• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Donostiako Klasikoa - Clásica San Sebastián, Saturday 31st July (223.5 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wouldn't he always be eligible, because he has spent time on a Basque development team?

As I understand it that was a requirement for a non-Basque rider to be signed by the old Euskaltel team with Samu obviously being the prime example.
Depends on their viewpoint on Lizarte, who are based in Pamplona and are Movistar's feeder, and whether him coming over to join them at 19 is sufficient time to be 'formed' in the Basque development teams as before then, he was racing in Belarus. I think he would still be a contentious one (he wouldn't pass the Athletic Bilbao test because of his age when he came over, but cyclists tend to develop later than footballers through this kind of program).

Depends on their viewpoint on Lizarte, who are based in Pamplona and are Movistar's feeder, and whether him coming over to join them at 19 is sufficient time to be 'formed' in the Basque development teams as before then, he was racing in Belarus. I think he would still be a contentious one (he wouldn't pass the Athletic Bilbao test because of his age when he came over, but cyclists tend to develop later than footballers through this kind of program).

I don't really know how strict the philospy of the current Euskaltel team is either. They did sign Sergio Higuita for instance, though they also skipped him off again quite quickly.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Or maybe they are simply hiring riders who they think can benefit their team, within their budget, without national discrimination.

PXkQK3p.png

break:

• James Knox (Deceuninck-Quick Step)
  • Mikaël Chérel (AG2R-Citroën)
  • Valerio Conti (UAE)
  • Aleksandr Riabusjenko (UAE)
  • Johan Jacobs (Movistar)
  • José Rojas (Movistar)
  • Jérémy Cabot (Team Total Energies)
  • Stephen Williams (Bahrain-Victorious)
  • Jon Barrenetxea (Caja Rural)
  • Mikel Bizkarra (Euskaltel-Euskadi)
  • Romain Hardy (Arkéa-Samsic)
  • Lilian Calmejane (AG2R-Citroën)
  • Oscar Cabedo (Burgos-BH)
  • Xandres Vervloesem (Lotto Soudal)

Last edited:
If Pauliena Rooijakkers was happier riding in pélotons she'd have a really good palmarès. She's a great climber but she often loses a lot of unnecessary time or has to pick her way through stragglers continually because she is a bit of a Moncoutié, always last place in the bunch.

Today she was in a break today with Muzic and Santesteban for a some time, so she was definitely not caught out in a bad position in the final.

Van Vleuten came very close to throwing away the win on the wet descent, but at least she managed to stay on the bike this time around.

Who's that commentating on the Eurosport Player? Sounds a lot like Matt Rendell but he's an ITV man?

I thought that too. I've heard people taking about paint drying in a more enthusiastic way but to be fair he doesn't seem to have a co-commentator. Maybe Adam Blythe will be along soon now that l'Ain is over.

ETA he seems quite knowledgeable but I could do with a bit of Kirbyness right now

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS