• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de Suisse

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
The Chicken said:
LOL another woeful sprint from Sagan. Borderline embarrassing. And wtf was that bike throw about 100m from the line? :confused: LOL.

Lol, how is it embarrassing to lose a sprint to Viviani when he is perfectly lead out by his train? He tried to beat him, he would obviously have got second if he had played it safe...

He should've followed Viviani for longer. Faded badly again too. And that bike throw :lol: . As Sagan's power continues to fade we are going to see more & more of these unassured, indecisive bunch sprints from him.

The Chicken said:
tobydawq said:
The Chicken said:
LOL another woeful sprint from Sagan. Borderline embarrassing. And wtf was that bike throw about 100m from the line? :confused: LOL.

Lol, how is it embarrassing to lose a sprint to Viviani when he is perfectly lead out by his train? He tried to beat him, he would obviously have got second if he had played it safe...

He should've followed Viviani for longer. Faded badly again too. And that bike throw :lol: . As Sagan's power continues to fade we are going to see more & more of these unassured, indecisive bunch sprints from him.

Sagan was never the fastest in a bunch sprint, even when he wins them, which is also why he is not pegged as a pure sprinter.

You seem to have something against the guy, fair enough, but clearly you lack the foundation of knowledge :cool:

hfer07 said:
So apparently G was taken to the hospital for further diagnostic on his shoulder? That's not very appealing.. :(

apparently is a clavicle injury? damn it ?
I hate it when people call Geraint Thomas "G". Worst ever nickname. Same with "Froomey"

About his injury, it looked as though he (Geraint Thomas) could move his arm fine so collarbone probably not broken.

Re:

Lequack said:
Since when is Tour de Suisse a sprint race?
The stages has been quite hard and hilly but Viviani has climbed surprisingly well. Today you had a climb similar to Willunga Hill just 20 km before the finish but it wasn't enough to drop him.

Or more likely: the GC teams are just waiting to go full gas for the final stages.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Rui Costa , Simon Spilak & Roman Kreuziger always go well at Tour de Suisse

Tomorrows stage looks strange ...climb very steep but far from finish ?

Kreuziger? Sure, he won it 11 years ago, but he is a different rider now (and hasn't finished the race in five years).

Costa? He is already nine minutes down on GC.

Looking at the list of participants, the GC battle seems very underwhelming. Besides those already mentioned (Bernal, Mas, Spilak, Pozzovivo) I think Fabio Aru has a shot at the podium. Maybe Patrick Konrad, Betancur, Soler, Anacona, Hirt, Frank, Carthy or, hell, even Asgreen, Dennis or Craddock can challenge for the top 5. Benoot?

Circling back, you may actually be right that Kreuziger might as well belong to that list.

tobydawq said:
HelloDolly said:

Kreuziger? Sure, he won it 11 years ago, but he is a different rider now (and hasn't finished the race in five years).

Looking at the list of participants, the GC battle seems very underwhelming. Besides those already mentioned (Bernal, Mas, Spilak, Pozzovivo) I think Fabio Aru has a shot at the podium. Maybe Patrick Konrad, Betancur, Soler, Anacona, Hirt, Frank, Carthy or, hell, even Asgreen, Dennis or Craddock can challenge for the top 5. Benoot?

Circling back, you may actually be right that Kreuziger might as well belong to that list.
The route is not optimal for heavier guys with climbs like Susten Pass, Flumserberg and Grimselpass, but, somehow, the quality of this year's GC field is just so low that guys like Dennis might contend for a podium anyway. It's weird watching such a nice route coupled with such a bad field.

Cance > TheRest said:
tobydawq said:
HelloDolly said:

The route is not optimal for heavier guys with climbs like Susten Pass, Flumserberg and Grimselpass, but, somehow, the quality of this year's GC field is just so low that guys like Dennis might contend for a podium anyway. It's weird watching such a nice route coupled with such a bad field.
The weird thing is that not even someone like Laurens de Plus leads Jumbo. Normally you always had these puncheurs with decent climbing abilities going for a top 10 at the Tour of Switzerland. Leclercq, Armstrong, Furlan, Camenzind, Costa, Ulissi, Vichot, Devolder, Kirchen.. That kind of guys.

Also young guns. Super-domestiques that get the chance to ride for themselves ahead of the Tor de France. Apart from Bernal & Frank even those riders are missing.

Part of the problem might be that the Tour of Switzerland has lost a lot of its prestige due to being ridden in camera. It once was the secret 4th Grand Tour when it was a 10 days race in the 90s and early 00s! Since the organizers decided to sell pay TV rights for a big check rather than guarantee pan-european coverage on Eurosport, the TdS has lost a lot of importance!

I don't know how rusty Bernal is.. But if he is just in half-decent shape, he should win all three mountain stages.

The only true rival is Mas, but I don't think he is there yet. He have had a quite spring. I think we will have to wait for the Tour for him to shine.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
I don't know how rusty Bernal is.. But if he is just in half-decent shape, he should win all three mountain stages.

The only true rival is Mas, but I don't think he is there yet. He have had a quite spring. I think we will have to wait for the Tour for him to shine.

Mas started his preparation late (just like Gerraint Thomas for instance) but then crashed twice when he was just picking up form. So his results are kind of lackluster in 2019 but I think come July he should be fine if he does not crash again.

tobydawq said:
HelloDolly said:

You forgot Kelderman

Konrad going for bonus seconds today and taking them from Sagan was telling

TRENDING THREADS