• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 21 ITT Verona 17 km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

huge said:
At the end just above a min between Nibali and Carapaz... Nibali is going to think about the stage to Courmayer for a very very long time.

Even though I'm convinced that Carapaz could have dropped him in the mountains if necessary, also considering he had a strong Landa at his side
Those numbers don't matter today. Maybe he rode the TT not to crash today. He rode defensively last week. If Nibali had the strength to follow he should have followed. If he didn't know how to read cyclists when they are in crisis then is his mistake as well and that's part of racing.

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
huge said:
At the end just above a min between Nibali and Carapaz... Nibali is going to think about the stage to Courmayer for a very very long time.

Even though I'm convinced that Carapaz could have dropped him in the mountains if necessary, also considering he had a strong Landa at his side
Those numbers don't matter today. Maybe he rode the TT not to crash today. He rode defensively last week. If Nibali had the strength to follow he should have followed. If he didn't know how to read cyclists when they are in crisis then is his mistake as well and that's part of racing.

It's almost funny that Roglic seemed to be on his limit most of the time in mountains but Nibali misread that like he was slacking off. Either Roglic has a good poker face or Nibali got the wrong info. :)

Escarabajo said:
huge said:

Nobody took all risks probably. He was losing a load of time on the uphill part too.

glassmoon said:
Carols said:
I'm so happy for Primoz, 2 stages and a podium. He Suffered and Fought for that result!
+1

Me too. Very courageous effort to find the podium. You could tell his energy was fading all week. Landa was stronger than I was expecting for the TT. Nibali about as expected -- i.e., very, very good. Carapaz was good enough on the TT, still with a minute to spare. Great effort by all.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Red Rick still whining about the time lost by Nibali last week.

If we really review it would never have been 3 minutes anyway. Something inside of me tells me that Nibali wasn't that strong. Then start playing cat and mouse games with Roglic.

The cat and mouse games helped Roglic get on the podium. He was struggling a long way from the finish. Movistar really should have had two riders on the podium while Nibali showed little respect for Landa and Carapaz and it cost him. Nibali has had a great career but his tactics in this race were godawful. A guy that had never podiumed a grand tour was his biggest threat because he rode well in a bunch of much shorter races ? Total miscalculation. Maybe he would have done the same with Richie Porte ? For someone who is supposed to be a very clever rider it was very weird to witness.

huge said:
Absolutely.

Easy to say afterwards. Nobody saw him as a real threat at that point.
That I guess is the beauty of cycling. Surprises are always around the corner.
Plenty of people here saw him as a threat. You don't gift a very good climber with a very good team 2-3 minutes. That's a capital mistake. Just race. Learn from the cobbled classics.

D8EY0ECXYAAuGeW.jpg:large

Carols said:
bajbar said:
Carols said:
bajbar said:
Did Nibali just ignore Roglič on the podium :Neutral: :surprised:

Did he??? That would be very poor form :(

He shook hands with all the officials and Carapaz but walked straight past Primož... he might be angry but still...

I've been a Nibali fan for 10+ years, but that is just plain rude Vince. Very disappointing :(
When the Giro is over but the psychological warfare is never over.

Red Rick said:
Carols said:
bajbar said:
Carols said:
bajbar said:

He shook hands with all the officials and Carapaz but walked straight past Primož... he might be angry but still...

I've been a Nibali fan for 10+ years, but that is just plain rude Vince. Very disappointing :(

Yeah well in his interview Roglic said he's had stomach problems since the 'short stage'. That would be 14. So Nibali blew a Giro win wasting time berating a sick man......pretty dumb Vince :(

Red Rick said:
Carols said:
bajbar said:
Carols said:
bajbar said:

The beginning of a beautiful friendship.

"If he continues to ride like that he won't win this Giro. I won't win it too but neither will he."

True.

Red Rick said:
huge said:
Salvarani said:
huge said:

Hindsight is great, but he couldnt know Carapaz would be that strong. Nibali rode a perfect race. Someone was just better.

Absolutely.

Very hard to say somebody was just better when you give away three minutes and lose by just over one minute.

Unless we conveniently ignore ITTs as part of racing.

Better, as in there was someone before him that won the race. Whether it be because of tactics, form or ability is another question.

Jagartrott said:
huge said:
Absolutely.

Plenty of people here saw him as a threat. You don't gift a very good climber with a very good team 2-3 minutes. That's a capital mistake. Just race. Learn from the cobbled classics.

Opinion of Nibali down quite a few notches after seeing him ignore Roglic on the podium. Also terribly bad for mentioning his trophy cabinet earlier on. Honestly glad he didn't win. Was not really a fan and surely not now. "Italian thing" or not...I dislike riders/people like that. Roglic was sick too...otherwise I believe this race would have been different result

Jagartrott said:
huge said:
Absolutely.

Yeah so Many he didn't get a Single Vote!!!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34549&start=120