• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I believe many of those walking away from today's race was a form of protest. Just by having to chance the course it PROVES that it wasn't safe to race. Yes rider's health was at risk. With the conditions today, it's HIGHLY likely many of the riders will end up sick because of it. Many pulled out of that concern. With what Alaphilippe said at the end of the race, I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up sick and possibly ensure he can't race the fall classics for that reason. Yes the weather conditions did put the health of these riders at risk and the risk of illness is putting the end of the season for many of these riders at risk.

I think you underrate the rainbow jersey. The bulk of the riders climbing off were doing so because they knew they didn't have the legs or their chance had gone which is common with circuit races. Those conditions would have tested most people. Looking at some of the photos and the amount of water on the road I think they would have been close to postponing it but changing the route was the best they could do. It's hard to postpone such an event.

I think you underrate the rainbow jersey. The bulk of the riders climbing off were doing so because they knew they didn't have the legs or their chance had gone which is common with circuit races. Those conditions would have tested most people. Looking at some of the photos and the amount of water on the road I think they would have been close to postponing it but changing the route was the best they could do. It's hard to postpone such an event.
They climbed off due to being frozen and shivering. It's very likely they didn't have the legs due to the weather conditions not because of any other reason.
IMO just simply by changing the route they knew they had major problems.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
You have to add 2015 as there was rain in it. Again was light and not cold. The combination with cold causes illness.

Are you European? Central or Eastern European?

I find that many people from those countries still have antiquated ideas about cold weather causing illness.

Cold weather can't cause someone to get a cold or flu. It can lower ones immune system, and viruses spread easier in the cold, but to get sick the person still needs to contract a virus. You don't get sick just from being cold.

Are you European? Central or Eastern European?

I find that many people from those countries still have antiquated ideas about cold weather causing illness.

Cold weather can't cause someone to get a cold or flu. It can lower ones immune system, and viruses spread easier in the cold, but to get sick the person still needs to contract a virus. You don't get sick just from being cold.

I'm American (US). You get sick from being cold and wet, esp if you can't warm back up or it takes too long to warm back up. Then that can cause other problems as well. Any time you have cold and rain and a peloton you end up with sick riders. Happens every time.

They climbed off due to being frozen and shivering. It's very likely they didn't have the legs due to the weather conditions not because of any other reason.
IMO just simply by changing the route they knew they had major problems.

Florence 2013 had 146 DNF in better conditions and a slightly more difficult course
Ponferrada 2014 had 109 DNF in good conditions
Richmond 2015 had 82 DNF in perfect conditions on an easy course
Doha 2016 had 146 DNF
Bergen 2017 had 64 DNF
Innsbruck had 112 DNF

WORLDS HAS A HIGH ATTRITION RATE IN PERFECT CONDITIONS.

Wow, deserved surprise winner, congrats Mads! What a tough race! I thought Trentin had it, then again, I thought MVDP had it before he bonked.
As for the weather - the climate is changing, what used to be predictable months/years in advance is becoming unpredictable and that's going to affect cycling no matter where races are held.

Florence 2013 had 146 DNF in better conditions and a slightly more difficult course
Ponferrada 2014 had 109 DNF in good conditions
Richmond 2015 had 82 DNF in perfect conditions on an easy course
Doha 2016 had 146 DNF
Bergen 2017 had 64 DNF
Innsbruck had 112 DNF

WORLDS HAS A HIGH ATTRITION RATE IN PERFECT CONDITIONS.

Richmond was not perfect conditions. There was some minor rain. Doha was a pointless one to start with. Richmond (according to the riders) was not as easy as it appeared. There were also a few crashes that led to riders abandoning, although not weather related. Of course we also had a car manage to crash on that course. Today you could SEE that it was the weather causing riders to say enough and climb off. It wasn't the course is bad for me or I'm not on a good day, it's I've had enough of this weather.

Theoretically true. But really not the point. If you go outside in the cold you'll easily end up getting a cold.
Shift blame all you want but the end result is the same.

Reactions: Koronin
Theyre pros. They should know their own limits. And its a far lesser health issue than many crashes

This is the first time I've heard a rider specifically state weather as the reason he walked away. You know it's not the first time a rider has done that and others in this race did the same. It's just the first time we've heard a rider actually say it. It's possible that his position within both his national and trade team allows him to be more open about his reasons. This is also the first time I can remember him specifically walking away from a race without being injured.

This is the first time I've heard a rider specifically state weather as the reason he walked away. You know it's not the first time a rider has done that and others in this race did the same. It's just the first time we've heard a rider actually say it. It's possible that his position within both his national and trade team allows him to be more open about his reasons. This is also the first time I can remember him specifically walking away from a race without being injured.

#prayforalejandro

Sagan had exactly zero chance to win as soon as the group with the eventual winner got away. So sorry, but most of those riders didn't have a chance to win. The moment that group got away the race was over. There was no one left with teammates that could chase. Dry weather it's highly likely more riders and more riders with teammates are there to chase.

Sagan screwed up. The moment mvdp and Trenton went i knew they would Stay away. The doms were cooked. Hé made the mistake not to follow that attack, which hé could as hé said so. Thats not due to the weather, thats due to a tactical mistake.

TRENDING THREADS