• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-Stage Analysis

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Btw, I heard Nibali and Sagan are riding...

Stage 10: Lanciano – Tortoreto 177 km
Tuesday, October 13th, 11:55 CEST

ALT_1280X852_TAPPA-10.jpg

PLAN_852x852_2020_TAPPA-10.jpg

Technical Overview:
Straight off the first rest day, the riders will face an awesome stage full of walls and tricky roads in the finale. The first GPM of the day comes after 45 km, possibly with the break of the day still forming. The wall of Chieti (GPM4, 1.1km at 11.5%) is a common sight at the Tirreno Adriatico, so most of the peloton should be familiar with it. From there the riders will head back to the coast, where they’ll stay for 60 km, all the way to the first intermediate sprint of Giulianova. At 60 km to go we reach Tortoreto, where the finish is supposed to be, but the route will take a long detour instead. First, the peloton will ride the GPM of Tortoreto (GPM4, 2.9 km at 7.3%), which is actually two steep walls connected by a short easier section. Its descent leads to another 10 km of flat along the coast to reach the town of Martinsicuro, where an impressive sequence of hills starts. The first one is also the hardest: Colonnella (GPM3, 3.1 km at 9.2%) is just a really tough climb that might do a lot of damage if the pace is high. The top is at 39 km to go, so not too long for attackers to seriously consider to try something. At the top there is a 5 km descending plateau, and then the road will go up again to the wall of Controguerra (900m at 9.7%), which instead of a GPM has the second intermediate sprint. This wall is much tougher than the average suggests, as it features a massive ramp of 250m at over 20% average. After the sprint (33 km to go) there is another descending false flat of 7 km which leads to a little climb of 3.5 km with mostly gentle slopes, having only one serious ramp at 8% in the last km. Another small descent will then bring the riders to yet another climb to Tortoreto (from a different road, 2.5 km at 7.1%). This uncategorized climb is quite irregular and hides another short 20% ramp in the middle. The top is at 18 km to go, and the following descent connects about halfway to the first climb of Tortoreto (GPM4, 1.8 km at 7.2%), so all that’s left is to climb the second wall of it, with max gradient 18%. From here only 11 km remain, 4 of which are a descent and the last 7 are flat and mostly straight along the coast.

UKM_1280X852_TAPPA-10.jpg

The Climbs:
Chieti: GPM4, 1.1km at 11.5%

Used many times in Tirreno – Adriatico. Just short and very steep. No official profile.

Tortoreto x2: GPM4, 2.9 km at 7.3%
This climb is divided into two ramps: the first one, that will be climbed only during the first passage, is 1 km at 15.1%. The riders will enter the climb for the second passage just at the top of this ramp. After another km with gentle slopes, there is another steep ramp with very similar numbers to the first.
ANYDAJt.png

Colonnella: GPM3, 3.1 km at 9.2%
The hardest climb of this stage, it will be the perfect opener for the final sequence. It’s quite constant and does not offer any respite until the top.
Do5gdb1.png

Controguerra: 900m at 9.7%
Just a (really) steep wall. It is not categorized but we have an official profile, so I might as well add it.
TCBB4Aj.png

Tortoreto (Via Badetta): 2.5 km at 7.1%
An irregular climb that hides very steep ramps along with lots of flattish sections, even a short descent near the top.
CHdgzKU.png

What to expect:
The stage suits pretty much any outcome, including a battle between the GC guys. It is possible to attack anywhere in the last 40 kms, and in any case a huge selection in the pack should be almost guaranteed. The last 7 flat kms might be a deterrent for the lighter guys, but still I don’t think they will be much of a factor.

154823_o.jpg

Tortoreto Lido
I think I've seen a similar stage before
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evv5cKN5eAc&ab_channel=tommyfly1000

Party like it's 2013?

Brilliant thread as always.

I really have only two issues with the route: the final rest day comes after Stage 15 rather than 16, which will now probably mostly go wasted, and it's vulnerable to snow. We should be in for a great race though, could very well be the best GT in ten years.

So, the Tour is over, the Worlds are coming this week and I am publishing my Giro preview, just as it has always been every year…

It’s been a rough 16 months without the Giro, but the wait is finally (almost) over.

The 2020 Giro will not start in Hungary as originally planned (I even had my tickets for Budapest ready…) but in Sicily, where it was due to start in 2021. As a result, the two flat stages planned in Hungary have been substituted by two hilly stages in southern Italy, making this edition even harder than it was meant to be, and in my opinion one of the best in recent times.

We will start with a short ITT, then an uphill sprint, then a full mountain top finish… the race will start strong and will stay strong throughout the first two weeks, with lots of hilly stages and very few clear sprints (despite all the best sprinters being present), and then it will become outright crazy in the last week, with three mountain stages of 200+ km and 5000m altitude gain. Granted, being October we will have to pray for good weather, as two stages are at very high altitude, but on the bright side there will be no snowbanks to clear, and no risk of avalanches on the road. Overall, despite the three ITTs, it’s a Giro for climbers like always, but climbers that are not afraid to attack from far, as there are only two hard MTFs in the whole race, and all other chances for attacks are relatively far from the finish.

So, fingers crossed (for everything) and let’s get ready for the first (and hopefully only) Giro edition in October!

NOTE: All stages are due to finish at about 16:30 CEST

INDEX:

Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3
Stage 4
Stage 5
Stage 6
Stage 7
Stage 8
Stage 9
Stage 10
Stage 11
Stage 12
Stage 13
Stage 14
Stage 15
Stage 16
Stage 17
Stage 18
Stage 19
Stage 20
Stage 21

shSpHos.jpeg

dL2RNry.jpg

You deserve a private viewing of Nibali's trophy cabinet for this. Thanks!

Besides the Sestriere and the Stelvio stage I really love stage 10 (murito madness), stage 5 (finally a mountain stage in Calabria) and stage 16 (the final circuit is great).
I also really have a soft spot for stage 13 because I used to go on MTB rides in the Colli Euganei when I was younger and n vacation with my parents, that region has some great hills and muritos, an awesome place to ride your bike and one of the main riding spots for all those who live around Padova and like to ride their roadbike.
I had to smile when Vegni recently said that hes more concerned with low temperatures than with snow. I get that it would be really unpleasant on the Stelvio and Agnello descends on a cold, rainy day, but other than than that I'd rather ride with temperatures around or below 15°C.

So how will the race be affected by being in October in terms of weather, etc?

Is there a lot of rain in the mountains, or is chances of snow at higher altitudes already? I'm assuming it's quite a bit colder than May, especially in the 3rd week of the Giro.
Definitely a chance of snow. I think it was mentioned in a thread some time ago but you could race on the Stelvio in July and there would still be a chance of snow (albeit of course a much much smaller one)
I guess October and May are somewhat similar in that regard. One positive will be though that there won't be huge snow banks in autumn and stuff like a risk of avallenches is much less likely to get a stage cancelled

TRENDING THREADS