• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de Suisse

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It turned out to be an entertaining stage. Chapeau to Carthy, Bernal, Dennis, and the battlers. Bernal is really a cool customer, and Dennis was surprisingly strong again on the mountains. Carthy . . . well, great stones!

For Dennis, could it be that he now needs to go back and work on his time-trialing? :D

Carthy went high, took a huge amount of points and the stage.
Phenomenal ride.
He was excellent at the Giro too, but today he's been unbelievable.

Dennis looks good.
Bahrain Merida will be an interesting team at the Tour, to say so.
As will Ineos with Bernal in the shape he is and defending champion.

JosephK said:
It turned out to be an entertaining stage. Chapeau to Carthy, Bernal, Dennis, and the battlers. Bernal is really a cool customer, and Dennis was surprisingly strong again on the mountains. Carthy . . . well, great stones!

For Dennis, could it be that he now needs to go back and work on his time-trialing? :D

It could only have been made slightly more entertaining had Bernal needed time from Dennis rather than vice versa.

Stage
Clipboard.gif

GC
GC.gif

Re: Re:

Lequack said:
Velolover2 said:
Tbh, it looked like Bernal was on a training ride.

He will be scary in the Tour.

He'll not get the chance to go for himself I believe. Only as a last resort.
You really think so? To me it looks like Thomas and Bernal both will be captains and let the legs decide who will win the race of the two. And Bernal could very well get a good headstart at La Planche considering Thomas's crash in Suisse.

Bernal just said that it's all for Thomas and he has no problem with it.

"I don't choose to say that I'm the favourite. In any case, I will go with G – he will be our leader. I will try to help him. If he's better than me, for sure I will help him. I don't have any problems to help him; I'm just 22 years old so I think that I have a lot of Tours in front of me."

Re:

Red Rick said:
I like how there's not a single doubt in the world Thomas will be in great shape after diong nothing all year and crashing out of his most important prep race
Seems very odd to say the least. On the other hand, whoever they decide to go for will probably win the race, so why not choose Thomas? He is more experienced and obviously is British.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
I like how there's not a single doubt in the world Thomas will be in great shape after diong nothing all year and crashing out of his most important prep race
Seems very odd to say the least. On the other hand, whoever they decide to go for will probably win the race, so why not choose Thomas? He is more experienced and obviously is British.
Yes, the British riders are the priority and he's the defending champion, so the pre-race hierarchy is pretty clear.
On the other hand, it would be a mistake to hold Bernal back, or sacrifice him if Thomas' struggling.

Valv.Piti said:
Lequack said:
Velolover2 said:

You really think so? To me it looks like Thomas and Bernal both will be captains and let the legs decide who will win the race of the two. And Bernal could very well get a good headstart at La Planche considering Thomas's crash in Suisse.

Looking at stage 6 I really think the roles might reverse there.
I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas loses close to a minute to the best there (including Bernal).
I think that a Bernal win would be a great marketing operation for Ineos since it would be the first Colombian (and Latin American) winning there which would increase the popularity of the team in that region of the world.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Exactly! Team leadership at Ineos is decided on passport. Diet and shape follows from that.

KZD said:
Valv.Piti said:
Lequack said:
Velolover2 said:

Looking at stage 6 I really think the roles might reverse there.
I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas loses close to a minute to the best there (including Bernal).

Bernal will stay with him until the end. Then he'll do a Carapaz.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Think he should just say *** it and rip it on La Planche.

What are they gonna do, take him out of the race?

TRENDING THREADS