2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 13: Pinerolo - Lago Serrù 196 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 13: Pinerolo - Lago Serrù 196 k

AT LAST

I expect Aquaman Lopez & Landani to start the action- then Yates will try out while leaving Nibs & Roglic playing tactics.
 
Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 13: Pinerolo - Lago Serrù 196 k

So excited for tomorrow. Considering how Nibali looked so far I can see smashing everyone tomorrow but we will see. This is so unpredictable that nibali might as well lose two minutes. I'd say yates is the most likely winner
 
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Koronin said:
This is a stage for the climbers to show themselves. It's one that Landa can win, but he's only the only climber here.
??

MAL is a climber as is Yates

BTW how fantastic is Pavel Sivakov ...just 21 and already up with the best ..real deal GT rider

I screwed up that sentence. It was supposed to day he's not the only climber here. Obviously not paying enough attention when I was typing.
 
Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 13: Pinerolo - Lago Serrù 196 k

Koronin, copy, paste, delete will do that to you my friend :)

Yes, finally. Nowhere to hide tomorrow. The contenders will need to show their cards. If Primoz survives this with no time loss, hats off to him, and it may happen as I'm very reluctant to believe that many will gamble, or at least risk losses by attacking big. I hope to be proven wrong. There will be gaps for sure, whether they result in a clearer GC picture, we'll see.
 
Roglic's fate is everyday someone from GC team will/should carry severe attack. And rest of the pack will/should respond to it.
This may produce a lot of fatigue in the end of the race. So he will have to get to the next level if he want to stay on the top.
 
Too hard for the break to survive probably. Nowhere to hide on this stage and Roglic will have to be good. This stage will probably be the end of a few GC riders that have already shown less than ideal form. Not the sort of stage you want to have a mechanical on or get isolated. This should show how good Yates really is. The lack of team mates for Roglic yesterday when the road steepened was a worry.
 
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Koronin said:
This is a stage for the climbers to show themselves. It's one that Landa can win, but he's only the only climber here.
??

MAL is a climber as is Yates

BTW how fantastic is Pavel Sivakov ...just 21 and already up with the best ..real deal GT rider
I, too, am impressed with Sivakov so far. Stage 13 should reveal even more, though I think one of the pre-race GC favorites will probably gain some time (yes, I know, a wild prediction). :D
 
It remains a pity that the final climb has an almost flat middle section. This might discourage the top favourites from attacking early. The real battle between the big names might be restricted to the final 6 km, especially with the even tougher stage of tomorrow in mind.
 
Aug 18, 2017
982
0
0
Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 13: Pinerolo - Lago Serrù 196 k

Laplaz said:
We head towards another new climb, but unlike Pian del Lupo, this one is very famous between cycling fans: Colle del Nivolet, with all its 2615m of glorious and immaculate scenery, in the middle of the national park of the Gran Paradiso (literally, the Great Heaven). Today we will not climb all the way to the top however, but only up to Lago Serrù (GPM1, 20.3 km at 5.9%), at 2247m of altitude. It's unfortunate... but it's something nevertheless, and hopefully this will pave the way to a finish at the top in the near future.

Unlikely.
Gran Paradiso national park is Italy’s oldest national park and was originally intended to protect the alpine ibex from being hunted into extinction. Nowadays it is a protected area for many species, Golden Eagles most notably for the Giro as it will directly influence TV coverage. There are a number of restrictions placed on the race to allow it to enter the park. As mentioned we will not go all the way to the top of the pass and helicopters also have a number of no-fly-zones to consider in order to not disturb the nests of the eagles. Park rangers will be onboard the TV helicopters to make sure they respect these restrictions.
 
I am surprised that so many seem to think Roglic will be dropped today. Why is that? It's difficult to gauge his level based on yesterday's stage since the only time he did anything was when Nibali tried to go away and that wasn't even an attack.

His team is definitely gonna cause him a lot of troubles if they don't pick it up but he was very calm and smart yesterday and probably expended the least amount of energy of anyone in that group.

The only way he will lose time is if Lopez, Landa or perhaps Carapaz or Majka goes away early on the last climb. I don't think he will chase these riders too hard since he won't give Nibali or Yates the chance to exploit him. There's no way he is gonna get dropped by Nibali today.
 
Lupo looks like a beast, really looking forward to that. I doubt any GC guys will take off from there, but it should provide a strong selection, which will make the finish (which looks very hard as well) more unpredictable.
 
