• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 18: Valdaora-Santa Maria d.S. 220km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
yaco said:
SafeBet said:
yaco said:
Denz needed most of the original break of nine to stay with him and then he may have won the stage - Nippo Vinni Fantini have added nothing to the race and somehow fluke a win.
This guy has spent 1000 km in breaks during the last 20 days.

A few teams have added little to the race - Dimension Data, Israel Cycling Academy, Bardiani - At the end of the day, Nippo Vini Fantini got lucky because they have no climber types in their team which are you best chance for a PCT to win a stage, especially when you have a predominantly sprint line up which is limited.
Honestly Dimension Data are the biggest waste of team other than Cofidis
But DD is WT so their ineptitude seems worse.

Glad to see Ackermann back in the points jersey considering he won the most sprint stages and only lost the jersey due to a crash. Also, I get that they just wanted to protect the points jersey but it seemed a bit lame that Fdj weren't going to go for another stage win in a situation where there was only one top sprinter left to challenge Démare.

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 18: Valdaora-Santa Maria d.S. 2

RedheadDane said:
dfromdub said:
fuiers said:
What just happened? Somebody destroyed a bike in front of break:D
I was only listening to RAI coverage and they were talking about some crazy guy throwing stuff.
I could not see what happened, fortunately nobody got hurt.

EDIT: it has just been reported by RAI that, apparently, he was a bit inebriated and wanted to participate in today's stage, he was obbiously denied that, so he lost his marbles

A bit?

I seem to remember that someone a few years ago thought they could ride with a GT peloton which resulted in a big crash.
Edit - yep, stage 2 in 2015 Giro - see youtube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoNFSiCq9Lo

jaylew said:
Scarponi said:
yaco said:
SafeBet said:
yaco said:
Denz needed most of the original break of nine to stay with him and then he may have won the stage - Nippo Vinni Fantini have added nothing to the race and somehow fluke a win.
This guy has spent 1000 km in breaks during the last 20 days.

A few teams have added little to the race - Dimension Data, Israel Cycling Academy, Bardiani - At the end of the day, Nippo Vini Fantini got lucky because they have no climber types in their team which are you best chance for a PCT to win a stage, especially when you have a predominantly sprint line up which is limited.
Honestly Dimension Data are the biggest waste of team other than Cofidis
But DD is WT so they're ineptitude seems worse.

Glad to see Ackermann back in the points jersey considering he won the most sprint stages and only lost the jersey due to a crash. Also, I get that they just wanted to protect the points jersey but it seemed a bit lame that Fdj weren't going to go for another stage win in a situation where there was only one top sprinter left to challenge Démare.

Even the sprinters are going for the "placement" game.

tobydawq said:
repre said:
tobydawq said:
movingtarget said:
The break deserved that one. Not sure why Dimension Data were riding as they don't have a sprinter left in the race. Nice finish.

Ryan Gibbons.
He is 4th tier sprinter

And also the absolute last chance Dimension Data had of a result in this Giro.
So no chances. I believe more in the breakaway with O'Connor

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
The riders were warming up 2-3km away from the town, towards Furcia, so walking there woukd have been a bit long.
I just watched the start, Roglic had a lot of Sovenian fans there to support him.
I was able to talk a bit with Sciandri before the start.

So no pictures with Landa this year?

Re:

Lequack said:
Marginal gains by Quickstep
"NormaTec is the ultimate athlete recovery. Our dynamic compression systems give a competitive edge to the world’s elite athletes, coaches, trainers, and YOU."

I wonder what fraction of the advantage is it simply restrains the riders, forcing them to rest. This would be cheaper:

41iPwKtiVvL.jpg

TRENDING THREADS