• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Youth CQ Ranking Game

Youth CQ Ranking Game 2020

Ciao fellow CN Forumites, welcome to the eighth annual Youth CQ Ranking Manager Game. This game allows you to showcase your knowledge of upcoming youngsters, and hopefully take a gamble on a couple of really young riders.
Originally this game was invented by mc_mountain, based on Hugo Koblet's CQ Ranking Manager Game.

Your task is to create a team with 12-15 riders at 1000 CQ points to get the best possible return.

1. How the game works

1.1. Duration

The season starts when the first race is held (Australian Road Cycling Championships 8 January 2020) and ends when the last major race (.1 or higher) is held. The winner will be crowned when the next update after the last major race (x.1) is out - submissions can be made to extend the season to include late season smaller races, should there be potential for them to affect the top placings. A victor can be declared earlier if there is no prospect of the leader being overhauled.

1.2. Updates
My aim is to have an update every 2 weeks. I would greatly appreciate some help from other participants. If you are interested in doing an update every now and then, let me know via PM!

2. On doping
Hopefully doping will have much less of an impact on this game, but the Main game rules will apply.

3.Submitting your team

3.1. How do I?

You pick between 12 and 15 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 1000 points and submit your team to me via PM (either on CN forum or on Velorooms forum). Please be sure to use the naming format as found on cqranking.com and only send me your riders' names, not their scores etc. Please also be wary of any spaces or other characters after your riders’ names. I will try to correct all mistakes but some could slip through.

Example of how to send in your team:
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
DE PLUS Laurens
MAMYKIN Matvey
etc...

3.2. Eligibility
Riders need to fit one of the following two main criteria
i) be a first year professional rider (of any age), be it at World Tour or Professional Continental team.
ii) be riding at Continental level or lower, born in 1995 or younger, without having previously ridden as a professional.

Important new rule:
In the past there was some discussion about the definition of a first year professional rider, especially due to the distinction between stagiaires and 'officially signed' riders. Formerly the rule was that traineeship/riding as a stagiaire didn't qualify as professional experience, no matter how many times a rider was a stagiaire. For contracts signed halfway through the season the rule was that any contract signed August or later wasn't considered professional experience. It was brought to my attention by Armchair Cyclist last year that perhaps it is a bit arbitrary to allow stagiaires that joined late July, but not allow riders that signed an official contract late July. On top of that, search unearthed information that states contracts signed after 1st of July are different from contracts signed before July.

For that reason, the new rule regarding criterion i) be a first year professional rider, is:
* Riders who have only raced at Pro level as trainees/stagiaires or signed their first Pro contract after July 1st of the previous year can be considered first -year professionals

If you are unsure about the eligibility of a rider, feel free to PM me.

In previous years, the rules included an “encouragement” to include riders from several age categories, this encouragement has been scrapped to avoid any confusion.

Deadline
You can submit your team as of right now. The deadline for submission is January 7th, at noon i.e. 12:00 CET(http://www.timebie.com/timelocal/centraleuropean.php) which means you'll still have some time after the main game submission deadline to get your team together for this game.
After this deadline, team submissions will no longer be accepted. I will then process all teams, which includes checking eligibility. If I encounter an issue with your team, e.g. you've included the same rider twice, you are over budget or a rider you selected is not eligible, I will contact you via PM and give you the opportunity to correct the mistake before January 8th 20:00 CET. If after this deadline, you haven't yet gotten back to me, or there is still an issue with your team, I will:
i) in case you are over the budget, remove a rider to bring you under the budget. This will be the cheapest available rider on your team whose removal will bring you to or under the budget;
ii) in case you selected too many riders, remove the cheapest available rider from your team;
iii) in case of ineligibility, remove the ineligible rider.

I would like to ask the participants to delay the big reveal of their teams until after the January 8th deadline.

Best of luck to all! :)

Important: please read paragraph 3.2 regarding eligibility to find information about a rule change.

Also important, but not important enough to warrant a larger font: as I wrote in the 2019 thread, I probably will be out of the country in the second half of 2020 and unable to do any updates. So I will collect all entries and do the updates for the first half of the year, but after that we'll have to figure something out.

