• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Do you think it was because he couldn't do better or because he did not care enough in the end and is preparing for worlds?

I think it's a combination of things. He hasn't been happy with his form at all this year. He did a worse TT than Lopez that if he even half tried wouldn't have been possible. My opinion is he didn't care enough to try, which makes the rest of the race even more puzzling as he could have instead lost a bunch of time and gone stage hunting because finishing 12th is worthless and stage hunting would have been a much better option. As this was very likely his last Tour he won't come back to go stage hunting again. His not caring enough about this TT was not and has nothing to do with preparing for the worlds. He doesn't have the form.

Reactions: BlueRoads
You might be right.

Though a lot depends on how guys like Fuglsang, Nibali, Thomas, etc. have timed their shape.

Have they prioritized being good at Worlds or good week 3 in the Giro?

I agree that some will depend on the guys getting ready for the Giro. Also wouldn't discount Carapaz and Soler who weren't supposed to be racing the Tour and were supposed to be getting ready for the Giro. The only GC contender for the Tour, who finished well and wasn't at his best to start with is Mas so he may do well and seems to be an ok one day racer, but I wouldn't have him as a favorite for the podium, but a possible top 10.

Reactions: Broccolidwarf
I agree that some will depend on the guys getting ready for the Giro. Also wouldn't discount Carapaz and Soler who weren't supposed to be racing the Tour and were supposed to be getting ready for the Giro. The only GC contender for the Tour, who finished well and wasn't at his best to start with is Mas so he may do well and seems to be an ok one day racer, but I wouldn't have him as a favorite for the podium, but a possible top 10.
carapaz is not competing, ecuador is not sending a team.

According to La Gazzetta following riders are confirmed for Italy:
Nibali
Caruso
Masnada
Brambilla
Ulissi
Bagiol

The last 2 spots should go to Bettiol and Visconti over Fabbro and Conci.
I wouldn't mind bringing Fabbro, but I can see why Cassani would prefer the experience of Visconti and a great classics rider like Bettiol.

TRENDING THREADS