• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 21: Senago – Milano 30.3 km ITT

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ganna?

• 0.1 - 10 seconds

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • 10.1 - 20 seconds

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • 20.1 - 30 seconds

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • 30.1 - 40 seconds

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • 40.1 - 50 seconds

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • 50.1 - 60 seconds

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Over a minute

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • No! (Who? - name in your reply)

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters
Maybe. We'll see how everything looks in several years. I mean, Roglic is terrific but Bernal currently has two wins that are bigger than any win Roglic has and he's quite a bit younger.

I will be curious to see if he can pick up any major one day wins. Seems capable with podiums in Strade Bianche and Lombardia.
I meant at the current time if they all went head to head but yes Bernal has better GT wins currently than Roglic. I doubt Bernal will have a better GT record than Pogacar when their careers finish.

Reactions: IndurainsTdF1994
Ya, I'd just go with that whilst Bernals major 2 wins are better, Roglic had a stupid quantity of victories which makes him above imo.
I would probably agree with this but Bernal certainly has time on his side as he's 8 years younger. I guess we'll have to see if he improves, stagnates, or declines. I'm actually curious to see how this entire new generation progresses. Seemed like most riders used to hit their peak in their late 20s and early 30s but nowadays young guys are winning big races everywhere.

Reactions: IndurainsTdF1994
Congratulation to Egan Bernal for winning his first Giro! Let's forget for a moment he rides for Ineos and is a walking commercial for Grenadier and enjoy a deserved win.

If he doesn't gain access to the Murcian Fountain of Youth, Roglic has another 5 years maybe in this sport at the highest level, Bernal has about double that amount. Chances are he'll have a better track record than Rog given that Bernal already has the two biggest trophies in stage racing, something that Roglic is still missing.

On the other hand, Pogacar will probably be Bernal's nemesis in the years to come. At the moment both are better Grand Tour riders than Bernal but that doesn't mean that under the right circumstances he can't defeat them. I can't see other candidates in the foreseeable future.

Reactions: mollusc
Congratulation to Egan Bernal for winning his first Giro! Let's forget for a moment he rides for Ineos and is a walking commercial for Grenadier and enjoy a deserved win.

If he doesn't gain access to the Murcian Fountain of Youth, Roglic has another 5 years maybe in this sport at the highest level, Bernal has about double that amount. Chances are he'll have a better track record than Rog given that Bernal already has the two biggest trophies in stage racing, something that Roglic is still missing.

On the other hand, Pogacar will probably be Bernal's nemesis in the years to come. At the moment both are better Grand Tour riders than Bernal but that doesn't mean that under the right circumstances he can't defeat them. I can't see other candidates in the foreseeable future.

GC contenders for next years GT by age (under 26)

Pogacar (22)
Bernal (24)
Almeida (22)
Vlasov (25)
Remco (21)

Well Bernal deserved the win
And Caruso with a wonderful result
Almedia ...what might have been ?

At the other end of the spectrum Trek/Movistar
The shark has lost his teeth
Ciccone crash unfortunate
And what about TGBM ? what was he up to this Giro
The shark has been gummy for a while now. I hope that was his last Giro. QS messed up starting Remco. He could have ridden the Dauphine for similar results. Almeida should have led the team. Caruso was a revelation, just a shame some of the others riders like Carthy didn't show up. Hindley had a disastrous race, started bad and got worse.

I think the thing with Roglic is he came to the sport a lot later so had less miles on his legs. He could conceivably have a longer shelf life than usual.

Bernal is possibly the opposite with his back issues and his peak might be shorter and he also has a ridiculous amount of competition at Ineos for GTs. Ineos could pick 3 different GC leaders next season and they'd still be amongst the favourites.

EyV3NXQQ78CjHWK7N3GVPE-840-80.jpg.webp

The looks on their faces... probably a very fair representation of their feelings. Bernal really happy, Caruso overjoyed, Yates disappointed but friendly.

GC contenders for next years GT by age (under 26)

Pogacar (22)
Bernal (24)
Almeida (22)
Vlasov (25)
Remco (21)
I assume this is just your opinion of who the best young guys will be? Otherwise, there are other riders in that age range that have GT results already that you didn't include. I mean, Dani Martinez is the same age as Vlasov and barely finished behind him in the Giro despite not even riding for himself the entire race.

The shark has been gummy for a while now. I hope that was his last Giro. QS messed up starting Remco. He could have ridden the Dauphine for similar results. Almeida should have led the team. Caruso was a revelation, just a shame some of the others riders like Carthy didn't show up. Hindley had a disastrous race, started bad and got worse.
Nibali could've been a valuable lieutenant for Ciccone. But Ciccone wasted to much energy with useless attacks in the first stages, then lost time in precious moments and eventually had bad luck crashing.

Mainly that's Trek's sports director to blame though. Either Ciccone goes for stages & KOM again or GC. There should've been a clear decision. That's exactly the sports directors task to step in and either take or demand that decision.

Reactions: movingtarget

TRENDING THREADS