Finally....A MTF!
Nowhere to hide. Hoping for really good attacks from some of the contenders.
Don't love any of the GC guys here, however, I'm impressed by Carapaz.
Will watch it for the show. I hope its carnage. Don't think the time gaps will be huge between GC guys here.
My picks: Yates, Nibali
 
Aug 30, 2015
91
0
0
Re:

Bushman said:
I am surprised that so many seem to think Roglic will be dropped today. Why is that? It's difficult to gauge his level based on yesterday's stage since the only time he did anything was when Nibali tried to go away and that wasn't even an attack.

His team is definitely gonna cause him a lot of troubles if they don't pick it up but he was very calm and smart yesterday and probably expended the least amount of energy of anyone in that group.

The only way he will lose time is if Lopez, Landa or perhaps Carapaz or Majka goes away early on the last climb. I don't think he will chase these riders too hard since he won't give Nibali or Yates the chance to exploit him. There's no way he is gonna get dropped by Nibali today.
I'm not agree with you. Rarely Nibali was on top form in a great tour like this year. Yesterday Slongo (Nibali's trainer) said that Nibaly choose to stay in the main group just to avoid extra fatigue.
I think that today is a good day to try to drop Roglic, and I think that because Nibali is the one who can permit to never reply to the attaque of good climber like MAL, Yates and Carapaz. Roglic is the man to beat and he is a man with a very weak team.
 
Apr 3, 2016
400
0
0
Nibali to be mad Roglic stayed on his wheel all day. Landa, Majka and Polanc to loose time, Yates to gain 10 seconds. Roglic to stay cool as a cucumber.
 
Re:

Bushman said:
I am surprised that so many seem to think Roglic will be dropped today. Why is that? It's difficult to gauge his level based on yesterday's stage since the only time he did anything was when Nibali tried to go away and that wasn't even an attack.

His team is definitely gonna cause him a lot of troubles if they don't pick it up but he was very calm and smart yesterday and probably expended the least amount of energy of anyone in that group.

The only way he will lose time is if Lopez, Landa or perhaps Carapaz or Majka goes away early on the last climb. I don't think he will chase these riders too hard since he won't give Nibali or Yates the chance to exploit him. There's no way he is gonna get dropped by Nibali today.
WHY? The chance is always there while discussing about a couple of pretty much even riders. ;) But the likelihood of Roglić improving him climbing compared to the 2018 Tour is definately higher than Nibali coming back to the level of the 2014 Tour / 3rd week of the 2016 Giro. That's where I agree with you.
 
weird public opinion. Roglic doesn't attack and just follows for 1 stage = "RoGlIc iS wEaK aNd hIs TeAm tOo"

Jesus, he followed everyone bar Landa/Lopez, who were too far away to waste any energy on. And his team, well, let's be honest here, how many riders were even left in that favorite group at the top. 10 right? Even with De Plus I doubt he'd ever have any teammates there. Nor did the others. If you can fault Jumbo for anything it's that they should have had Bouwman or Tolhoek in the break. And speaking about those two, they were in the group with Formolo/Jungels.. arguable top 10 GT material normally.

Point being. Roglic isn't as weak as some people think he is and neither is his team.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
weird public opinion. Roglic doesn't attack and just follows for 1 stage = "RoGlIc iS wEaK aNd hIs TeAm tOo"

Jesus, he followed everyone bar Landa/Lopez, who were too far away to waste any energy on. And his team, well, let's be honest here, how many riders were even left in that favorite group at the top. 10 right? Even with De Plus I doubt he'd ever have any teammates there. Nor did the others. If you can fault Jumbo for anything it's that they should have had Bouwman or Tolhoek in the break. And speaking about those two, they were in the group with Formolo/Jungels.. arguable top 10 GT material normally.

Point being. Roglic isn't as weak as some people think he is and neither is his team.
Everybody is doomed, Roglic will win with one leg fingers in the nose. You are right of course, no indication that Roglic is weak but with his team, I don't agree. There were lots of Astana, MS and Movistar and even Bahrain involved in a piece of cake stage for what will follow but no Jumbo. Today there will be none with him, if he's lucky, after about 4 km on the penultimate climb.
 
Re:

SafeBet said:
Maybe not today but I can see Mollema cracking over the weekend.

I think Carapaz looks incredibly sharp. If Landa keeps attacking from afar he could benefit the most.
Mollema was already dropped on the climb yesterday, I expect him to loose a decent amount of time before the rest day.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts