• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good luck driving the buses and trucks all that way in 15 hours.
Yes I'd like to know how this is going to work. There would have be a convoy of vehicles travelling after stage 2 ? Or the key stock (i.e. bikes for stage) would have to be air freighted down after stage 3? There's just no way buses and trucks are making that drive in 15 hours.
There, probably won't be such a transfer from Hungary to Sicily.
The equipment will be ready and waiting for the riders at the island.
The tt machines and logistics will travel to Veneto, nevertheless.

Yes I'd like to know how this is going to work. There would have be a convoy of vehicles travelling after stage 2 ? Or the key stock (i.e. bikes for stage) would have to be air freighted down after stage 3? There's just no way buses and trucks are making that drive in 15 hours.

Unreal. We're talking about 1900 km. That's a 20+ hour drive even without stopping. I guess all necessary equipment will be air transported or doubled between Hungary and Sicily. However even putting that aside it will be extremely tiring for the riders.

Even leaving after stage 2, I think you'd need two drivers to make the trip in 2 days in a bus or truck complying with the law , otherwise they still wouldn't make the start of stage 4. That makes a rest day pointless from a logistics perspective as well - anything that needs to transfer will be flying.

quite nice route, although 1 or 2 flat stages to many.

Some minor changes would have upgraded the route from a decent 7 to a 8 or 9 in mine opinion:

-maybe strangely enough I would make stage 15 to Piancavollo just a unipuerto stage. Ok, it makes the stage harder, but any GC action before Piancavallo is unlikely anyway. The extra difficulties could be added to
-stage 6 (the last one on Sicily) could have used 1 or 2 climbs to the end of the stage (and there are possibilities there)
-stage 9 to Vieste is really a bit underwhelming. The 2nd Sunday of the race should have been some nice hilly/mid mountain stage. Unlikely to see any GC action there.
-chance Durone for Daone in stage 17 to madonna di campiglio
-add around 5-10 kilometers of extra time trail kilometers in stage 21

Excellent route. I like that final week is though and there are a lot of challenging medium and high mountain stages in first two weeks. Amount of ITT is decent. I also love that ITT of stage 14 is put before a stage with MTF.

I would give 10 to this route. This is perfect example how a GT route should look nowadays.

From the CN article:

"I don’t like that at all," Vegni said of the new UCI rules. "It doesn't help Italian cycling, which has given so much to the sport, because it could force me to leave out one Italian team.

“As they face a tough future, I'll do what I can to help them and so I hope to be able to invite all 3 Italian teams. How? Well, maybe the French team [Total-Direct Energie – ed.] will focus on doing the Tour de France, so I can invite the three Italian teams and so help them survive."

At least that must mean that there will be no EVO/Hungary team on the start line.

Anyone that has info about the last climbs on stage 10? Let's say the last 40 kms.

I found this on the APM forum (https://apmforo.mforos.com/1304540/13119180-giro-de-italia-2020/?pag=41)
Don't know how accurate it is but it seems legit.

g20-10-36%20km_zps5rk5vtim.png~original

Reactions: OlavEH
From the CN article:

"I don’t like that at all," Vegni said of the new UCI rules. "It doesn't help Italian cycling, which has given so much to the sport, because it could force me to leave out one Italian team.

“As they face a tough future, I'll do what I can to help them and so I hope to be able to invite all 3 Italian teams. How? Well, maybe the French team [Total-Direct Energie – ed.] will focus on doing the Tour de France, so I can invite the three Italian teams and so help them survive."

At least that must mean that there will be no EVO/Hungary team on the start line.
But there isn't only the Epowers team (that we didn't even know if will actually be a professional team), Gazprom for example are better than Neri that will be basically an one man team next year considering that all good/decent riders except Visconti are gone, not to mention Bardiani that serve only to terminate early the careers of young italian riders signed by them, the good thing to help italian movement will be letting Bardiani to fold, not trying to keep them alive.

It appears that the Giro organizers have asked Direct Energie to make a decision soon on if they are going to take the invite to the Giro 2020 or not so they know how many invites they have to give to the Italian Pro Conti teams.

Sooo... will they stick to a climbing prologue? This seems like the best bet in Palermo, if so.

Monte_Pellegrino_Palermo_profile.gif
No idea, but that would be pretty good.
According to tuttobiciweb we'll also get an extra stage in the Basilicata region, with a finish in Matera, that pretty much means an uphill sprint in a stunning city. There's also going to be a 2nd stage in the Abruzzo region, that could be interesting.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...uarantena-matera-maurove-vegni-uci-calendari-

One thing that I like about the recent Giro routes are the Granfondo stages, like the Nove Colli stage this year.
That gives me hope that we could see Fauniera + Madonna del Colletto again because it's used in the Granfondo La Fausto Coppi.
Something like that would be awesome durning the final week of the Giro:
granfondo_post-1024x576.jpg

I also still have some hope that Sölden could pay for an Ötztaler Radmarathon stage (a lot more interesting than a Rettenbachferner MTF) durning the coming years. They have invested a lot into cycling tourism for the Summer season durning the last few years, mainly MTB, but also road cycling. A Ötztaler stage would be a proper queenstage for a Giro.

• Love
Reactions: Red Rick
yeah, Campo Imperatore makes sense, considering it will be a Sunday stage.
The new first week should be this:

Palermo ITT
Monreale - Agrigento
Enna - Etna
Catania - Villafranca Tirrena
Mileto - Camigliatello Silano
Castrovillari - Matera
Matera - Brindisi
Giovinazzo - Vieste
San Salvo - Campo Imperatore

After the rest day, they would start somewhere (Pescara maybe) and head to Tortoreto Lido as planned.

TRENDING THREADS