• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

Page 54 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The “trolling”-button gets pushed too quick around here. You can disagree with his or her opinion, but not every controversial, against the grain standpoint is trolling. That said, I’m still livid about yesterday. Moscon having to sacrifice himself cost me nearly 4000 euros. Cassani did me bad.

Reactions: Zam_Olyas
The “trolling”-button gets pushed too quick around here. You can disagree with his or her opinion, but not every controversial, against the grain standpoint is trolling. That said, I’m still livid about yesterday. Moscon having to sacrifice himself cost me nearly 4000 euros. Cassani did me bad.
Do you not think Moscon would have been allowed to win if he had had the legs? I know Trentin was supposed to be the man, but in those conditions he had his chance to stay with the break. He clearly couldn't hold the pace on the uphill bits towards the end but it's not as if he spent all the time leading. He was really determined to get back when he was dropped the first time and I was very impressed when he did so, but I didn't see his situation as a sacrifice.

Do you not think Moscon would have been allowed to win if he had had the legs? I know Trentin was supposed to be the man, but in those conditions he had his chance to stay with the break. He clearly couldn't hold the pace on the uphill bits towards the end but it's not as if he spent all the time leading. He was really determined to get back when he was dropped the first time and I was very impressed when he did so, but I didn't see his situation as a sacrifice.
You’re probably right, I’m just wondering what would’ve happened had Trentin stopped riding and wait for Moscon. Strength in numbers. I mean, the gap was there to do so. And with Trentin’s supposed strength, I think Kung and Pildaursen would have hesitated to ride.

He should have said "having intercourse".

Well, I'm not prudish but I just thought that Valgren was lucky to have his insights published in full. The "F" word is pretty tame these days, but some publications would not be interested in using verbatim, "I saw on the screen that he'd won, and I was, like, '*** – that was incredible, 'Mads is *** fast actually. "

And incidentally, this section just edited out the words and replaced with asterisks, as if to prove the point!

Having spent a very large amount of time in that area and the surrounding area throughout my life I feel pretty well qualified to say that the weather that's been seen recently around there is pretty atypical. Rain and standing water isn't massively unusual, like many, many places at this time of year, but in general September/October is usually somewhere in the mid-teens temperature-wise and a mix of wet and dry days. It's nothing that riders don't experience every year in a large number of races. We had climbs cut out and stages drastically shortened in the Tour this year in July, but I don't see people saying we should ban racing in France at this time of year. The Giro has had some horrible conditions in, arguably, much more dangerous scenarios, but people aren't calling for RCS to remove all the stages from the North of the country and hold it as a tour of Sardinia. The conditions in the early season classics can be horrendous, but we rarely see people calling for them to be cancelled.

I enjoyed the race. It was attritional but that's part of cycling. If you want perfect conditions then Zwift have a few racing series now that are getting pretty big. The conditions were hard and possibly close to the limit in terms of safety on some parts of the course, but the riders handled them well. Some riders do better in the rain, some don't. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedheadDane
You’re probably right, I’m just wondering what would’ve happened had Trentin stopped riding and wait for Moscon. Strength in numbers. I mean, the gap was there to do so. And with Trentin’s supposed strength, I think Kung and Pildaursen would have hesitated to ride.
Yea, that Pildaursen chap would have been cowed. But if he had indeed hestitated to ride he might even have had more energy for his impressive sprint!

• Haha
I was convinced Moscon was going to get back on and attack with 2-3km to go and no-one would chase.

Having spent a very large amount of time in that area and the surrounding area throughout my life I feel pretty well qualified to say that the weather that's been seen recently around there is pretty atypical. Rain and standing water isn't massively unusual, like many, many places at this time of year, but in general September/October is usually somewhere in the mid-teens temperature-wise and a mix of wet and dry days. It's nothing that riders don't experience every year in a large number of races. We had climbs cut out and stages drastically shortened in the Tour this year in July, but I don't see people saying we should ban racing in France at this time of year. The Giro has had some horrible conditions in, arguably, much more dangerous scenarios, but people aren't calling for RCS to remove all the stages from the North of the country and hold it as a tour of Sardinia. The conditions in the early season classics can be horrendous, but we rarely see people calling for them to be cancelled.

I enjoyed the race. It was attritional but that's part of cycling. If you wanted perfect conditions then Zwift have racing a few racing series now that are getting pretty big. The conditions were hard and possibly close to the limit in terms of safety on some parts of the course, but the riders handled them well. Some riders do better in the rain, some don't. It is what it is.
I fully agree. I hesitated to mention the weather again after Pricey-sky's intervention but I expect you are safe! I was born in God's own county and, weatherwise, you are completely right. One tabloid spoke of twenty days' rain in one and that may be on the money. Can happen almost anywhere.

Well, I'm not prudish but I just thought that Valgren was lucky to have his insights published in full. The "F" word is pretty tame these days, but some publications would not be interested in using verbatim, "I saw on the screen that he'd won, and I was, like, '* – that was incredible, 'Mads is * fast actually. "

And incidentally, this section just edited out the words and replaced with asterisks, as if to prove the point!

You think Valgren has a bad language? Have you ever watched an interview with Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig?

I fully agree. I hesitated to mention the weather again after Pricey-sky's intervention but I expect you are safe! I was born in God's own county and, weatherwise, you are completely right. One tabloid spoke of twenty days' rain in one and that may be on the money. Can happen almost anywhere.

It's something that can be discussed as long as no-one is taking potshots at any user, banned or otherwise. It should be discussed too because it's a huge factor in how people perform.

My grandparents and parents are from West Yorkshire. I used to spend school holidays there and we'd go over to the nicer bits all the time ;)

The weather in Glasgow for the Euros was bad in August. If they'd raced the world's here yesterday it would have been dry. That's the way outdoor events go.

It's something that can be discussed as long as no-one is taking potshots at any user, banned or otherwise. It should be discussed too because it's a huge factor in how people perform.

My grandparents and parents are from West Yorkshire. I used to spend school holidays there and we'd go over to the nicer bits all the time ;)

The weather in Glasgow for the Euros was bad in August. If they'd raced the world's here yesterday it would have been dry. That's the way outdoor events go.

You are almost a true Tyke then! Which part of West Yorkshire? Could have been just up the road.

The Danish news channels and newspapers are transmitting live right now, from Mads Pedersen being received in Copenhagen airport.

He is being interviewed just now, and said something I found interesting:

"When i raised my arms in jubilation just before the line, my legs started cramping up".

Talk about having given everything :eek:
I am sure he is now a massive hero - he seems well grounded though.

I am sure he is now a massive hero - he seems well grounded though.

He is cool as a cucumber :cool:

It's generally being reported as the Danish sports achievement of the year, and as having similar significance to the mens football Euro title in 1992 and mens olympic handball gold medal in 2016.

Incidentally, Mads Pedersen is leading a new trend amongst danish pro riders (those not focused on climbing), in that he has moved back to Denmark and is doing all his training at home, as opposed to most pro riders living in Italy or Spain due to the weather.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS