• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-Stage Analysis

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've seen this alternative. :oops:

Add another 2 or 3 climbs up to Sestriere on top of that, please.

Ek1lZXmXEAEJYRN

I've seen this alternative. :oops:

Add another 2 or 3 climbs up to Sestriere on top of that, please.

Ek1lZXmXEAEJYRN

The problem is that, even if you add 2/3 climbs before Sestriere from Pragelato, those 2 last climbs are still very easy. From Pragelato they ride at 27-28 km\h, from Cesana a bit slower. Moreover, there are no climbs close to Sestriere, apart from Montgenevre and Finestre...but Montgenevre is not an option because you need to follow the original route (meaning that you must climb from the Briancon side) and the Finestre is not an option because you don't have enough time to prepare the gravel segment of the climb.

The only way to save this is to do the original route with the Agnello. If not, postpone the stage to 2021 and move the finish to Rucas making a circuit with the Montoso climb to be repeated 4 times.

Yeah, how quickly can we get some tarmac wagons to the Sagna Longa road over to Ponte Chabaud?

You need at least another lap of that last 25km. Or else go via the Susa valley and use the small road to Moncenisio, it's probably just a little too far out but at least it's a proper climb and it would take the distance up over 180km

Wrote this in the Nibali thread but it actually seems more relevant here:
Uhm, I'm unsure what to think of this. If they climb the Pragelato side twice that would basically confirm Finestre. However I heard Finestre is out too because it would take too long to prepare the gravel. Now my hope is that either Finestre is in after all or the article is bs entirely. My fear is that the only wrong information is that the Pragelato part and they will actually climb it from Pragelato once before the 2nd ascent being one of the two Cesana Torinese sides

I don't see how the Giro could be considered the cause of gatherings of more than 6 people.
If you don't want gatherings of more than 6 people, just tell the citizens of Briancon to stay home instead of going on the side of the road to see the race.

I mean, come on. We all know that's not how it works and that's not how it's gonna work. Of course a big cycling event is cause for gathering of 6 people or more.

There's no real good options if they can't go through Briancon or climb Finestre without changing start or finish is there?

No, there isn't. You can climb a part of the Moncenisio from Susa, using the old road of Novalesa to go up and then go down again to Susa using the new road.
But, from Susa, you are still far away from Sestriere and you have a long false flat (uphill) on a very wide road until Cesana...meaning that any attack is pointless unless you have at least 1 domestique with you.

They can insert Montoso before starting to climb the Sestriere from Val Chisone (Pinerolo), but there are 80 km from Montoso to Sestriere.
They will simply do a double Sestriere....which is very very easy.

No, there isn't. You can climb a part of the Moncenisio from Susa, using the old road of Novalesa to go up and then go down again to Susa using the new road.
But, from Susa, you are still far away from Sestriere and you have a long false flat (uphill) on a very wide road until Cesana...meaning that any attack is pointless unless you have at least 1 domestique with you.

They can insert Montoso before starting to climb the Sestriere from Val Chisone (Pinerolo), but there are 80 km from Montoso to Sestriere.
They will simply do a double Sestriere....which is very very easy.

Ya, double sestriere is also crap. Maybe 4 times of Sestriere but it's not a tough enough climb to make up for it, and with stage 19 being such a bore, it really makes a crap last few days.

I guess they probably can't change start or finish either. I'd be happy enough if they just cut the rest of the stage after Izoard and just did Agnello and Izoard and finished there. Maybe even go through Cuneo of they need to make the stage longer

Ya, double sestriere is also crap. Maybe 4 times of Sestriere but it's not a tough enough climb to make up for it, and with stage 19 being such a bore, it really makes a crap last few days.

I guess they probably can't change start or finish either. I'd be happy enough if they just cut the rest of the stage after Izoard and just did Agnello and Izoard and finished there. Maybe even go through Cuneo of they need to make the stage longer

I don't think they can change start and finish locations. A local newspaper (L'Eco del Chisone, from Pinerolo) just posted this. Still a shitty stage...

Ek2iibGW0AQfRVi

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts