• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 14: Cittadella – Monte Zoncolan 204 km

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Clickety-Click!

• Voodoo Shark!

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • DROPPED!

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • ATTACK!

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Someone to fall over on the steepest part

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Two-races-in-one kind of day

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters
How? Almeida would have been nowhere close to the Podium right now.
Almeida was obviously going to drop Bernal today and gain 3 minutes to put him on the podium.

I wonder where was Remco on stage 4 to help the team leader
Remco was co-leader and did not have to help Almeida at that point. How hard is it to understand? Almeida cracked first, so Evenepoel became the sole leader at that point. Had Almeida not cracked, he would not have to have waited during the gravel stage or on Zoncolan. Remco is still closer to Bernal now, than Almeida would have been, even if Almeida would never have needed to wait for Evenepoel.

Last edited:
Reactions: carolina
Almeida was obviously going to drop Bernal today and gain 3 minutes to put him on the podium.

Remco was co-leader and did not have to help Almeida at that point. How hard is it to understand? Almeida cracked first, so Evenepoel became the sole leader at that point. Had Almeida not cracked, he would not have to have waited during the gravel stage or on Zoncolan. Remco is still closer to Bernal now, than Almeida would have been, even if Almeida would never have needed to wait for Evenepoel.
what co-leader; Almeida was THE leader going in to race, Remco had a crash and was just getting back to racing or at least thats what they were telling us.
What is hard for me to understand is how would this play out if DQS was a portugese team. I imagine very different

Reactions: SHAD0W93
This. At this point in time Bernal has basically done what Yates was doing in 2018. Sure, Egan has a slightly better pedigree, but still.
He's done it in a different way, he seems to have ridden within himself and waited to attack when he probably could've taken more time by going earlier. But still, Bernal's been faultless and taken time on all or almost all potential threats at every opportunity. He's never looked under pressure at any point either. Surely that can't continue the whole way, he doesn't have the team to completely suffocate the race on the remaining mountain stages.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
what co-leader; Almeida was THE leader going in to race, Remco had a crash and was just getting back to racing or at least thats what they were telling us.
What is hard for me to understand is how would this play out if DQS was a portugese team. I imagine very different
They were co-leaders. Honoré said it in an interview two weeks before the start of the Giro they (Remco & João) were the two leaders. Lefevere said it had been agreed before the Giro, and after Almeida lost time they discussed the hierarchy again. But i'm sure you know better than people within the team, so no need to take this discussion any further.

And if DQT were a Portuguese team, Almeida would probably have signed a renewal.

This weak field nonsense needs to die a death. The only GC I can remember where there were honestly even 3 top riders in contention for the whole race was the 2012 Vuelta (and Froome until he ran out of steam). People get injured, do other races, lose form, crash etc. Edit. And even then the rest of the top 10 was garbage, Talansky in 7th?

Last edited:
They were co-leaders. Honoré said it in an interview two weeks before the start of the Giro they (Remco & João) were the two leaders. Lefevere said it had been agreed before the Giro, and after Almeida lost time they discussed the hierarchy again. But i'm sure you know better than people within the team, so no need to take this discussion any further.

And if DQT were a Portuguese team, Almeida would probably have signed a renewal.
Almeida: " We go to the Giro with me as the leader. "

This weak field nonsense needs to die a death. The only GC I can remember where there were honestly even 3 top riders in contention for the whole race was the 2012 Vuelta (and Froome until he ran out of steam). People get injured, do other races, lose form, crash etc. Edit. And even then the rest of the top 10 was garbage, Talansky in 7th?
Who gives a *** about the strength of the #7 in GC when they don't affect racing at all. The top 3/5 is wayyyy more important.

Wait Bennett is the one with the scarf right? It looks more like he is being supported than the other way around.

A commissaire should have stopped or warned him (Bennett), with the possibility of kicking him out of the race.
Froome running without real sanctions flashbacks.

TRENDING THREADS