• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He called the race it's self insane.
I'm telling you about the connotations of what he said in Spanish. When someone says a race was de locos, what comes to mind is something like "this was an extremely fast race", or "this was a race in which lots of unexpected things happened, it was mayhem". In this particular case, it seems to mean "Whoa, that was some weather". It doesn't mean "it was literal madness to have us race in these impossible conditions".

I'm telling you about the connotations of what he said in Spanish. When someone says a race was de locos, what comes to mind is something like "this was an extremely fast race", or "this was a race in which lots of unexpected things happened, it was mayhem". In this particular case, it seems to mean "Whoa, that was some weather". It doesn't mean "it was literal madness to have us race in these impossible conditions".

Add it to the fact he also said he was completely frozen and the rest of his comments. Calling the race insane is an accurate translation. He has said in an interview a year or two ago that if it was up to him he'd never race in cold, rain or snow. So there's that as well.

Heard a few complaints on here and at the race about how it was stupid to award the race to England in September.

My answer to that is it's the World championships it should be held in different climates. If you want perfect conditions for southwestern European riders have a southwestern championships.
Also it didn't seem to affect the Italians much.
No one seems to mention too that yesterday was great cycling weather blue sky fluffy white clouds and I was even worried my super pale Irish skin was gonna get burned on Saturday.
My only complaint about the rain today was that watching all the riders in black rain jackets does take a little of the aesthetic beauty out of cycling

Add it to the fact he also said he was completely frozen and the rest of his comments. Calling the race insane is an accurate translation. He has said in an interview a year or two ago that if it was up to him he'd never race in cold, rain or snow. So there's that as well.

I haven't understood why the whole race is to be judged according to the views of one rider, your favourite, nor why the hard conditions are alleged to have ruined the racing. I saw so exciting racing and the attrition was part of it. As has been pointed out frequently, weather of this really wet and windy kind, with streams and rivers overflowing, is not in fact typical Yorkshire weather in September. It was not to have been predicted. It was nobody's fault.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Hard to blame Sagan for his tactic. I have a problem to remember the race where the elite group was willing to work with him and bring him to finish line unless they had big nombers. (Doha). And he remembers it as well. His best option is bunch sprint or brutal attack in the last lap.
However situation is (was) new with MVP. He should have given it a try.
Anyway, great race great new champ.

Reactions: yaco
I haven't understood why the whole race is to be judged according to the views of one rider, your favourite, nor why the hard conditions are alleged to have ruined the racing. I saw so exciting racing and the attrition was part of it. As has been pointed out frequently, weather of this really wet and windy kind, with streams and rivers overflowing, is not in fact typical Yorkshire weather in September. It was not to have been predicted. It was nobody's fault.

The perception is that it's typical.

The weather did ruin the race. With MORE riders there would have been more possibilities. No one should be riding or racing on roads with water flowing across them. That is a good way to crash and cause injuries. I also do believe a LARGE number of riders who DNFed did so to preserve their own health. That is NOT the way to have a race.

Hard to blame Sagan for his tactic. I have a problem to remember the race where the elite group was willing to work with him and bring him to finish line unless they had big nombers. (Doha). And he remembers it as well. His best option is bunch sprint or brutal attack in the last lap.
However situation is (was) new with MVP. He should have given it a try.
Anyway, great race great new champ.

It was bad tactics on his part. Due to the weather there weren't exactly many riders left to chase as most had abandoned the race long before then.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...-uran-nicolas-roche-vuelta-espana-2019-435943
The perception is that it's typical.

The weather did ruin the race. With MORE riders there would have been more possibilities. No one should be riding or racing on roads with water flowing across them. That is a good way to crash and cause injuries. I also do believe a LARGE number of riders who DNFed did so to preserve their own health. That is NOT the way to have a race.
Water flooding a road can happen in dryer countries too

TRENDING THREADS