• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 National Championships

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Danish race was actually pretty exiting.

The early break got caught with 50 k to go, and from there to 5 k to go, it was 45 k of non-stop attacks, from all kinds of different riders and groups, each just on the edge of being the decider.

Eventually Asgreen made the deciding move with 5 k to go, and only Kron could follow him.

With 1 k to go, Asgreen made an acceleration and pulled out a 20 meter gap, that he maintained to the line.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thanks. Although Jungels is switching teams for next year, correct? Glad they have a couple. I just wish more teams did National Champions kits like they do.
Irish NT isn't till October so Sam will still be in green and white for le Tour but it would have been nice to see Ala in a NT kit beside him.

You must be pretty sick about Astana winning in Spain and the inevitable Astana butchering of the NT kit that is to come

What was the reason he didn't extend with Alpecin?
Corendon promised him a contract for 2019 but after the end of the XC season they didn't sign it. Toupalik said (if I understand it correctly), that they decided to take riders "bringing money" instead - but I don't know if this is the real reason.

Reactions: Fus087
image0.png

a solid nearly 400w normalized power by MvdP apparently.

Reactions: Sandisfan
By the way is it me or does it seem like France never really has a climbing course for the nats despite having plenty of mountains to go around.

I will never understand this forum's obsession with climbing. Yesterday's race showed that you don't need mountains to have an exciting race.

That being said 2021 French Nats will be held in the foothills of the Vosges so a hillier course can be expected.

I will never understand this forum's obsession with climbing. Yesterday's race showed that you don't need mountains to have an exciting race.

That being said 2021 French Nats will be held in the foothills of the Vosges so a hillier course can be expected.
Nats are very peculiar and I'd want to switch things around so all rider types get a chance at the jersey every now and then, or to give your best riders a shot at winning.

Nats are a little different story than other races, because if there is a flat course and one team has twenty riders present and There’s a very strong rider with only one teammate, that’s a huge disadvantage. At least with a climbing course, an individual rider can have a better chance against a huge team representation, though still up against it if the final group is dominated by a big team.
To even things out it has to be hard enough to be selective. just my opinion, of course.
Personally I think mixing up the type of course from year to year would make sense.

Sven Erik Bystrom (UAE) wins in Norway
It was a very CLOSE win though, 1/1000 of a second. UNO-X even put in a protest.

A person from NCF (the norwegian cycling assosication) said this:
"We are not going to say that it is clear, but it is so clear it can be with the pictures we have. Then Bystrøm is ahead."

Rune Thorkildsen, the person who made the decision that Bystrøm was the Champion, said this in an interview with TV2 who broadcasted the race:
"I understand Hvideberg is disappointed, but I have to judge from what I see, says the judge.

- What do you see?
In the photo from the finish line, I judge Bystrøm first. That is just how it is. It is my experience that says.

- Is it possible to separate them?
It is very close, so there it just has to go on my feeling about it.

- What assessment do you make then?
You see it on the move and how the arc is in relation to the line, simply.

He says that it is not allowed to judge (a shared victory) in Norwegian championships.

-We very rarely (decide it to be a shared victory). You should always have a winner in a bike race he explains."

The paranthesis are my own translation because google translate didn't have any good suggestions.

The video of the finish can be found here: https://www.tv2.no/sport/11601253/

The funny thing is that in the women's elite road race it was just as close, and they even gave the victory to the wrong person first. 9/1000 of a second was the difference between the winner and the runner-up (who was given the victory first). The runner-up is 45 years old btw. You can see the last KMs here: https://www.tv2.no/sport/11600797/

• Wow
Reactions: Wvv and Sandisfan
Irish NT isn't till October so Sam will still be in green and white for le Tour but it would have been nice to see Ala in a NT kit beside him.

You must be pretty sick about Astana winning in Spain and the inevitable Astana butchering of the NT kit that is to come

Yes. I so badly wanted someone anyone from a team that will do a nice kit to win it. But no, we get stuck with the horrible Astana NT kits.

Nats are a little different story than other races, because if there is a flat course and one team has twenty riders present and There’s a very strong rider with only one teammate, that’s a huge disadvantage. At least with a climbing course, an individual rider can have a better chance against a huge team representation, though still up against it if the final group is dominated by a big team.
To even things out it has to be hard enough to be selective. just my opinion, of course.
Personally I think mixing up the type of course from year to year would make sense.

On Sunday in France it was almost a 1 on 1 battle in the end despite the team disadvantage.

Alaphilippe lost not because of a weaker team, but because he could not hold a gap to a pair of sprinters for 4km

On Sunday in France it was almost a 1 on 1 battle in the end despite the team disadvantage.

Alaphilippe lost not because of a weaker team, but because he could not hold a gap to a pair of sprinters for 4km
Well, yes and no. It's true that he couldn't hold the gap. However if FDJ didn't have so much riders, they wouldn't have been able to control the race this much which made the final shorter. If DQT had more riders, they could have made the race much harder, which typically should have favoured the strong classic type riders DQT has.