• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 13: Ravenna – Verona 198 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will be victorious?

• Peter Sagan

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Fernando Gaviria

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Elia Viviani

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Giacomo Nizzolo

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Davide Cimolai

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Dylan Groenewegen

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Matteo Mosschetti

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Andrea Pasqualon

• David Dekker

• I can't think of any other sprinter. I'm sorry.

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I suppose you need to be really strong to drop your sprinter off your wheel in the flat finish.. Surely it wasn't intended though (or maybe it was?)
He didn't drop his sprinter, though, a Bora rider got in between him and Groenewegen, through a left hander with 500m to go, and just seemed to sit up. Not sure if the Bora plan was to disrupt Groenewegen, in which case it worked, or to hope Affini would sit up once he was on his own, in which case it didn't work, or to use Affini as a stepping stone draft to get to the finish, in which case is did work, but just for Nizzolo, not Bora.

He didn't drop his sprinter, though, a Bora rider got in between him and Groenewegen, through a left hander with 500m to go, and just seemed to sit up. Not sure if the Bora plan was to disrupt Groenewegen, in which case it worked, or to hope Affini would sit up once he was on his own, in which case it didn't work, or to use Affini as a stepping stone draft to get to the finish, in which case is did work, but just for Nizzolo, not Bora.

Watch the last 600m closely once again. It wasn't Bora rider (Oss) getting between Affini and Groenewegen.
When they were on that last roundabout, two Bora guys (Bodnar, Oss) were at the front with 3 TJV riders behind them (Affini was the 2nd one with Groenewegen 3rd on his wheel). Just as Bodnar finished his turn and Oss took the front, Affini rapidly accelerated and hit the front (the other TJV guy who was in front of him stayed on Oss's wheel while Groenewegen looked completely lost and dropped back). This acceleration was so strong that Oss couldn't even catch his wheel and eventually Affini almost managed to win the stage.

Clearly, he thought that Groenewegen still stays on his wheel but as soon as realised that he's not (and that he already made quite a gap) Affini decided to go 100% for himself.
The problem is, I really coludn't notice him checking if Groenewegen is with him. After getting to the front, he went full gas, seemed like completely not caring about Groenewegen, and he didn't look back after that even once.

And also with his statements not being very clear I'm willing to say that this was an intended solo long finish attack from Affini.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Gaviria sprinted without a saddle.

E17D86_WQAMK41D

Things not quite working out for him lately.

Clever strategy. A pipe up the poophole should really enrage a vigorous sprint.

Ever had your fingers slip through the toilet paper?