• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Binck Bank Tour, 12-18 August (2.WT)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not sure if it classifies as a pro race but David O'Loughlin won Stage 8 of the Ras in 2008. The Ras would have been a 2.2 level race that year. Definitely nothing since then.
RP0052667.jpg

Those colours really match up nicely...

It’s amazingly bad. I’d quite like to see a head on photo of that kit with the rider standing.
Not sure if it classifies as a pro race but David O'Loughlin won Stage 8 of the Ras in 2008. The Ras would have been a 2.2 level race that year. Definitely nothing since then.
RP0052667.jpg

A .2 isn’t a “pro race”, even though many of the riders will be professional cyclists. It’s entirely possible that Bennett really was the first. The Irish pro championship started up after the Kelly/Roche period, so they never held it. The older riders among the current batch of pros, won it in their youth but then had dry seasons afterwards. The champs in between were much less prominent and rarely got to ride a pro calendar.

Lol it has just occurred to me that I’ve never before seen anyone win a pro road race in an Irish champions jersey. I don’t know when it last happened. There’s a possibility that it has NEVER happened.

(It has happened in the ITT)

According to PCS David McCan won stage 5 of Tour of Qinghai Lake as a national champion without leading some classification.

Lol it has just occurred to me that I’ve never before seen anyone win a pro road race in an Irish champions jersey. I don’t know when it last happened. There’s a possibility that it has NEVER happened.

The post-race interviewer was very fast to deliver the info gobbet that it was the first WT win in the shamrocks. I reckon she had been hanging onto that one for years. SB looked momentarily confused before he worked out an appropriate answer.

According to PCS David McCan won stage 5 of Tour of Qinghai Lake as a national champion without leading some classification.

At the risk of taking this further off topic, I went searching the archives and found a photo of the finish and funnily enough the Giant Asia Racing Team had not finished or gotten around to getting a custom jersey manufactured for him. So McCann raced in the plain Cycling Ireland champions jersey and the Irish National team shorts of the time

25.jpg

Source http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/jul06/qinghai06/?id=results/qinghai065