• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I believe many of those walking away from today's race was a form of protest. Just by having to chance the course it PROVES that it wasn't safe to race. Yes rider's health was at risk. With the conditions today, it's HIGHLY likely many of the riders will end up sick because of it. Many pulled out of that concern. With what Alaphilippe said at the end of the race, I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up sick and possibly ensure he can't race the fall classics for that reason. Yes the weather conditions did put the health of these riders at risk and the risk of illness is putting the end of the season for many of these riders at risk.

#prayforalejandro

Very much this. I would also add, as somebody else mentioned earlier, that everybody rode like gentlemen. All five in the winning move would've been deserving winners. It's also kind of nice that the legs decided, and not two guys looking at each other while the third Lulu-ed away into the distance.

As for those saying it wasn't a good WC, when was it better?
– Innsbruck? Similar levels of action maybe, but today had more epic drama with the weather, MVdP, Gilbert etc. and a more nuanced route.
– Bergen? Boring until the final lap.
– Doha? 300 meters of action in the desert, that's about it.
– Richmond? Less said, the better.
– Ponferrada? See Bergen entry.
– Firenze? Again, see Bergen entry.
– Valkenburg? Nothing really before the last Cauberg.
– Copenhagen? ...
– Geelong? Didn't see the race, so I don't know. Possibly better based on some comments.
– Mendrisio? The most recent WC that was definitely better than today.

If Geelong had had a different winner, it would have hands down been the best worlds I've ever seen (only been watching since 2007 mind you). The fact that it ended in a bunch sprint belied the suspense and action that happened in the last 70km and only came back together very close to the end. I haven't watched it since it was on, but in terms of suspense I remember it being the best I've seen. Right up there with Mendrisio. Today was good, more of a 2010 KBK 'what am I seeing?' kind of spectacle feeling than a 2016 Paris Roubaix really hot race full of action feeling, but definitely epic and memorable.

You mean the majority who WALKED AWAY from the race? There weren't very many who even bothered to finish.

Which if you've ever seen a bike race before is pretty normal. The majority walked away from the race in the womens race... which was held in lovely weather. Its like pro athletes don't see the point in going the full distance when they've been dropped.

Which if you've ever seen a bike race before is pretty normal. The majority walked away from the race in the womens race... which was held in lovely weather. Its like pro athletes don't see the point in going the full distance when they've been dropped.

Except we have had riders stated today it was due to the weather and to not get sick. There were a bunch who WOULD have been in the mix if the weather had been good.

Sun and heat (as long there isn't high humidity) is what you SHOULD be racing in. Cold and rain is what you should not be racing in.

So you want ALL of the races in Europe cancelled up until the Giro. Any Giro stages where it rains are immediately cancelled. We should be OK with June, July and August, but then from Septmeber and October no racing in Europe just in case its turns a wee bit cold and it rains.

Do you honestly beleive what you are writing?

Utter nonsense. Sorry, but you are making no sense at all.

Have a look at WC Men's Elite results: there are dozens and dozens of non finishers every year. Today the last finisher was 19:25 down, last year there were two guys a few seconds farther back than that. 2 in 2014, 2 in 2010. So resilience levels were essentially as good as can be seen any year.

I assume (I'd be happy to be corrected) that anyone much slower than that would have been pulled out by the commissaires to prevent lapping of riders.

Reactions: SafeBet
Given how Belgium has failed today, I can't help feeling regret that Vanmarcke was not selected. Someone with his endurance could do well in a race like today and his form was good judging by his recent results.
He was on my list, so was Stuyven. But this was one epic fail by the Belgian team. I think the only decent shot we had was Gilbert. Conditions too harsh for Evenepoel (i also think that's why he chose to bring Gilbert back even when he was told not to wait, just to be of some use). DeClerq was useful for exactly 2 minutes. Naesen, Wellens, Teuns, being used as domestiques, then they should just have brought real domestiques instead. The plan was to have somebody in every break. They managed to have NOBODY an ANY break.
Naesen's highlight of his otherwise subpar season was MSR, i have no idea why he was selected (well, i do, he's Van Avermaet's buddy, and Van Avermaet is brother in law to the coach). It's clear Verbrugghen is out of his depth. His fails with both mixed team relays further show that. But ofcourse, it's a lotto guy, we shouldn't expect too much other than lotto tactics.

TRENDING THREADS