• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France, stage 10: Saint-Flour > Albi 217,5 km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Geraint Thomas dropped - peloton stops
Pinot dropped - peloton hits full gas

OK, there is nothing to see here

Pinot got dropped because the peloton (mainly DQS and Alaphilippe at first) was going full gas in the crosswinds and made the split, he should have been up near the front. Once you are gapped on a crosswind stage, you are in big trouble.

As for the point you’ve now made on at least 3 threads, yes there shouldn’t be any waiting, even if you crash.

Re: 2019 Tour de France, stage 10: Saint-Flour > Albi 217,5

Carols said:
Wow, Just Wow!!! I thought it was going to be a boring sprint stage so went out and have just now finished watching it. Yikes I thought Pinot was going to be a force in the race but his chances have certainly dimmed :(. EF started the whole thing was Uran with them then? How did he get spit out if he was? Riveting final 35kms and VanAert looked So Good. Jumbo and the Wolfpack are having quite a Tour. And Mas moved up the standings :). G looking like the man to beat but anything can happen!

Sidewind and timing. EF went twice to the front but lost positions when it was important
It really started when Alaphilippe did a strong turn (from 35K to 33K to go). At the end of his shift, 3 EFs were still visible. Then it was Viviani's turn and the split formed
Porte admitted being the one who broke the peloton
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-porte-and-ciccone-lose-time-in-crosswinds/

Here is a good analysis:
https://twitter.com/ybenrajeb

However, what bugs me is how they initially lost a lot of time (surprised and disorganized), then they were closing the gap, got within touching distance, lost almost all teammates, and let it go (some timed the gap to 8 seconds).
It looks like they panicked and sprinted (Lutsenko and Pinot mainly), instead of keeping the tempo to get to the front.

slosada said:
Carols said:
Wow, Just Wow!!! I thought it was going to be a boring sprint stage so went out and have just now finished watching it. Yikes I thought Pinot was going to be a force in the race but his chances have certainly dimmed :(. EF started the whole thing was Uran with them then? How did he get spit out if he was? Riveting final 35kms and VanAert looked So Good. Jumbo and the Wolfpack are having quite a Tour. And Mas moved up the standings :). G looking like the man to beat but anything can happen!

Sidewind and timing. EF went twice to the front but lost positions when it was important
It really started when Alaphilippe did a strong turn (from 35K to 33K to go). At the end of his shift, 3 EFs were still visible. Then it was Viviani's turn and the split formed
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-porte-and-ciccone-lose-time-in-crosswinds/

Here is a good analysis:

However, what bugs me is how they initially lost a lot of time (surprised and disorganized), then they were closing the gap, got within touching distance, lost almost all teammates, and let it go (some timed the gap to 8 seconds).
It looks like they panicked and sprinted (Lutsenko and Pinot mainly), instead of keeping the tempo to get to the front.
"I was the last guy to not get across"

- to me, that implies that the split occurred some places ahead of Porte and that multiple riders got across the gap but he wasn't able to.

Anyway, I agree that 1:40 is an almost impossible amount of time to lose considering it was 4 teams behind - all with the entire team built around a GC guy. It was only really 3 teams riding in the front group (DQS, Bora, Ineo$). Also, the stage wasn't even that difficult. Yes the wind was up but the roads were not very exposed to x-winds - mostly sheltered and twisty.

slosada said:
Carols said:

Here is a good analysis:

Thanks. Yes.

Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
mavmav said:
Simurgh said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Weird you all want to declare the GC over, despite the peloton only having ridden 1 proper mountain stage - bunch of drama queens in here :D

Not even a proper mountain stage and Thomas still won ahead of everybody else ;) It's just a repeat of the last 7 years bar 2014 (which in essence was the same but with Kazakh blue colors). And this year with Froome out and Thomas not looking great and crashing in the spring; it was the first time since 2014 that SKY/INEOS looked like they could be dethroned. The race is not over, no. Crashes, mechanicals, some might get caught in one way or the other, off-day and so on. I bet though, that the race is a lot closer to be considered over than a few hours ago. Thomas will gain around 1 minute on everyone else on the ITT, and so will have a buffer of 2-3 minutes his closest pretend..competitors. I understand the fact that there are a whole lot of stages to go and a whole lot of stuff can happen, but looking back the last 7 years, history shows that except the occasional off day (Froome 2017 at Peyragudes, cross winds 2013, Alpe d'Huez 2015 e.g.), INEOS/SKY only loses time to those they want to lose time to.

By the way, please don't mention Kruijswijk and Buchmann as (what I presume) credible challengers to INEOS. They aren't. Podium contenders definitely! But challengers for the win, no way. Even though I'd love for them to prove me wrong! :D (imo jury's still out on Bernal and a podium, will see how well he fares on the time trial before judging).

So what did Pinot, Porte and Uran and Fuglsang ever do in a GT that Kruijswijk didn’t? None of those 4 ever challenged for a win or challenged SKY. If kruiswijk isn’t a credible challenger (which is a defendable position) those 4 aren’t either.
Is Kruijswijk a consistent GT rider? Yes. Could he win the Tour if INEOS have no bad luck? No.

