• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 15: Ivrea - Como 232 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

RattaKuningas said:
I am hoping that Yates will be able to do something. If he feels any good I don't see a reason why he shouldn't be able to do something on the last climb.
We've seen in the last two dayas that there are at least 5 men who climb better than Yates. His only chance to do something is if they stop racing as 4 of them did yesterday.

Re:

F_Cance said:
so will they let the break win?
I think so. Movistar wont catch them Jumbo wont, Astana obviously wont. Then you have MS and Bahrain and potentially EF, but nah, I think everyone saves their legs today (you still need to go deep on Civiglio tho) and waits the queen stage which maybe isn't the queen stage no more.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Climbing said:
I'd test some legs on Ghisallo and on Sormano descent...
Edit: but might as well be a truce day.
No, it will be Antonio on Ghisallo, Caruso on Sormano and Pozzo on Civiglio. I'm pretty sure Nibali wants a win and today he has a pretty good chance.
Maybe, surely not with 14 mins on the break though. Trying to gain time if possible, yeah he might try.

Valv.Piti said:
F_Cance said:
so will they let the break win?
I think so. Movistar wont catch them Jumbo wont, Astana obviously wont. Then you have MS and Bahrain and potentially EF, but nah, I think everyone saves their legs today (you still need to go deep on Civiglio tho) and waits the queen stage which maybe isn't the queen stage no more.
what a boring day then. Always hate when stages play out like this.

I don't believe that all of the 20 teams in the peloton are happy with this situation. There was quite a fight to get into the break so there definitely were some interests. I expect the advantage to melt like ice in the sun as soon as they hit the first climb after pushing the big gears for 160 km.

Re:

Sestriere said:
I don't believe that all of the 20 teams in the peloton are happy with this situation. There was quite a fight to get into the break so there definitely were some interests. I expect the advantage to melt like ice in the sun as soon as they hit the first climb after pushing the big gears for 160 km.
don't think that 16 minutes aren't enough for the break once the climbing starts. Peloton just doesn't care and the gap is still growing.

F_Cance said:
Sestriere said:
don't think that 16 minutes aren't enough for the break once the climbing starts. Peloton just doesn't care and the gap is still growing.
Yeah, someone has got to take responsibility soon...

And as I write, Mitchelton goes to the front.

Movistar want to use Pedrero and Amador as little as possible here, which makes total sense. They will need rouleurs and ATVs to carry them through a fair amount of mountains if they want to defend the maglia rosa throughout the final week, so controlling a 230km intermediate stage and exhausting Rojas, Sütterlin, Carretero and Más is not going to be in their best interests. They will want Carretero, Más and Amador to help in as many slopes as they possibly can in week 3 as they still need more time on Roglič with another TT to come (see, this is why TT mileage is a good thing for GTs). Cattaneo is 37 minutes down, so why not let the break take this day? Movistar have already got everything they could need out of the Giro - two stage wins and time in the maglia rosa. They've already had a good race; anything else is bonus. There are plenty of others, however, who still need to salvage something from their race and for whom this is a potentially good stage. If the stage win is out of the equation, that's 10" fewer that anybody can gain on Carapaz.

TRENDING THREADS