• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The perception is that it's typical.

The weather did ruin the race. With MORE riders there would have been more possibilities. No one should be riding or racing on roads with water flowing across them. That is a good way to crash and cause injuries. I also do believe a LARGE number of riders who DNFed did so to preserve their own health. That is NOT the way to have a race.
They DNFed because they were distanced and saw no point in riding on especially in the cold rain. They were distanced because it was a tough race in these conditions. That's cycling.

They DNFed because they were distanced and saw no point in riding on especially in the cold rain. They were distanced because it was a tough race in these conditions. That's cycling.
Because of the horrible weather. Better weather and I suspect a lot who dropped out not only would have finished but would have been in the mix at the end. I suspect there were a lot who would have preferred to not even bother starting in the first place due to the weather.

Because of the horrible weather. Better weather and I suspect a lot who dropped out not only would have finished but would have been in the mix at the end. I suspect there were a lot who would have preferred to not even bother starting in the first place due to the weather.

Weather has always influenced road cycling. Some deal better with the Heat, while others like the cold. Today was rough and didn't suit the Skinny climbers, but suited the strong man.

Deal with it. I love the rainy racing data.

What a great race today. Weather was thank God Just within limits.

Koronin your bias is really strong about the weather, its a bit silly really.

It was a horrible race with horrible weather and should not have been allowed to go on. They are just very LUCKY there weren't any serious injuries due to the horrendous weather. Ranks with Quatar as how bad it was.

Weather has always influenced road cycling. Some deal better with the Heat, while others like the cold. Today was rough and didn't suit the Skinny climbers, but suited the strong man.

Deal with it. I love the rainy racing data.

Actually I'd say it didn't suite ANYONE at all. It SHOULD have been good for Gilbert, but he's one that abandoned. Should have been good for MvdP, but obviously was NOT. Thus proving your premise is wrong and it was horrible for everyone. I also expect that we have riders having to end their seasons due to illness from these conditions. The ones walking away earlier have a better chance of not ending up sick.

It was a horrible race with horrible weather and should not have been allowed to go on. They are just very LUCKY there weren't any serious injuries due to the horrendous weather. Ranks with Quatar as how bad it was.

Actually I'd say it didn't suite ANYONE at all. It SHOULD have been good for Gilbert, but he's one that abandoned. Should have been good for MvdP, but obviously was NOT. Thus proving your premise is wrong and it was horrible for everyone. I also expect that we have riders having to end their seasons due to illness from these conditions. The ones walking away earlier have a better chance of not ending up sick.

Sorry i cant seriously reply to this hysteria. You are alone with this opinion as well, which should be a wake up call....

It was pretty good for Mads Pedersen.

Why am I even bothering?

Goodnight, Koronin. I think this will be the last conversation we have.

I think last years world championship were a HORRIBLE race! So many people DNF because of those HORRIBLE climbs. And with big climbs comes big downhills, we were just super LUCKY nobody died.
Invalid no technical descents and no bad conditions to lead to any of that. Also it was well known that last year's course had maybe 3-5 riders who could actually win. This year's course was open to where at least 20 or MORE riders SHOULD have had a chance, but the vast majority were flat out never given the opportunity due to the weather. Totally different type of race. We will NEVER know how good the race could have been.

So they should have called it off? Good luck with that....

TRENDING THREADS