• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And a little bit more flat between the final climbs right?

In any case, Stelvio seems clearly better but it's not like the Gavia option would make a bad stage.

That's marginal. 1-2 kms more flat perhaps. If you do the straightest route through Bormio for both alternatives. The Stelvio alternative will be over 200 km via Castrin, with a long flat section through the Venosta valley.

weren't there more ITT KM in 2015?

Did Contador's domination of that TT end the very long ITT forever?
He was far from dominating, he only finished third and we had bigger (and not by little) gaps in shorter ITTs in the following years. The problem (not for me because i think the bigger TT gaps are the farther climbers are forced to attack, if provided with proper terrain instead of junior mountain stages) was the gap of a single contender that incidentally was the stronger one but lost due to team tactics favouring his weaker team mate because with a team behind him he could have overcome that ITT gap.

Apparently the profile of Madonna di Campiglio got published on today's Gazzetta.
Here it is (from Cicloweb forum)
EHdo98LXkAESCP1

Weirdly, they load the first half a lot, while the second is much softer than I thought. It looks like they want this to be more of a transition stage, as it is squeezed by two other demanding stages. A bit of a shame really, since with Daone instead of Durone this would be an awesome stage.

You can also easily combine Durone and Daone if you go back like 500m on SS237 in Preore.

I sadly don't really have much time right now to check my info (need to work as a semicolon investigator) but if i remember correctly normally Gavia and Stelvio have a much worse weather at the time of Giro than Agnello. I assume it's mainly because Agnello is much further south. I also think normally between Gavia and Stelvio the former one seems to have a worser weather (maybe coincidence or microclimate). It may be possible to use Umbrail (250m below Stelvio) if there are too many weather concerns. There's also a possibility of doing the stage the other way around with Bernina-Livigno-Eira-Foscagno (max alt 2315m). I guess the main problem with both options are the ventures into Switzerland (Munster or Poschiavo). I don't think a 2012 Mortirolo even with Trivigno would be that great especially as it seems the stage before would then have a similar profile.

HHFJ7Bg.png

Last edited:
Such a shame that they don't put the rest day on a Tuesday. If they did, you'd have time trial-tough MTF at Piancavallo-Ragogna loops before the rest day, and then you could put the queen stage the day after by slotting Daone into the rumoured route, which fits really well with the rumoured shorter stage through Gavia the day after. Would be close to perfect in terms of flow, and some good stage designs too. As it stands, it looks a bit average.

You can also easily combine Durone and Daone if you go back like 500m on SS237 in Preore.

I sadly don't really have much time right now to check my info (need to work as a semicolon investigator) but if i remember correctly normally Gavia and Stelvio have a much worse weather at the time of Giro than Agnello. I assume it's mainly because Agnello is much further south. I also think normally between Gavia and Stelvio the former one seems to have a worser weather (maybe coincidence or microclimate). It may be possible to use Umbrail (250m below Stelvio) if there are too many weather concerns. There's also a possibility of doing the stage the other way around with Bernina-Livigno-Eira-Foscagno (max alt 2315m). I guess the main problem with both options are the ventures into Switzerland (Munster or Poschiavo). I don't think a 2012 Mortirolo even with Trivigno would be that great especially as it seems the stage before would then have a similar profile.

HHFJ7Bg.png
While this is a great looking stage, I would imagine the logistics and contracts wouldn't allow for such deviations at the last moment.

Apparently the profile of Madonna di Campiglio got published on today's Gazzetta.
Here it is (from Cicloweb forum)
EHdo98LXkAESCP1

Weirdly, they load the first half a lot, while the second is much softer than I thought. It looks like they want this to be more of a transition stage, as it is squeezed by two other demanding stages. A bit of a shame really, since with Daone instead of Durone this would be an awesome stage.
Great to have Valbona and Bondone, not so great they'll be softpedalled. Would be happy if they finnish in the town.

If anything this adds more damage to the next day rather than creating a super exciting stage on its own.

He was far from dominating, he only finished third and we had bigger (and not by little) gaps in shorter ITTs in the following years. The problem (not for me because i think the bigger TT gaps are the farther climbers are forced to attack, if provided with proper terrain instead of junior mountain stages) was the gap of a single contender that incidentally was the stronger one but lost due to team tactics favouring his weaker team mate because with a team behind him he could have overcome that ITT gap.

Contador was third in the TT due to a wind shift. He dominated everyone who started within an hour of him

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Great to have Valbona and Bondone, not so great they'll be softpedalled. Would be happy if they finnish in the town.

If anything this adds more damage to the next day rather than creating a super exciting stage on its own.
Yes, it looks like a compromise between adding fatigue for the next day and making the final 70km easy enough so that people are still willing to attack on stage 16.

TRENDING THREADS