• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They shortened today's race because of flooding, and then they circumvented the flooded part. Then the remaining part of the course was not flooded and thus passable.

I can't believe this needs to be explained.

Would you have preferred there to not be any WCRR just because Valverde could not win?

I would have preferred a race that didn't have these horrible conditions. I didn't expect Valverde to win on this course, but I had expected a good race, which was NOT close to anything that we actually got. What we got was a total waste of time.

Reactions: RedheadDane
I would have preferred a race that didn't have these horrible conditions. I didn't expect Valverde to win on this course, but I had expected a good race, which was NOT close to anything that we actually got. What we got was a total waste of time.

No, it was not.

And what would have constituted a good race?

And who could - in your opinion - have ensured that to happen when it was raining as it was?

They shortened today's race because of flooding, and then they circumvented the flooded part. Then the remaining part of the course was not flooded and thus passable.

I can't believe this needs to be explained.

Would you have preferred there to not be any WCRR just because Valverde could not win?
Right. ²
The biggest problem was the UCI giving the Worlds to England in the first place for a race at this time of year.

A dry or at least less rainy race would have been much better.
Do you know the weather in large parts of the Netherlands and Belgium was even worse today? Wind gusts up to 75 km/h. There were also thunderstorms in Switzerland today, the organizers next year.
There aren't that many dry places in Europe at the end of September and I also don't see why we should aim for that.
Of course we could reschedule the future World Championships to July in Andalusia. 40°C in the shade, but at least it will be dry.

Right. ²

Do you know the weather in large parts of the Netherlands and Belgium was even worse today? Wind gusts up to 75 km/h. There were also thunderstorms in Switzerland today, the organizers next year.
There aren't that many dry places in Europe at the end of September and I also don't see why we should aim for that.
Of course we could reschedule the future World Championships to July in Andalusia. 40°C in the shade, but at least it will be dry.

Obviously Andalusia has much better weather. However, like Southern California being a desert they should have better weather.

So if we do races like this, how about we just tell the vast majority of countries, to not bother sending a team because it's NOT worth the time, energy, money etc because it's obvious they are not wanted anyway.

The biggest problem was the UCI giving the Worlds to England in the first place for a race at this time of year.

A dry or at least less rainy race would have been much better.
Sorry but that is utter nonsense. The weather conditions this week across most of the UK have been bad, but certainly not the norm for this time of year. The rainfall today was not the usual every day occurence you seem to imply that happens in England on a daily basis. There is a risk of adverse weather anywhere in the northern hemisphere in September. Maybe in future all WC should be in Australia, South Africa or South America? Or the Middle East perhaps?

The weather helped make this race interesting today and watchable. To suggest England should not have been awarded the championships because it might rain is complete nonsesne. Sorry but you are just cluthcing at straws now to try and justify your point of view.

Obviously Andalusia has much better weather. However, like Southern California being a desert they should have better weather.

So if we do races like this, how about we just tell the vast majority of countries, to not bother sending a team because it's NOT worth the time, energy, money etc because it's obvious they are not wanted anyway.

Which countries were not wanted?

I assume you mean Spain becasue your sainted Valverde was not happy?

As far as I could see all countires were welcome.

Reactions: LaFlorecita

The weather is unpredictable. Yesterday, it was sunny in Yorkshire. The day before the rainy pro race in Oslo in 1993, it was sunny. Next year in Switzerland, the weather can be nice, but I assure you that Switzerland at an altitude of 900m can be much more brutal than Yorkshire today.

Real athletes accept that these circumstances can be in favor or against them. It's the charm of road racing.

Reactions: LaFlorecita
Because he likely was going to try to help a teammate knowing he wasn't going to have any success in this kind of weather. Valverde did call the conditions insane when interviewed at his hotel after he walked away from the race. He said the race was for madmen and he had no intention of continuing.
He said it was "un mundial de locos", which is different from "a WC for madmen" - it's closer to "one crazy WC", in fact.

Moscow did all that work for nothing. He’s probably looking for somebody to punch right about now.
f64e841f39153ed7edecce211d9508f1.jpg

I'd say a very large majority of countries aren't wanted when you have weather like this.

you do realise that the organisers cannot control the weather right? The UCI do not have a crystal ball that can see into the future when they award a championship, right? what occured this week and today inparticluar was freak rainfall for this time of year. Last week the whole country was bathed in sunshine.

To say countires are not wanted based on weather makes no sense.

Reactions: GuntherL

TRENDING THREADS