The answers to those questions are different if you take the three aforementioned riders, because their top level is simply higher than Kruijswijk's.

Therefore, it is fair to say that Kruijswijk is not as credible of a challenger as the other three riders, even if he's the safer bet for a top 5-7.
Kruijswijk arguably is a better general classification rider than Pinot in fact!

Kruijswijk would've won the 2016 Giro d'Italia while Pinot never challenged for the pink jersey in 2017 & 2018!

Kruijswijk was 7th in his breakthrough grand tour, the 2011 Giro d'Italia, a brutal one, while Pinot was 10th in his breakthrough 2012 Tour de France, wining a stage

Kruijswijk placed 5th at the 2018 Tour de France in a depth field, while Pinot got 3rd at the 2014 Tour de France, when Froome & Contador crashed out. So it's about equal.

Kruijswijk actually beat Pinot at the 2018 Vuelta a Espana finishing 4th. Ahead of the Frenchman in 6th position.

Kruijswijk was 3rd at the 2011 & 2017 Tour of Switzerland, winning a mountain stage up to Malbun in 2011. Pinot only finished 4th in 2015,but of course won the prestigious Rettenbachferner mtf.

He's a diesel climber, suited to high altitude climbing on long & regular cols as in this years Tour de France and has a much better time trial than Pinot.

The Dutchman always was the bigger challenger, as Pinot always would have needed to get rid of Kruijswijk in the Pyrenees & Alps to even be considered a podium.

staubsauger said:
Cance > TheRest said:
mavmav said:
Simurgh said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Weird you all want to declare the GC over, despite the peloton only having ridden 1 proper mountain stage - bunch of drama queens in here :D

Not even a proper mountain stage and Thomas still won ahead of everybody else ;) It's just a repeat of the last 7 years bar 2014 (which in essence was the same but with Kazakh blue colors). And this year with Froome out and Thomas not looking great and crashing in the spring; it was the first time since 2014 that SKY/INEOS looked like they could be dethroned. The race is not over, no. Crashes, mechanicals, some might get caught in one way or the other, off-day and so on. I bet though, that the race is a lot closer to be considered over than a few hours ago. Thomas will gain around 1 minute on everyone else on the ITT, and so will have a buffer of 2-3 minutes his closest pretend..competitors. I understand the fact that there are a whole lot of stages to go and a whole lot of stuff can happen, but looking back the last 7 years, history shows that except the occasional off day (Froome 2017 at Peyragudes, cross winds 2013, Alpe d'Huez 2015 e.g.), INEOS/SKY only loses time to those they want to lose time to.

By the way, please don't mention Kruijswijk and Buchmann as (what I presume) credible challengers to INEOS. They aren't. Podium contenders definitely! But challengers for the win, no way. Even though I'd love for them to prove me wrong! :D (imo jury's still out on Bernal and a podium, will see how well he fares on the time trial before judging).

So what did Pinot, Porte and Uran and Fuglsang ever do in a GT that Kruijswijk didn’t? None of those 4 ever challenged for a win or challenged SKY. If kruiswijk isn’t a credible challenger (which is a defendable position) those 4 aren’t either.
Is Kruijswijk a consistent GT rider? Yes. Could he win the Tour if INEOS have no bad luck? No.

The answers to those questions are different if you take the three aforementioned riders, because their top level is simply higher than Kruijswijk's.

Therefore, it is fair to say that Kruijswijk is not as credible of a challenger as the other three riders, even if he's the safer bet for a top 5-7.
Kruijswijk arguably is a better general classification rider than Pinot in fact!

Kruijswijk would've won the 2016 Giro d'Italia while Pinot never challenged for the pink jersey in 2017 & 2018!

Kruijswijk was 7th in his breakthrough grand tour, the 2011 Giro d'Italia, a brutal one, while Pinot was 10th in his breakthrough 2012 Tour de France, wining a stage

Kruijswijk placed 5th at the 2018 Tour de France in a depth field, while Pinot got 3rd at the 2014 Tour de France, when Froome & Contador crashed out. So it's about equal.

Kruijswijk actually beat Pinot at the 2018 Vuelta a Espana finishing 4th. Ahead of the Frenchman in 6th position.

Kruijswijk was 3rd at the 2011 & 2017 Tour of Switzerland, winning a mountain stage up to Malbun in 2011. Pinot only finished 4th in 2015,but of course won the prestigious Rettenbachferner mtf.

He's a diesel climber, suited to high altitude climbing on long & regular cols as in this years Tour de France and has a much better time trial than Pinot.

The Dutchman always was the bigger challenger, as Pinot always would have needed to get rid of Kruijswijk in the Pyrenees & Alps to even be considered a podium.

Really I think 99% of people has amnesia considering the 2016 Giro.

Guess its true what they say, people only remember the winner. Not the fact that he was 4 minutes behind and never would've won if the guy leading the race took himself out 3 days before the end.

staubsauger said:
And he is a decent or even good TT-er although not necessarily in the first week.

TRENDING THREADS