• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I guess more flat TT kms also favor Nibali over Carapaz.
Last year...

stage 1 8km Giro d`Emilia final: 24s
stage 9 35km climb to San Marino: 50s
stage 21 17km around Verona: 49s

All really difficult. First two more or less MTTs. Wouldn´t be suprised if Nibali can gain even more in flat TTs.

I guess more flat TT kms also favor Nibali over Carapaz.
Last year...

stage 1 8km Giro d`Emilia final: 24s
stage 9 35km climb to San Marino: 50s
stage 21 17km around Verona: 49s

All really difficult. First two more or less MTTs. Wouldn´t be suprised if Nibali can gain even more in flat TTs.
Could be, but Carapaz rides for Ineos now and Nibali's first two TTs on the Trek bike in Algarve and Paris-Nice were pretty mediocre. It's uncertain which way the TT pendulum will swing imo.

Could be, but Carapaz rides for Ineos now and Nibali's first two TTs on the Trek bike in Algarve and Paris-Nice were pretty mediocre. It's uncertain which way the TT pendulum will swing imo.

Also age is in Richard's favour. However, I hope that the shark has another good GT in him.

Great to see that we will actually have some proper gaps after stage one, and a possible sorting out after only stage three.

I don´t think Trek is an downgrade when it comes to TT bikes. More about Nibali rarely doing good TTs outside of GTs these days.
I still remember the Rohan Dennis drama and the complains about Meridas bikes. In the last few years Bahrain certainly underperformed in TTs with the exception of Nibali and Caruso.

Don't doubt Ineos could improve Carapaz' TT, but I have a hard time seeing him put time into Nibali on them. If he does, there's also just a form difference which makes Nibali unable to win the race anyway.

I don´t think Trek is an downgrade when it comes to TT bikes. More about Nibali rarely doing good TTs outside of GTs these days.
I still remember the Rohan Dennis drama and the complains about Meridas bikes. In the last few years Bahrain certainly underperformed in TTs with the exception of Nibali and Caruso.
Nibali's general shape was better this spring than usual though, so I expected that to be translated into TT results too, which it wasn't really. But I agree that it's too early to draw conclusions. Still, I don't buy into the whole "Merida has a terrible TT-bike thing". It was probably more a psychological issue for Dennis.

Reactions: Nirvana
Nibali actually used to be weird in that his ITTs were better than his climbing when out of form. Like in January he'd beat Contador in the ITT in some warm up race on the edge of the world then he'd climb in the grupetto.

I think the Giro ITTs of last year aren't the greatest reference as they all had a decent bit of climbing and they were in different forms throughout the 3 weeks.

Don't doubt Ineos could improve Carapaz' TT, but I have a hard time seeing him put time into Nibali on them. If he does, there's also just a form difference which makes Nibali unable to win the race anyway.
For sure Nibali should take time on Carapaz in the TTs, totally agree. Question is, will it be enough to put him basically out of contention over 70 km of TTs? That I don't think.

Nibali actually used to be weird in that his ITTs were better than his climbing when out of form. Like in January he'd beat Contador in the ITT in some warm up race on the edge of the world then he'd climb in the grupetto.

I think the Giro ITTs of last year aren't the greatest reference as they all had a decent bit of climbing and they were in different forms throughout the 3 weeks.

Something like this maybe?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-san-luis-2013/stage-4/results/

Carapaz is not that bad in TT. I don't see a problem there. Few days back I saw Evenepoel in Algarve. I just think he is too thick for Stelvio and Agnelo. And too young. Even for a guy of his talent. If those high mountain stages get cancelled or modified then it could be a different story.

Stage 5 to Matera
file.php

Stage 9 to Roccaraso
ALTIMETRIE_TAPPE_9.jpg

After all, a very solid Giro this is. Only 3 flat uninteresting stages: Brindisi, Rimini and Asti. Then we get a mix of everything: hard mountains, medium mountains, hilly stages with murito-like finals, hilly stages with flat finals, three solid ITTs (though I liked Budapest more than Palermo).
No real downhill finish is a pity, but we have stage 5, and I am not sure where I would have placed it.
Vieste, Sette Colli and the Friuli stages are perhaps missed opportunities - cut a few kms in the final and we get better stages - but other than that, good and balanced Giro.

yes, the new stages makes the route much better than it was. Of course looking at the whole course, there are improvements possible in the details. For exemple, personally I would have preferred an easier run-in to piancavallo, and instead they used the full potential of the stage to madonna di campiglio. And yes, some interesting looking stages, like the one to cesenatico are at high risk to turn into real transition stages with a big group of for GC irrelevant riders fighting for victory. But the giro suddenly looks less sprinter friendly and most stages offer GC possibilites and at least entertainment for stage victory.

Yeah I have the dreading suspicion that we are going to witness the dawn of a new era at the Giro. This kid is one of the best TTers in the world and is dropping not only Carapaz but THE GREAT LANDANI on a legit climb. Descends like Alaphilippe... I’m sure his recovery is on par with the rest of his capabilities. Only question remaining is adapting to altitude. Old Man Vince will have to have his serious voodoo spells handy at this rate.

TRENDING THREADS