• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 11: Carpi - Novi Ligure 206 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win stage 11?

• Pascal Ackermann

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Elia Viviani

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Caleb Ewan

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Matteo Moschetti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SELIG Rüdiger

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Giacomo Nizzolo

• CIMOLAI Davide

• Other (Vino/Remco)

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
Re:

Lequack said:
Putting all the sprint stages at the beginning is the only only way to pamper to sprinters and make them come to the Giro. Then they can leave before the mountains start. It's how it's done in the Tour every year.
Cipollini: the Tour first did something if I remember correctly. So your last sentence is not accurate. But something can be said about back-loaded races and no incentive for sprinters to stick around.

Re:

Lequack said:
Putting all the sprint stages at the beginning is the only only way to pamper to sprinters and make them come to the Giro. Then they can leave before the mountains start. It's how it's done in the Tour every year.

So what happens on the Champs-Elysees every year? A parade, I know, but at least there's a sprint. No, make those big blokes suffer in the gruppetto - it's good for their character. ;)

Viviani to finally get his win (or someone from his train) - Italy rejoices, confetti is thrown, champagen poped and Viviani can go home with at least one stage win.
Good to see Moschetti suffered no serious injuries and we await Bora's decision on Ackermann.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Viviani to finally get his win (or someone from his train) - Italy rejoices, confetti is thrown, champagen poped and Viviani can go home with at least one stage win.
Good to see Moschetti suffered no serious injuries and we await Bora's decision on Ackermann.

Well, Moschetti won't start, so I don't know what you mean? He didn't break anything but was still injured quite sufficiently.

Ackermann won't win today and I don't think Viviani will either. His shape seems seriously unimpressive and today's stage is probably too long for him considering that he wasn't even that close yesterday even though the sprint played out pretty perfectly for him.

I think it's between Ewan and Démare.

Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Lequack said:
Cipollini: the Tour first did something if I remember correctly. So your last sentence is not accurate. But something can be said about back-loaded races and no incentive for sprinters to stick around.

McEwen always did half the Giro before doing the Tour, sometimes a bit more.

This year the stages are devided between several sprinters, none of them is much much better then others. But Ackermann is a bit faster then the others, but not like he takes 4 or more stage like Gaviria or Viviani the last years. Great to see. I expect the same @ Tour de France. Today maybe Viviani.

D7KPgphW0AAI9mo.jpg

SafeBet said:
Cinemaniak said:
What if Groenewegen would be part of this Giro? He could have won almost every stage in the first week and call it a day to prepare for 'Le Tour'...
Almost every stage?
Stage 2, 3 and 5 yes. Stage 8 I'm not so sure. No chance of winning any other stage.
even Stage 2 would have been tough to win for him, as his start would probably have resulted in a way bigger pace on the climbs

tobydawq said:
Well, Moschetti won't start, so I don't know what you mean? He didn't break anything but was still injured quite sufficiently.

I meant he was lucky he had only a dislocated shoulder and lots of bruises - I thought it looked a lot worse from the TV pictures. The man himself -
D7Hh3ewUEAAX9o7.jpg

DJ Sprtsch said:
Eyeballs Out said:
200 km of Frapporti and Cima in the break - sprinter teams will be wary of such a dangerous attack and won't given them any more than 3 mins. With any luck it will be over before it gets dark

You forgot Maestri, otherwise: spot on!

Yeah, that's got to be in the top 10 of most accurate predictions in the history of the forum. I'm just not sure about the finishing before dark part.

TRENDING THREADS