
 

Singer01

BANNED
Nov 18, 2013
2,043
2
5,485
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Singer01 said:
Frenzel just loves the olympics, he's been relatively **** this year, then comes in and wins his 5th gold in a row. White wins the half pipe to the surprise of few. Can't get that excited about it, my rule for whether a sport should be in the Olympics is 'is it the pinnacle of their career'?
Do the olympic road race and time trial pass this test?
Most prestigious one day road win imo

Most prestigious tt too.

OBV TDF is bigger though
It can seem bigger just due to the infrequency. I've not heard of pro's expressing this though.
 
Gigs_98 said:
I really hope the weather in pyeongchang finally gets better. Only one alpine skiing event has taken place so far, and all ski jumping and nordic combined even have been heavily influenced by the wind
Speaking of alpine - is it true the Olympic combined may be on the chopping block because skiers are so highly specialized now that they don't care to do both? Slalom and downhill I mean. (Apologies, I'm a bit out of the loop.)
 
Tricycle Rider said:
Gigs_98 said:
I really hope the weather in pyeongchang finally gets better. Only one alpine skiing event has taken place so far, and all ski jumping and nordic combined even have been heavily influenced by the wind
Speaking of alpine - is it true the Olympic combined may be on the chopping block because skiers are so highly specialized now that they don't care to do both? Slalom and downhill I mean. (Apologies, I'm a bit out of the loop.)
The FIS has decided that there won't be any more combined events in the World Cup on from 2020/21. So I guess it's likely to drop out of the Olympic program as well, yeah
 
Apparently, Jillery Anema, the coach of Jorrit and Heather Bergsma got a warning for attempted match fixing back in Sochi. He begged the Dutch pursuit team to not embarras the French team cause he feared they'd lose sponsorship and in return the Dutch would get a guaranteed win
 
The British skeleton athletes (not talking about Froome here - skeleton as a discipline) are wearing suits that would make them a second faster compared to the suits of their competitors. Many believe these suits are not according to regulations, but the IBSF has given them the go-ahead anyway. Is it official British policy to always look for the edge of what is allowed (and sometimes go over it)?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/winter-olympics/2018/02/14/team-gb-defend-winter-olympics-skeleton-suits-amid-questions/

I don't like it much. The athlete should always come before the tech - as big, rich countries will only extend their logistical advantage otherwise.
 

Singer01

BANNED
Nov 18, 2013
2,043
2
5,485
Re:

Jagartrott said:
The British skeleton athletes (not talking about Froome here - skeleton as a discipline) are wearing suits that would make them a second faster compared to the suits of their competitors. Many believe these suits are not according to regulations, but the IBSF has given them the go-ahead anyway. Is it official British policy to always look for the edge of what is allowed (and sometimes go over it)?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/winter-olympics/2018/02/14/team-gb-defend-winter-olympics-skeleton-suits-amid-questions/

I don't like it much. The athlete should always come before the tech - as big, rich countries will only extend their logistical advantage otherwise.
Come on, it never even snows in the UK. Give us a break.
 
Oct 23, 2011
3,846
2
0
First speed skating gold medal won by a non-Dutch person :eek:

Although he's actually Dutch and spent a large part of his career skating for the Netherlands, but because his father has a dual Dutch/Canadian nationality, being born in Canada, he could get a Canadian nationality and switch to skating for Canada in order to avoid the necessity of having to peak early because you have to compete against other super high level skaters to even qualify for the WC and OG if you're Dutch. :p

Very disappointing race for Kramer though. Buckled under the pressure? Olympic gold at the 10km will now forever remain a striking hiatus in his otherwise ridiculous palmares.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BlueRoads Non-Cycling Discussions 104
Similar threads
Olympics 2021

ASK THE COMMUNITY