• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Vuelta rumors

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Carapaz can win the Vuelta .He was flying at the very end of the Tour so he will hit those early climbs hard .But will he be allowed ? or will he have to ride for Froome ?

My prediction: Froome won't do anything, Carapaz will be Ineos leader & no, he won't win the Vuelta because even though he was "flying" at the end of the Tour (it's all relative), Roglic was still way better than him on the climbs & time trial.

My prediction: Froome won't do anything, Carapaz will be Ineos leader & no, he won't win the Vuelta because even though he was "flying" at the end of the Tour (it's all relative), Roglic was still way better than him on the climbs & time trial.

I agree, the PDBF split for Carapaz being so far below the GC guys despite soft-pedalling the rest of the TT to target the mountain points suggests that his breakaway rides were not a reflection that he could have ridden with the top 5 in the last week.

Interesting comment from Rod Ellingworth about calling it as not a full Grand Tour.

Reactions: Luthor
I agree, the PDBF split for Carapaz being so far below the GC guys despite soft-pedalling the rest of the TT to target the mountain points suggests that his breakaway rides were not a reflection that he could have ridden with the top 5 in the last week.

Interesting comment from Rod Ellingworth about calling it as not a full Grand Tour.
Any interesting cycling we get happening in 2020 is “Grand” as far as I’m concerned ;)

Interesting line-up by DQS geared towards sprint support as expected and I wouldn't be surprised if the young riders Garrison and Bagioli could surprise us positively in some way.

A similar focus on flat stages is to be expected from Bora. Then there might be Großschartner and hopefully Buchmann as well. There were rumors about his participation when the top positions on the tour moved into the far distance: "I have already noted the Vuelta in my calendar", he said once.

Is anything specific known about the participation of Pinault and Gaudu at this point in time?

Reactions: Sandisfan
You do know the race is now starting in the Basque country, right?
Yes, and I love it! And the Stage 1 statement is risky...rain is a definite possibility. Even though my dream climbs are not on the menu, I will watch and hope that I get a winning lotto ticket. The Pays Basque is one of, if not the best place on planet Earth.

No official start list from GFdJ, but I expect both Pinot and Gaudu to be present. 25 years after Jalabert, ending the drought, hot pepper Jalapinot ftw. And add Angliru to the AdH, Lagos, Tourmalet list...and maybe Tourmalet 2.0 too!

Yes, and I love it! And the Stage 1 statement is risky...rain is a definite possibility. Even though my dream climbs are not on the menu, I will watch and hope that I get a winning lotto ticket. The Pays Basque is one of, if not the best place on planet Earth.

No official start list from GFdJ, but I expect both Pinot and Gaudu to be present. 25 years after Jalabert, ending the drought, hot pepper Jalapinot ftw. And add Angliru to the AdH, Lagos, Tourmalet list...and maybe Tourmalet 2.0 too!

That's if they can race some of those mountains due to snow.

Is anything specific known about the participation of Pinault and Gaudu at this point in time?

No Pinault, considering that one of them is dead, and the other hasn't been active since 2000. Pinot, otoh. :p
I think it was decided a while back that they would ride - as in, before the Tour - so I guess the only thing really stopping them would be if their respective injuries are still acting up.

And add Angliru to the AdH, Lagos, Tourmalet list...and maybe Tourmalet 2.0 too!

Would that be a first? Winning on the same MTF in two different GTs.

Reactions: Tonton
No Pinault, considering that one of them is dead, and the other hasn't been active since 2000. Pinot, otoh. :p
I think it was decided a while back that they would ride - as in, before the Tour - so I guess the only thing really stopping them would be if their respective injuries are still acting up.

Would that be a first? Winning on the same MTF in two different GTs.
Nope. Lale Cubino won Luz Ardiden in the '88 Tour and the '92 Vuelta.

Interesting line-up by DQS geared towards sprint support as expected and I wouldn't be surprised if the young riders Garrison and Bagioli could surprise us positively in some way.

A similar focus on flat stages is to be expected from Bora. Then there might be Großschartner and hopefully Buchmann as well. There were rumors about his participation when the top positions on the tour moved into the far distance: "I have already noted the Vuelta in my calendar", he said once.

Bora will bring Buchmann, Großschartner and Mühlberger.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS