• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France, stage 3: Binche - Epernay, 215km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Matteo. said:
Pinot- Bernal with 5s on the rest. not bad
I thought I knew how they measure gaps but those 5s have made me question my understanding of the rules. Is it not the gap from the backwheel of the last rider in the first group to the frontwheel of the first rider in the next group?

If that were the case, then the finishing times would be compressed; you would de facto not count the time between the first and last rider in a group crossing the finish line at all and the chip times become meaningless, which could get very confusing when there are multiple splits on the road.

Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Matteo. said:
Pinot- Bernal with 5s on the rest. not bad
I thought I knew how they measure gaps but those 5s have made me question my understanding of the rules. Is it not the gap from the backwheel of the last rider in the first group to the frontwheel of the first rider in the next group?

Yes and no.

If that gap is more than one second, then the time loss is the gap from the front wheel of the first rider in the first group to the front wheel of the first rider in the second group.

Re:

yaco said:
I am unsure how they found a time gap with the second group on the road - There seems to be an inconsistency in the application of the rules.

I definitely think there was a gap (more than one second between Bernal's back wheel and Thomas' front wheel). Thomas doesn't ride particularly fast over the finish line which makes the gap seem less real, perhaps.

Re:

tobydawq said:
I agree that if this was 2012 or 2013, he would be the overwhelming favourite but I still don't agree with you when you say there has to be 70-100 people left for him to be in contention.

I mean, last year at Amstel, the guy was on the level of Valverde and stronger than Alaphilippe.
Maybe 100 is a bit too much but today were around 60 in the bunch at the foot of the last stretch to the finish so probably 70/80 on the wall and Sagan in the second half of the climb was slipping behind clearly at the limit when Astana upped the pace, that climbs are harder than Amstel ones and suit less the actual Sagan.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
That victory was never really in doubt when he got such a big gap on the climb when he caught Wellens. No one was even close to the level of Alaphilippe today. And yellow jersey as well. Chapeau!

He had less than 10 sec on that climb, that's not a big gap. Gap become big after the climb, group was disorganized for a couple of minutes, and that's where Ala gain precious time.

D-8v8FpXkAENIx4.jpg:large

TRENDING THREADS