• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Binck Bank Tour, 12-18 August (2.WT)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stage:
Clipboard.jpg

GC
Clipboard.jpg

I only caught the final 10km. De Plus is a very deserving winner (apart from the d*** move against Hirschi the other day). Wellens was just completely dead.

And no idea how an experienced rider like GVA can mess up his timing in a straight 1v1 sprint on the Vesten.

The way he can climb (among the best) and also time-trial (good if not elite), I think he has to be considered as a future GC rider for the big races (grand tours).
I think they knew the potential he had when they took him onboard. It won't take long before he will move up in the pecking order at the expense of Bennett. They can ease him into the role. Maybe in two years time he can take Kruijswijk's spot, who is already 32i think.

Reactions: Red Rick
The way he can climb (among the best) and also time-trial (good if not elite), I think he has to be considered as a future GC rider for the big races (grand tours).
Nothing wrong the way he was 'used' as domestique. The guy is 22 or something. Gives him time to learn the ropes from experienced leaders and then in 2/3 years he can go his own chance in GT's. He can already in smaller races.

Why on earth did GVA lead out the sprint from so far out? It was like old school GVA. I mean, I could see that working against someone else but not a guy with the strength and speed of Naesen, something he should know since they're friends and training partners.

Last edited:
Why on earth did GVA lead out the sprint from so far out? It was like old school GVA. I mean, I could see that working against someone else but not a guy with the strength and speed of Naesen, something he should know since they're friends and training partners.
It's not the first time, lately van Avermaet almost always launches his sprint from too far just to be passed from behind, a couple of years ago he was a lot better in timing it and IMHO had also a better sprint.

TRENDING THREADS