Last edited:
My team is ready and will be sent to the first entrant!

Confirmed teams so far

Florecita
Leadbelly
Squire
Cordi
search
Jon Ezeitza
Koronin
comodoro
Salvarani
Murrjt
hfgon1
laarsland
Wallenquist
Jpettersen
fauniera
Muddy_Waters
Archieboy
scrooll07
Joelsim
danielo
LosBrolin
Kazistuta
otoxiep87
TheArt
Ruvu75
theasian
rote_lanterne
18-Valve
AlyKaptan
Ludwigzgz
Fivezzz
manafana
Kryvo
DJ Sprtsch
allobroges
Karaev1
del1962
shawnm4747
LukasCPH
Scandi
Josedin
ray10
Zuoka
MADRAZO *
Northerner
skidmark *
Nicosix *

* waiting for revised team

Last edited:
Whew, I should be all caught up now. I got so many messages over the last 24 hours! There are 38 of us now, which is actually exactly the same as last year. Still a little over 12 hours to go till the submission deadline, so let's go one better at least ;)

Important: if you submitted a team but do not see your name in the 2nd post of this thread, please contact me

Only 25 minutes until the submission deadline. Please delay the reveal of your team until the revision deadline, tomorrow at 20:00 CET as I'm still waiting for some revisions. Up to that deadline I will also accept new entries at my discretion.

We have 47 players now, with 21 entered in the last 30 hours or so :p

Please check the 2nd post in this thread to see if your name is on the list.

