• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 17: Canazei - Sega di Ala 193 km

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How acquainted shall we be with the finish line during the stage?

• Not at all

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Just the regular Bernie stuff

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Few shots due to loss of live coverage

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • They might show some shots of more than a few seconds...

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • All the finish line shots!

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
E2VNdZHXMAQwMBc
If ever a photo called for a caption competition...

Martinez: Come and get the invisible ice cream, come on
Caruso: I'm gonna steal that invisible ice cream out of his hand.

If (and who knows whether it is) going to be a case of Bernal leaking a bit of time each day rather than either bouncing back or slumping entirely, could it be that the rainjacket removal at Cortina would be crucial?

It wouldn't be the first time that removing clothes in a Cortina has had consequences, I suppose...

As @roundabout said: Bernal was probably overconfident following Yates, and didn't dial down when he was in the red.
I guess he should have responded to Yates, but Bernal's mistake as he called, was to dig too deep into red. He should have assessed earlier and tempo'ed with Martínez. I guess he would have lost less time, and probably finished ahead of Caruso

It could be because Almeida was also gone? Because if it was only Yates I would probably have told myself, okay, he's some way behind me, simply even more explosive, not a better time trialer, so let it go - but then you have Almeida up the road also and maybe you're thinking you should be able to follow.

And honestly I have no idea why. Would it not have been more sensible to save energy for today? Or did he want to get into serious mode after the rest day, because of today? But yes, his performance was really, really good, one of the most surprising yesterday.
Very surprising to me.
When he passed me on the climb with 4 km to go he looked easy while more competent climbers like Bardet, Carthy and even Bernal looked on the limit. His shape is clearly improving as the Giro goes on. Let's not forget he only came back to racing a couple of months ago after a pretty serious health issue.

Also, this is not the first time he performs at a very high level in the Giro mountains. I remember he was 4th in Risoul 2016 (started the climb with the first group and finished only a minute behind Nibali and 10 seconds behind Chaves/Nieve).

Last edited:
Very surprising to me.
When he passed me on the climb with 4 km to go he looked easy while more competent climbers like Bardet, Carthy and even Bernal looked on the limit. His shape is clearly improving as the Giro goes on. Let's not forget he only came back to racing a couple of months ago after a pretty serious health issue.

Also, this is not the first time he performs at a very high level in the Giro mountains. I remember he was 4th in Risoul 2016 (started the climb with the first group and finished only a minute behind Nibali and 10 seconds behind Chaves/Nieve).
I fear that Cassani will take him to the Olympics as a protected rider after yesterday.
He still can't handle the distance and isn't a great descender/bike handler. I'd have Formolo and Moscon as the 2 leaders.

TRENDING THREADS