• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 17: Canazei - Sega di Ala 193 km

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How acquainted shall we be with the finish line during the stage?

• Not at all

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Just the regular Bernie stuff

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Few shots due to loss of live coverage

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • They might show some shots of more than a few seconds...

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • All the finish line shots!

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
no I am not but so was Roglic in 2019, a lot can happen in 3 weeks, form goes up for some and down for others
Roglic was not head and shoulders above the rest in 2019. He gained time in the time trials because he is a better time trialist and lost time in the mountains. He was not the best climber on a single stage compared to Bernal who was strongest in 3 stages at least and was in the first group of GC riders on 2 more stages.

Roglic was not head and shoulders above the rest in 2019. He gained time in the time trials because he is a better time trialist and lost time in the mountains. He was not the best climber on a single stage compared to Bernal who was strongest in 3 stages at least and was in the first group of GC riders on 2 more stages.
well, than we can look at last year Vuelta; my point stands that some riders fade at the end others like Nibali get stronger; times of the super dopers I hope are over where you could hold your form at the same level for 3 weeks

reading this thread looks like Bernal will have an excuse everytime he is droped for the rest of his carrer, it was his back.
I buy his "back" story as much as I buy the Froome "bilharzia"story.
Last year at TDF he said he was doing his best numbers ever and than his "back" happened as he got droped.
I beliveve there was to much pressure put on him last year and when he saw he couldnt compete Sky invented another stroy
You are so desperate to make Bernal lose that first you make Martinez the leader today and second that Bernal is lying about his back. Now comparing his lie with the Froome "Bilharzia Story" which have no similarities whatsoever.

Let's just wait a little to see what happen. There could be other reasons for a bad day. In fact everyone was expecting at least 1 off day from Bernal and expecting him to manage it. If this is his bad day then I think he managed it OK. We'll see.

You are so desperate to make Bernal lose that first you make Martinez the leader today and second that Bernal is lying about his back. Now comparing his lie with the Froome "Bilharzia Story" which have no similarities whatsoever.

Let's just wait a little to see what happen. There could be other reasons for a bad day. In fact everyone was expecting at least 1 off day from Bernal and expecting him to manage it. If this is his bad day then I think he managed it OK. We'll see.
It's very simple. If it was a bad day, bernal will win this giro. If bernal is again with problems on his back, he will be on trouble.

I think we all know topt is more of an anti-supporter than a supporter. He likes to talk down riders that aren't his favourite rider.

• Sad
Reactions: BlueRoads
I think for me Bernal had weak legs on the steapest parts, not a good sign
He also couldn't even follow Caruso to the finish line, again not a good sign.
I think he's cracking...once again we see you can't follow everything for 3 weeks....he was sprinting for 1 second in the first week with Remco for god sake. I hope he learns for the future the need for saving energy.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Who surprised me most today is Diego Ullissi, he came in with Berna and Caruso

E2VYl1IXIBAFF3n

Reactions: Lui98

wrong, I dont care who wins I just want to see exciting racing; well thats not entierly true, I really didnt want the belgian "wonderboy" to win.
And no, I would not be shocked if they are lying, they have done it before many many times. I mean will this continue to the end of his carrer, everytime he gets droped we are gona blame his back.
Sure, could be one day off, i hope it isnt; not cause I dont want him to win but cause it would make one hell of a race.

Last edited:
We can speculate all we want, and we will only find out when the race is over, if ever.
If it's a bad day after a rest day, if it's Bernal's back or if he's fading.

I don't think it's the later, 2 days ago he put 45 secs on the next rider in Giau. And today he only conceded against Yates (and Caruso 3"), but did better than the rest.

I better think this is a different Yates (not his brother, though). The one who we only saw a bit in Zoncolan. The fact that S. Yates also had a minicrisis in the last Km shows he was going full gas.

As @roundabout said: Bernal was probably overconfident following Yates, and didn't dial down when he was in the red.
I guess he should have responded to Yates, but Bernal's mistake as he called, was to dig too deep into red. He should have assessed earlier and tempo'ed with Martínez. I guess he would have lost less time, and probably finished ahead of Caruso

Reactions: Leinster
Doesn't sound like issues with his back, he just said others were better today.

I guess we'll find out in a few days if he just had an off day or if he peaked early and is losing form. In any case, every GC rider except maybe Caruso has had at least one bad day this Giro. Only losing 53 seconds to a guy 4:20 down and no real time to anyone else who is a threat isn't at all catastrophic but it does at least add a little intrigue to the final few days.

Doesn't sound like issues with his back, he just said others were better today.

I guess we'll find out in a few days if he just had an off day or if he peaked early and is losing form. In any case, every GC rider except maybe Caruso has had at least one bad day this Giro. Only losing 53 seconds to a guy 4:20 down and no real time to anyone else who is a threat isn't at all catastrophic but it does at least add a little intrigue to the final few days.
He's never going to say publicly if it was because of his back. That wouldn't be the smartest move. But yeah, it could be that he just had a bit of an off-day.

TRENDING THREADS