• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France – Stage 6 – Mulhouse–LPDBF - 157 km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

AlexNYC said:
ice&fire said:
AlexNYC said:
What are the chances that someone like Alaphilippe or Valverde will be near the front before that steep finale? From what I’ve read about this stage I gather that’s not very likely, but I wonder.
Why do people keep wondering about the chances of someone who dropped like a stone in Roche aux Faucons?

:eek:
Not even from the break. GVA did better in that situation.

Re:

SafeBet said:
After reading the comments I understand this climb apparently didn't suit any of the best climbers in this year's Tour de France.
Amazing.

Well, Purito is retired, Valverde on dom duty, Froome and Dumoulin out injured, as such Thomas and Pinot were actually the two for whom it suited the best out of current favourites. Rough surface was as significant as the gradients themselves on the new added part of the climb. I did expect a bit more from Bernal though.

Põhja Konn said:
SafeBet said:
After reading the comments I understand this climb apparently didn't suit any of the best climbers in this year's Tour de France.
Amazing.

Well, Purito is retired, Valverde on dom duty, Froome and Dumoulin out injured, as such Thomas and Pinot were actually the two for whom it suited the best out of current favourites. Rough surface was as significant as the gradients themselves on the new added part of the climb. I did expect a bit more from Bernal though.

May have suited a non Giro Nibali

One of the worst mountain stages I've ever watched. No attacks until the final km except Landa.

Today's stage was a quick reminder about why I shouldn't watch the Tour. Awful GC action, same status quo as before, absolutely predictable results with one team having the 2 strongest riders who were #2 and #3 plan for the team (they would have done a 1-2-3 if Froome had raced!)

DFA123 said:
gregrowlerson said:
G's performance was a bit of a surprise, but I'm not sure why some seem to be conceding the race already. The alps are a full two weeks away. Thomas gained very little time on most of his rivals, and the race will be won at the really high altitudes. A good result for Quintana, and Pinot obviously. Nice for Fulgsang, given his stage 1 crash. Good for Porte, given his low key season. And Ineos will hardly be forcing Bernal to race as a domestique yet; he lost what....ten seconds?
Thomas has basically morphed into Froome 2.0. Used to be a poor climber on high mountains; now the best in the world. Used to struggle on steep climbs; now the best in the world.

We'll probably see him attack on a descent at some point, or ride off the front in a break, or win a flat TT. Not because he needs to, but just because he can.

Yeah, it would be so weird if he started winning in a discipline he has been world class in through most of his career.

Red Rick said:
Mayomaniac said:
Ala climbing like the Killer di Spoltore, rather unexpected...
Now watch ASO have no high mountain stages next year.
It's a couple of years that I call for that :D
And now that the anorexic Bardet looks done we could even hope for a return of a decent length TT.

Anyway Alaphilippe climbing form looks really impressive, especially considering that since 2017 has constantly regressed and this year he showed the worst climbing form of his career and at the Dauphine he didn't even try to go for the GC before fading/cracking as he usually does in every weeklong stage race, probably he's at least back at 2016 when he was able to smash the MTF in California and finish in the top 10 at Dauphine, maybe even better but it's hard to say after a stage with climbs more suited to him than high mountains.

Re:

Forever The Best said:
One of the worst mountain stages I've ever watched. No attacks until the final km except Landa.

Today's stage was a quick reminder about why I shouldn't watch the Tour. Awful GC action, same status quo as before, absolutely predictable results with one team having the 2 strongest riders who were #2 and #3 plan for the team (they would have done a 1-2-3 if Froome had raced!)
Well, it is the Tour de France, not the Tour de Stage 6. I didn't expect much today. I think the GC teams are focused on not losing at this point. Still a long way to Paris.

Shitty stage again. Almost watched the entirety of these Vosges stage cause they used to be great fun, but that this was just super disappointing.

Hopefully the Massifs will be better. It only can be. If it isn't, I probably won't watch much of the rest of the Tour.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
****** stage again. Almost watched the entirety of these Vosges stage cause they used to be great fun, but that this was just super disappointing.

Hopefully the Massifs will be better. It only can be. If it isn't, I probably won't watch much of the rest of the Tour.
It sounds like you just had unrealistic expectations. Why did you hope something major was gonna unfold, when every GC contender is still fresh and when you know how the last 3 ascents of PdBF have gone??

D_NoJ2qX4AAlln9.jpg

D_Nm2ZeXkAEM0bi.jpg

D_NlspwUEAAPQHb.jpg

D_NlWs-W4AQFV9c.jpg:large

D_Nmb6OWsAAW19B.jpg:large

D_Nmb6SXYAENdMb.jpg:large

D_NkENQW4AA2_l7.jpg