• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Race was OK, as Yaco said though, would have been way better with trade teams, as van Vleuten would have gone after van der Breggen and then they would not have collaborated potentially allowing ELB/Lizzie/Cille back, and then ELB/Lizzie being teammates would have introduced a new dynamic.

Decent phase in the middle, but once Anna was gone she was gone and the race for gold was over. The nature of the course meant that nobody believed in attacking for silver on the penultimate climb, and the latter one was way too late to stand any chances of catching Anna. Once Cille and Lizzie were dropped I think it set the race, because you had two riders in medal position, and then in the group behind only 2 of the 5 could reasonably be expected to work; it was then a 2-on-1 time trial but with ELB being a far better time triallist than either Deignan or Lippert, and Deignan was the only one who really had any justification for working hard in that group, which she dutifully did in fairness, costing her in the sprint where Vos (as predicted) and Lippert (as was an outside chance) then rode away from her in the sprint.

Van der Breggen did an amazing race, dream season for her.
Great to see Van Vleuten still getting the silver with her broken wrist.
Longo Borghini could have been disqualified after that sprint.
Beautiful circuit and quite hard as well, I quite climbers with a big engine will have an advantage.

Van der Breggen did an amazing race, dream season for her.
Great to see Van Vleuten still getting the silver with her broken wrist.
Longo Borghini could have been disqualified after that sprint.
Beautiful circuit and quite hard as well, I quite climbers with a big engine will have an advantage.
In some ways I wish the two climbs were in the opposite order. That could have made the battle for silver much more interesting as there would have been the second climb for Kasia or Cille to make their moves so more incentive for them to collaborate with Lizzie in group 3 (plus the climb was in Liane's range too, she was struggliing a bit near the top of the steeper one). However, the flip side of that would be that it would have meant van der Breggen's move came earlier and killed suspense for the gold sooner.

Now you can see why ELB always sacrifices herself to the attacks to set up Lizzie or tries to win solo. It makes her a very fun rider to follow because she can pretty much never follow wheels to success, but it also means she has far fewer wins than her undoubted talent would suggest she merits.

Rog and Pog

Ei2lFgvWoAMgADe

Schachmann before the WC:
"It is what it is. The racing calendar has become very tight. It is a kind of experiment to have to perform a week after such a tour. I have already trained on the track and will see how it goes over the weekend. The route suits me. I'm the man for the finals (probably related to his team role). My goal is gold."

He's certainly an outsider with a below average team to support him on this profile, but I appreciate his confidence. :kissingheart:

Congrats to Van Der Breggen.
Impressive ride for AvV with the broken wrist.
ELB's sprint was bad. Sprinting 101, stay next to the barrier and make the person behind you come around you. I won't totally fault her for sprinting early, sometimes even the best sprinters manage that one.

So, Theo Bos thinks there should have been a DQ. I can't fathom why he of all people would go into such a discussion.
Agree that coming from the Big Bos Man, it's a bit of a crazy discussion to set up given his history... and I mean, Elisa lost the sprint anyway and relegation would mean nothing since she was at the back of her group. It's a bit inelegant for sure, and of course it's Annemiek's injured arm that she's catching which increases the discontent about it, although that shouldn't factor into things because Annemiek put herself in that position, it would be the classic judging the outcome not the offence which was so heavily debated a few weeks ago.

But, of course, if she was DQed, the bronze medal would go to the 4th place finisher giving the Dutch a clean sweep of the podium, now would that have factored into your opinions at all, Theo?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
So, Theo Bos thinks there should have been a DQ. I can't fathom why he of all people would go into such a discussion.

View: https://twitter.com/theo_bos/status/1309873112847179777
I see this argued a lot on social media and forums mostly by Dutch people. I don't think the rules actually allow for a DSQ in such a situation, only a relegation to last place in the group, and of course that wouldn't have mattered. I don't understand why no one seems to realize this? Even when BouBou used to put people into the barriers regularly he was only ever relegated.

Reactions: F_Cance and Arked

TRENDING THREADS