• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Critérium du Dauphiné stage 1 Aurillac - Jussac 142 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Valv.Piti said:
What a nice sprint from Boasson Hagen, he was by far the strongest there.

He was lucky to get drafted by Politt at the right time going into that corner, and his corner was better than the others. Big contrast with Van Aert who lost too much momentum in that corner. Otherwise he might have come close.
He was very far behind with 500 to go and had to go out in the wnd for a good amount of time before getting on Politt's wheel and then launching his second acceleration. Watch the sprint from the top and you'd see there was absolutely no luck involved here. EBH was a beast today.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Valv.Piti said:
What a nice sprint from Boasson Hagen, he was by far the strongest there.

He was lucky to get drafted by Politt at the right time going into that corner, and his corner was better than the others. Big contrast with Van Aert who lost too much momentum in that corner. Otherwise he might have come close.
He was very far behind with 500 to go and had to go out in the wnd for a good amount of time before getting on Politt's wheel and then launching his second acceleration. Watch the sprint from the top and you'd see there was absolutely no luck involved here. EBH was a beast today.

I didn't say he wasn't the strongest. I said he was lucky that Politt drafted him at the exact right time to slingshot him to the front. Which he was, and your own version of the facts acknowledges that.

You know, its perfectly natural to jump wheels when sprinting. I wouldnt necessarily call that luck. Thats just part of the game when sprinting.

Your first post suggested to me that it was luck and not so much his strength which resultat in the result.

Re: 2019 Critérium du Dauphiné stage 1 Aurillac - Jussac 142

Cance > TheRest said:
Yeah, and the Vuelta stage in 2013 is a lot more comparable to today than an uphill sprint on Cauberg, where Gilbert did not directly sprint against EBH. I just simply found the comment odd, to be honest. Why make the comparison with the 2012 WCH when the two races have very little in common and is not even the last time it happened before today? :confused:
It was those two, 1 and 2, in a WCH, I remembered.

Re: 2019 Critérium du Dauphiné stage 1 Aurillac - Jussac 142

Great win by Edvald. Too many hills for the pure sprinters, so classics strong men filled the top positions at the finish. Most of the riders in the reduced bunch were climbers and GC types. … Nice stage!

EBH's own words on the sprint - (sounds like he's missing a lead out man :))
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/criterium-du-dauphine-2019-stage-1-finish-line-quotes/
"I just tried to get in a good wheel and I was lucky to have a good run through the corner and could carry on the speed. I think it was [Nils] Politt from Katusha-Alpecin, I was sitting on his wheel through the corner and managed to keep the speed so I’m happy that I managed to get through the corner in such a good position and finally I could get a lead-out from someone else and not me making a lead-out for someone else and opening it up too early. I was happy for that but getting to the final was the hardest part with all of the climbs and the high speed during the stage.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
You know, its perfectly natural to jump wheels when sprinting. I wouldnt necessarily call that luck. Thats just part of the game when sprinting.

Your first post suggested to me that it was luck and not so much his strength which resultat in the result.
My point was that Politt made a move right in front of him, so EBH didn't even have to jump to his wheel, Politt basically "offered" it. That was my point. Hadn't that been the case, it may have been too much to come from that far behind. So, while i agree that he was the strongest, his positioning prior to the final 250 meters, nearly cost him. That's why i feel he was lucky.

TRENDING THREADS