• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 10: L’Aquila – Foligno 139 km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Sprint or breakaway?

• Sprint

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • Breakaway

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What happened with Gaviria man? He was such a big talent but it feels like he hasn't done much in the last couple of seasons.
My opinion, is he is just starting to get in shape. I don't buy all that BS from his coach. He had crashes and 2 times Covid in the last 2 years. He barely rode last year and we expect him to be top sprinter now? that is impossible.

Some people think that he is a Sagan type of rider now. Maybe that is true, but he still had a lot of time without racing at the WT level.

Anyway, I think he is on the way out of UAE. LeFevre is going to get a good deal with him IMHO. Because he can still win.

Yes, 3vs1 or 2vs0 would still be the same between Evenepoel and Bernal. But i'm sure they'd rather not take any chances, dropping off and seeing Bernal can't follow and suddenly Evenepoel takes 3 seconds and Bernal 0. By taking away the 3 seconds, he diminishes the chances of greater timeloss.

Oh, come on, you just always have another argument, don't you? He was riding behind Bernal, there was no reason to pass him...

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
My opinion, is he is just starting to get in shape. I don't buy all that BS from his coach. He had crashes and 2 times Covid in the last 2 years. He barely rode last year and we expect him to be top sprinter now? that is impossible.

Some people think that he is a Sagan type of rider now. Maybe that is true, but he still had a lot of time without racing at the WT level.

Anyway, I think he is on the way out of UAE. LeFevre is going to get a good deal with him IMHO. Because he can still win.

Yeah, I think Gaviria’s slide is quite easily explained by a number of injuries and illnesses. It’s not as if he’s old.

A Quickstep return would be great for him, and would also be a very Lefevere signing - proven talent available very cheap. But all rumours about him that I’ve seen so far suggest Arkea instead... which would be less ideal.

It was more of a reflex, than it was a mathematical decision by Narvaez. I don't think it's that strange from his perspective, but i already agreed with what you said.

Yeah, I agree it's a reflex, you have to be quite smart to think all those scenarios through in the heat of the moment and how the distributions of seconds will be.

But I think that is what coaches are for. Tell the riders that if your GC guy is in a boni sprint with a GC rival and seems to be losing, you don't interfere! That should be something every gregario knew.

Good reaction from Bernal in Kanter's crash. The young Colombian maneuvered his bike exactly between Kanter's bike and body.

Sagan's victories are mostly beautiful and spectacular at Grand Tours these days and sometimes cost his team a lot of energy.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah, I agree it's a reflex, you have to be quite smart to think all those scenarios through in the heat of the moment and how the distributions of seconds will be.

But I think that is what coaches are for. Tell the riders that if your GC guy is in a boni sprint with a GC rival and seems to be losing, you don't interfere! That should be something every gregario knew.
I am a bit confused about what Narvaez did wrong here. Please explain. Thanks.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I am a bit confused about what Narvaez did wrong here. Please explain. Thanks.
If he didn't sprint Remco takes 3s (instead of 2s) and Bernal takes 2s (instead of 1s). Same difference between them, but they take an extra second over the other contenders. Next to that it could've been risky if Evenepoel somehow managed to overtake him just before the line or Narvaez didn't manage to pass him which could have costed another second.

TRENDING THREADS