Reactions: Joelsim
Popularity:
SIMMONS Quinn
41​
ARDILA ORDOÑEZ Andres Camilo
35​
DAINESE Alberto
30​
RUBIO REYES Einer Augusto
29​
BAGIOLI Andrea
27​
EEKHOFF Nils
22​
CEPEDA ORTIZ Jefferson Alexander
22​
FOSS Tobias Svendsen
19​
VAN WILDER Ilan
19​
LEKNESSUND Andreas
17​
ARENSMAN Thymen
17​
GROVES Kaden
16​
CHAMPOUSSIN Clément
15​
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
15​
DONOVAN Mark
14​
TIBERI Antonio
11​
HÄNNINEN Jaakko
10​
JORGENSON Matteo
10​
COVI Alessandro
9​
STEIMLE Jannik
9​
PEAK Barnabas
8​
ELOSEGUI MOMEÑE Iñigo
8​
EVANS Alexander
7​
HAILU Biniam Girmay
7​
HAYTER Ethan
7​
KONYCHEV Alexander
7​
VERMEERSCH Florian
6​
INKELAAR Kevin
6​
HERMANS Quinten
6​
PIDCOCK Thomas
6​
PICCOLO Andrea
6​
BUITRAGO SANCHEZ Santiago
6​
ALBA BOLIVAR Juan Diego
6​
KRIEGER Alexander
5​
LOPEZ PEREZ Juan Pedro
5​
CULLAIGH Gabriel
5​
QUARTERMAN Charlie
5​
JACOBS Johan
5​
BISSEGGER Stefan
5​
BATTISTELLA Samuele
5​
VANSEVENANT Mauri
5​
TEJADA CANACUE Harold Alfonso
5​
WRIGHT Fred
5​
DE PLUS Jasper
5​
SCHELLING Ide
4​
VIVIANI Attilio
4​
RIVERA VARGAS Brandon Smith
4​
VILLALOBOS HERNANDEZ Luis Ricardo
4​
RUTSCH Jonas
4​
GARRISON Michael
4​
JOHANSEN Julius
4​
GOOSSENS Kobe
4​
NONNEZ Théo
3​
RENARD Alexis
3​
OLDANI Stefano
3​
TOUPALIK Adam
3​
HAILEMICHAEL Mulu Kinfe
3​
RAVANELLI Simone
3​
RAJOVIC Dusan
3​
MACIEJUK Filip
3​
HINDSGAUL MADSEN Jacob
3​
MOZZATO Luca
3​
GALL Felix
3​
TORRES BARCELO Albert
2​
RIES Michel
2​
CEPEDA HERNANDEZ Jefferson Alveiro
2​
ZIMMERMANN Georg
2​
GUGLIELMI Simon
2​
HOLLMANN Juri
2​
BRUNEL Alexys
2​
ALEOTTI Giovanni
2​
LEIJNSE Enzo
2​
HULGAARD Morten
2​
WAERENSKJOLD Søren
2​
MAZZUCCO Fabio
2​
THIJSSEN Gerben
2​
MEEUS Jordi
2​
VALTER Attila
2​
CABOT Jérémy
2​
VAN TRICHT Stan
2​
BAIS Mattia
2​
MARTINELLI Alessio
2​
WAERSTED Syver Westgaard
2​
SLEEN Torjus
2​
RODENBERG MADSEN Frederik
2​
MAYRHOFER Marius
2​
VAHTRA Norman
1​
DINA Marton
1​
FIORELLI Filippo
1​
BAIS Davide
1​
ZANA Filippo
1​
GAZZOLI Michele
1​
VAN DER KOOIJ Bas
1​
CHARMIG Anthon
1​
BASSETT Stephen
1​
PLOWRIGHT Jensen
1​
VAN VEENENDAAL Hidde
1​
LOPEZ FUENTES Diego
1​
BALLESTEROS CANOVAS Miguel Angel
1​
CORTJENS Ryan
1​
WALLS Matthew
1​
COLLEONI Kevin
1​
ZUKOWSKY Nickolas
1​
HOLMES Matthew
1​
BALLERSTEDT Maurice
1​
PETRUCCI Mattia
1​
DEBEAUMARCHE Nicolas
1​
WILKSCH Hannes
1​
DE WILDE Gilles
1​
VERSCHAEVE Viktor
1​
WIRTGEN Luc
1​
ANDRADE Pedro Joaquim Silva
1​
MURIAS Jakub
1​
REYNDERS Jens
1​
MERTENS Julian
1​
DALLA VALLE Nicholas
1​
MOLENAAR Alex
1​
FRIGO Marco
1​
BALMER Alexandre
1​
JUARISTI ARRIETA Txomin
1​
MONACO Alessandro
1​
RASTELLI Luca
1​
MUNYANEZA Didier
1​
MULUBRHAN Henok
1​
VENCHIARUTTI Nicola
1​
GROSPE Ismael Jr.
1​
BEVILACQUA Mattia
1​
MA Guangtong
1​
LARSEN Niklas
1​
JERMAN Ziga
1​
VAN DEN BERG Lars
1​
HARTLEY Adam
1​
MONIQUET Sylvain
1​
PUPPIO Antonio
1​
AZURMENDI SAGASTIBELTZA Ibai
1​
DI RENZO Andrea
1​
HOELGAARD Markus
1​
LISSON Christoffer
1​
SKAARSETH Anders
1​
LINDGREN Emil
1​
AASVOLD Kristian
1​
SCHULTZ Jesper
1​
RESELL Erik Nordsaeter
1​
KRISTENSEN Mads Østergaard
1​
GAMPER Patrick
1​
LOUVEL Matis
1​
BARTOLOZZI Andrea
1​
VAN DEN BOSSCHE Fabio
1​
SUNDERLAND Dylan
1​
MÄRKL Niklas
1​
BLIKRA Erlend Jordbrekk
1​
VAN KESSEL Corné
1​

Last edited:
Reactions: Squire
My team!

DAINESE Alberto
LOPEZ PEREZ Juan Pedro
OLDANI Stefano
VIVIANI Attilio
BAGIOLI Andrea
EEKHOFF Nils
ZANA Filippo
RIES Michel
RUBIO REYES Einer Augusto
ARDILA ORDOÑEZ Andres Camilo
CEPEDA ORTIZ Jefferson Alexander
INKELAAR Kevin
COVI Alessandro
GAZZOLI Michele
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos

I have two unique picks: Zana and Gazzoli. Fingers crossed for them!

TRENDING THREADS