• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 21 ITT Verona 17 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

del1962 said:
Carapaz and Landa where the strongest climbers in the race, would have been interesting to see how much they could drop Nibali mano mano but after Carapaz got away they never needed to

What would have been more interesting to see is what Movistar would have done if Valverde was in the race as scheduled. He crashed while training and had to pull out, but in the end it gave Carapaz and Landa a free role and in the end a win as well.

Re: Re:

Lequack said:
del1962 said:
Carapaz and Landa where the strongest climbers in the race, would have been interesting to see how much they could drop Nibali mano mano but after Carapaz got away they never needed to

What would have been more interesting to see is what Movistar would have done if Valverde was in the race as scheduled. He crashed while training and had to pull out, but in the end it gave Carapaz and Landa a free role and in the end a win as well.

Very interesting that Valverde was not at the Giro as planned, when the whole team seemed to finally work well together. Too many chiefs in one team does seemingly not work! :)

Chapeau to Carapaz on the win & Haga for an unlikely win for Sunweb (the 4 man team came good at the last). Tough on Landa to just miss out on the podium again.

D8FLNO9XoAUtLxJ.jpg:large

D8FS8YUW4AIwxpc.jpg

Just watched. Wow, can't believe Haga won. He's one of a handful of WT riders I've actually raced against.

Great finishing ride from Nibs.

Bummed Landa just missed the podium. 2nd GT in a row where Roglic has had a relatively weak final TT.

Phenomenal result for Carapaz and fully deserved.
Good to see Nibali finishing strong... there's the Tour ahead of him.
And it was a bit too early too soon for Roglič, after all. But the first Slovenian on a GT podium... with such a biography. That's for respect.
Hopefully, Landa will find a way to the podium again.
Great debut by Sivakov and good to see Majka in the mix again.

As always, an exciting race.

Lequack said:
Valv.Piti said:
search said:
also another good result for Mollema, keeping his "once every two years" record alive ;)

2011 Vuelta 4th
2013 Tour 6th
2015 Tour 7th
2017 Giro 7th
2019 Giro 5th
Considering his talent, thats quite a great GT-record actually. Always hanging on for dear life.

His famous moment yelling "F*** SRAM"
https://streamable.com/o44uh

Deadset I have been laughing at this for 10 minutes

Scarponi said:
Lequack said:
Valv.Piti said:
search said:
also another good result for Mollema, keeping his "once every two years" record alive ;)

2011 Vuelta 4th
2013 Tour 6th
2015 Tour 7th
2017 Giro 7th
2019 Giro 5th
Considering his talent, thats quite a great GT-record actually. Always hanging on for dear life.

Deadset I have been laughing at this for 10 minutes

One of the highlights of the race........

Lequack said:
Valv.Piti said:
search said:

2011 Vuelta 4th
2013 Tour 6th
2015 Tour 7th
2017 Giro 7th
2019 Giro 5th

'Considering his talent' is actually a weird quote since Mollema won Avenir and many other high profile u23 races. He was one of the most talented of his generation. It's just that many of that generation didn't turn out super good. Except mr Bizarro Froome with his late break

bill1109 said:
Jagartrott said:
huge said:
Absolutely.

Easy to say afterwards. Nobody saw him as a real threat at that point.
That I guess is the beauty of cycling. Surprises are always around the corner.
Plenty of people here saw him as a threat. You don't gift a very good climber with a very good team 2-3 minutes. That's a capital mistake. Just race. Learn from the cobbled classics.

Opinion of Nibali down quite a few notches after seeing him ignore Roglic on the podium. Also terribly bad for mentioning his trophy cabinet earlier on. Honestly glad he didn't win. Was not really a fan and surely not now. "Italian thing" or not...I dislike riders/people like that. Roglic was sick too...otherwise I believe this race would have been different result

He published a post on instragram today, explaining why he and Roglic did not shake hands on the podium... just a late excuse? Maybe... this is what he wrote:

"My sincere congratulations to Carapaz for his huge and well deserved victory and to Primoz Roglic for being a valid and strong competitor"

"I'd like to point out that not shaking hands with Primoz Roglic on the podium wasn't done on purpose. We had a chat on backstage just a few moments before the victory ceremony, where we talked about our future, our holidays and we congratulated each other."

TRENDING THREADS