• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 National Championships

It has been almost three months since Quintana schooled his rivals while Schachmann hung on for the overall win on the Valdeblore La Colmiane in the race that refused to die while the rest of Europe was packing down quickly.

But in 13 days, there will be another bike race, and no phoney virtual approximation or secret Norwegian mountain TT, but an ACTUAL real race because the Slovenian national road race has not been postponed and will be run on Sunday, June 21st, featuring Primoz Roglic, Tadej Pogacar and I assume all other decent Slovenian bike riders.

I don't know if it will be televised but probably; that would be a wasted opportunity if there ever was one.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
It has been almost three months since Quintana schooled his rivals while Schachmann hung on for the overall win on the Valdeblore La Colmiane in the race that refused to die while the rest of Europe was packing down quickly.

But in 13 days, there will be another bike race, and no phoney virtual approximation or secret Norwegian mountain TT, but an ACTUAL real race because the Slovenian national road race has not been postponed and will be run on Sunday, June 21st, featuring Primoz Roglic, Tadej Pogacar and I assume all other decent Slovenian bike riders.

I don't know if it will be televised but probably; that would be a wasted opportunity if there ever was one.
It's less than 160km long, wonder how selective the laps are.

It's less than 160km long, wonder how selective the laps are.
This can be found on the site of the Slovenian cycling federation (google translate):
"The route (men Elite and U-23 will cover 146 km, women Elite and U-23 68 km) will be demanding. The start will be in Cerklje na Gorenjskem, and the finish will be in Ambrož pod Krvavec (1079 meters above sea level). Before embarking on the final climb, the men will ride seven laps and the girls three laps. "

Some more information about the course can be found here:
http://kolesarska-zveza.si/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/DP_2020_tehnicna_navodila.pdf

Seems like a pretty hard course. Roglic and Pogacar should be the overwhelming favourites, I suppose.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That we guessed well?

Meh.

This can be found on the site of the Slovenian cycling federation (google translate):
"The route (men Elite and U-23 will cover 146 km, women Elite and U-23 68 km) will be demanding. The start will be in Cerklje na Gorenjskem, and the finish will be in Ambrož pod Krvavec (1079 meters above sea level). Before embarking on the final climb, the men will ride seven laps and the girls three laps. "

Some more information about the course can be found here:
http://kolesarska-zveza.si/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/DP_2020_tehnicna_navodila.pdf

Seems like a pretty hard course. Roglic and Pogacar should be the overwhelming favourites, I suppose.
Yeah, Pogacar has a mountain domestique in Polanc, Roglic doesn't. Should be interesting.

Profile:

65679276.jpg

Final climb (till 8km mark):

65025681_profil_krvavec.png

Don't be fooled by the short distance. Slovenian championships are demanding everytime because there are so few cyclist in the Elite category (around 50) and even there are big differences in quality between the riders. So the stronger riders, the favourites have to work very early in the race. The gaps are usually big even in the top10.

Some people who know the roads say that the laps are harder than it looks on paper. Roads are narrow, twisty and in bad condition, so I heard. If it rains, it will be even more difficult.

Sadly I don't have high hopes for a decent stream to be found. I hope I'm wrong though.

Don't be fooled by the short distance. Slovenian championships are demanding everytime because there are so few cyclist in the Elite category (around 50) and even there are big differences in quality between the riders. So the stronger riders, the favourites have to work very early in the race.
I'd been thinking about that. Small peloton, few big riders from the same teams. Makes sense.

The timing of this seems quite fortuitous. For what is de facto the start, or at least re-start, of the actual season, you don't want a really high profile race with a lot of elites. You want to build up to that, but neither do you want a rather meaningless race with no one of great interest. Roglic and Pogacar fill this bill perfectly. Two really good riders who could make a lot of noise at the bigger races later on, but not enough by themselves to tell us much about how those bigger races will go. A great appetizer.

The guys who will battle it out (most likely):
Primoz Roglic (Jumbo Visma)
Tadej Pogacar and Jan Polanc (UAE)
Luka Mezgec (Michelton Scott)
Matej Mohoric, Jan Tratnik, Domen Novak and Luka Pibernik (all Bahrain Merida).

They are currently in Slovenia doing some training together.

101658728_2934363130015484_6607709109317795840_n.jpg

EZmSo4RWoAACNWJ

Last edited:
Hard to imagine that there won't be a stream of it. I don't know how it is in Slovenia, but I can only imagine that cycling is gaining in popularity rapidly. They probably don't want an overflow of supporters next to road on the final climb. Best way to avoid that seems a broadcast.

TRENDING THREADS