• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Vuelta rumors

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jumbo going in with:

Roglič
Dumoulin
Kuss
Bennet
Gesink
Vingegaard
Hofstede
Martens

The core is the same as in the Tour - weaker helpers for the flat (you cannot beat Wout and Tony in this regard), but the mountain train looks as strong as ever on paper. The main question is the form. Only Kuss and Gesink have been training on altitude. Though the closeness of the Tour might actually be a bonus this time since the race will be pretty much decided in week 1 (and stage or two at the end of week 2). After stage 13 (ITT) the race will prety much be done.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes, and I love it! And the Stage 1 statement is risky...rain is a definite possibility. Even though my dream climbs are not on the menu, I will watch and hope that I get a winning lotto ticket. The Pays Basque is one of, if not the best place on planet Earth.

No official start list from GFdJ, but I expect both Pinot and Gaudu to be present. 25 years after Jalabert, ending the drought, hot pepper Jalapinot ftw. And add Angliru to the AdH, Lagos, Tourmalet list...and maybe Tourmalet 2.0 too!

I know this will hurt your heart so sorry about that but I think Gaudu has had to sacrifice riding for own chances so many times already with little ultimate team reward that if he is fit enough after the back issues I would like to see him be the team leader with Pinot in a free role.

Jumbo going in with:

Roglič
Dumoulin
Kuss
Bennet
Gesink
Vingegaard
Hofstede
Martens

The core is the same as in the Tour - weaker helpers for the flat (you cannot beat Wout and Tony in this regard), but the mountain train looks as strong as ever on paper. The main question is the form. Only Kuss and Gesink have been training on altitude. Though the closeness of the Tour might actually be a bonus this time since the race will be pretty much decided in week 1 (and stage or two at the end of week 2). After stage 13 (ITT) the race will prety much be done.
No Wout instantly makes the team significantly weaker but they wont miss Tony Martin anywhere near as much given its La Vuelta thus usually ridden slower and with a lot less flatlands to control with diesel engine power.

Jumbo going in with:

Roglič
Dumoulin
Kuss
Bennet
Gesink
Vingegaard
Hofstede
Martens

Form is the question, aside from that the field looks like easy pickings for this team tbh. Especially with there still being an ITT for Dumo/Roglic to get a minute+ on everyone else. If Roglic is even at 90% he wins this eyes closed.

Meanwhile. FORMIGAL HYPE

I think Buchmann and Pinot are riding? Which startlist are you referring to?

Bennett is not in good health, yet?

Pinot is definitely in.

He won on the Tourmalet two years ago in the Tour but tbh I reckon this one is going to be a repeat of this year's Tour in week one, but with a more aggressive Roglic to get the job done early. That's my prediction in any case. Some other GC contenders will hang on for as long as they can.

I think Buchmann and Pinot are riding? Which startlist are you referring to?

Bennett is not in good health, yet?

Buchmann will not ride!

Pinot is definitely in.

He won on the Tourmalet two years ago in the Tour but tbh I reckon this one is going to be a repeat of this year's Tour in week one, but with a more aggressive Roglic to get the job done early. That's my prediction in any case. Some other GC contenders will hang on for as long as they can.
Pinot is in yes. Missed him because he is not listed as the number one of his team..

Startlist looks a lot weaker then expected:

Roglic, Dumoulin, Carapaz and perhaps Mas as top GC contenders. Ok for Jumbo Kuss and Bennett also have the potential.

Miss guys like Buchmann and Pinot here..
Startlist looks a lot weaker then expected:

Roglic, Dumoulin, Carapaz and perhaps Mas as top GC contenders. Ok for Jumbo Kuss and Bennett also have the potential.

Miss guys like Buchmann and Pinot here..
Perhaps? Mas has more GT Top 5s than Buchmann and is 2-3 years younger.

Froome,Carapa,Sosa Rivera, Wulf ,Amador ,Golas, Van Baarle

This is a very good team imo

I think Carapaz and Sosa will top 10 in this. Carapaz form is a little overrated(in the sense that some expect him to challenge Roglic. I don't quite see it) but given that the Vuelta starts with some really hard stages I see Sosa quite high in the GC at the begging.

About Froome, even if he's in form he's usually quite a late starter in a GT so probably he will lose a lot of time in the first stages. Still, I hope he shows something later in the race.

Roglic is being overrated. Normally he's toast at the Vuelta. He's hit top shape already in July winning Tour L'Ain. There's no way he still got it now. He's raced the Tour de France and the Ardennes classics.

Dumoulin might be slightly overraced as well by now. Jumbo better should've saved him a bit after the Tour de France. Now he had a light program ahead of the grand boucle, but a quite heavy schedule afterwards.

Carapaz normally should be in peak shape. He was on track to be ready for the Giro d'Italia as his last week in France suggested. Especially the performance on Col de la Loze where he withstood the favorites group for quite some time. He's had enough time to rest and train since and should arrive in Spain with ideal shape. With the Angliru being on the program the Ecuadorian should be no.1 favorite!

Buchmann will not ride!

Thanks for the info. I am happy that Pinot and Gaudu will take part, but I was still hoping for Buchmann, although the Bora team for the vuelta can't give the impression that it could support him on mountains. ;)

“The regeneration after the Tour de France took significantly longer than expected. Even if the decision was not an easy one, the medical team and the sporting management have decided to end Emanuel's season early in order to concentrate completely on regeneration and thus not risk any complications in preparation for 2021."

Roglic is being overrated. Normally he's toast at the Vuelta. He's hit top shape already in July winning Tour L'Ain. There's no way he still got it now. He's raced the Tour de France and the Ardennes classics.

Dumoulin might be slightly overraced as well by now. Jumbo better should've saved him a bit after the Tour de France. Now he had a light program ahead of the grand boucle, but a quite heavy schedule afterwards.

Carapaz normally should be in peak shape. He was on track to be ready for the Giro d'Italia as his last week in France suggested. Especially the performance on Col de la Loze where he withstood the favorites group for quite some time. He's had enough time to rest and train since and should arrive in Spain with ideal shape. With the Angliru being on the program the Ecuadorian should be no.1 favorite!

I agree with this. Roglic was the "guaranteed" winner for 3 GTs and only won one. Dumoulin is always overrated here. I also expect Carapaz to be good.
Movistar can also win this race. I expect both Mas and Valverde to place high in GC, maybe Soler, too.
The GC field is weak and the GC top 10 has to be filled out somehow so there will some one-off random riders in there.

TRENDING THREADS