• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Winter Olympics, PyeongChang

1200px-PyeongChang_2018_Winter_Olympics.svg.png

website
schedule

So, who else can't wait for standing up at 3 in the morning to watch the olympics? :D

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Eyes are currently bleeding watching some curling. (Probably not even live, but, who cares?)

Not much coverage of the sports I'm interested will be presented by NBC... wow, these curlers are so intense!
And apparently a number of them are using "smart brooms" worth 3000 dollars!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/sports/olympics/curling-smart-broom.html
Things have changed a bit since I worked at a Glasgow curling rink in 1971-2. :surprised:

Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
Give me some speedskating please.
Speedskating is always good, and I'd like to catch some xc-skiing and biathlon, plus bobsledding, ski jumping... stuff I don't normally get to see much of. (Sports like figure skating and snowboarding I can do without seeing as tv coverage in the US is not hard to come by.)

A lot of stuff I'll just be recording seeing as it won't be live to begin with, and NBC will push any replays of sports with a limited audience late into the night. So, yeah.

oldcrank said:
And apparently a number of them are using "smart brooms" worth 3000 dollars!
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/sports/olympics/curling-smart-broom.html
Things have changed a bit since I worked at a Glasgow curling rink in 1971-2. :surprised:
I don't know much about curling, are there any restrictions as to the equipment curlers are allowed to use in international competition?

Re:

Jspear said:
I’ll read some headlines and nothing more. Who cares about the Winter Olympics? Only two cities bid for the next Winter Olympics.

True that. It's pretty much a joke.
I'll tune in to the Winter Olympics when they introduce cyclo-cross.
Other than that, I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in skeleton or ice dancing, or any number of ridiculous sports on offer.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Well, there's a 4000-reply thread a few down from this one about XC and biathlon.
Ja, but how do you feel about Mr. Tonga (Pita Taufatofua) competing in xc-skiing at these winter Olympics? (While I know he doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning anything he at least makes for some very nice eye candy, and I'll be interested in how he does. For the most shallow of reasons, obviously.)

se662c.jpg

But seriously, I'm aware of the thread here, as well as the one in the Clinic, and I do peek into each once in a while. But I don't follow xc-skiing regularly like you guys do, so I'm not familiar with all the usual suspects, and consequently, don't have much to contribute.

I really do enjoy watching the Olympic biathlon though, just because there are several things going on at the same time. You miss a target and off to the sin bin you go!

I enjoy pretty much every event, in moderation of course. I only watch most of these events every four years so its nice. I disagree about the 'flips and tricks' because the games have evolved and need to if they want to stay relevant with the youngsters. ie: Red Gerard winning the USA's first gold!

Re:

jmdirt said:
I enjoy pretty much every event, in moderation of course. I only watch most of these events every four years so its nice. I disagree about the 'flips and tricks' because the games have evolved and need to if they want to stay relevant with the youngsters. ie: Red Gerard winning the USA's first gold!
That's as may be, but I'm a curmudgeonly old crank, and anything that has a place at the X Games has no value or relevance to the Olympic Games as far as I'm concerned. Similarly, I think it's a travesty that 'going back and forth on a bike over some bumps and trying not to fall over' pays an Olympic gold medal and the kilo TT doesn't. Moguls I get - there's a clear objective over who's the best. I hate ski cross (aka "be the first out of the gate, and win") but I get it. Be the fastest, go the furthest, score the most. But Slopestyle, Aerials, Halfpipe, I just don't.

I don't give a flying one if it's a great story that some stoner kid in baggy salopettes can win an Olympic gold by doing a somersault on a snowboard, but you know, good for him that he took the opportunity he was given. Credit where it's due for being the best, I don't hold it against the competitors, other than that I don't value or really respect the sport they compete in. But if that's the kind of competition we have to phase in to keep the Games accessible to "the yoof of today", it's all well and good only as long as, unlike the Olympic BMX, it isn't coming at the expense of other events. It needs to be additional, not instead of.

He'll bounce back in the pursuit though. That was a stunning recovery job after that miserable failure in prone. Czechs have gone all-out for these Olympics sacrificing all World Cup pretences with Koukalová out, they were really below par in December, more like the standard we've come to expect from them in January, and two medals in the sprints here - Krčmář had a fair few good races last year but has been fairly anonymous so far in 2017-18, Vitková is obviously proven class, maybe not at her 2014-15 level lately but she's a top class biathlete. Italian men have upped their game pace-wise this season too, Hofer and Windisch have both stepped up their skiing form and that carried Windisch to bronze over equal shooting from Eberhard, Doll and Schempp, all of whom you'd back to beat him in a ski race most of the year.

That recovery by Fourcade was brutal :eek:
I thought he would be somewhere around JT Boe but he skied extremely fast and did 5/5 in the 2nd shooting and finished only 22 seconds behind with 3 misses. Compare that with JT Boe finishing 1:12 behind with 4 misses. Also Tarjei bounced back a bit after 2 misses in the first shooting. JT Boe was out of gas in the final lap even more than Fourcade

TRENDING THREADS