• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 6: Grotte di Frasassi – Ascoli Piceno (S.Giacomo) 160 km

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

When will RedheadDane figure out how to make a poll?

• Before stage 5

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Before the end of the Giro

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Before the end of the year

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Never

Votes: 29 47.5%

• Total voters
Excuse me... it's bad enough that toby keeps saying you're old when you're over 30, but 25?!
It's not my fault that the modern generation of cyclists moved the line between young and old backwards that much. But I think it doesn't apply to the world outside of cycling where the trend seems to be quite the opposite (at least from my observations).
Hope you felt little bit relieved after my explanation. :D

That attack by Ciccone, Bardet and Bettiol sort of summed up why DSM and Trek aren't very good

DSM - Hindley looked poor yesterday, so we'll send Bardet on an obviously doomed attack to knacker him as well. Hopefully this will confuse people enough that they don't notice Hindley has got even worse

Trek - Send Mollema on an exciting attack, and then your GC leader on an exciting attack to catch him. 15 minutes after everyone else, realise this is a bafflingly, stupid waste of time. Pretend you have a plan by having Nibali cling on to the top 20 for the first week

Reactions: Fantastico
That attack by Ciccone, Bardet and Bettiol sort of summed up why DSM and Trek aren't very good

DSM - Hindley looked poor yesterday, so we'll send Bardet on an obviously doomed attack to knacker him as well. Hopefully this will confuse people enough that they don't notice Hindley has got even worse

Trek - Send Mollema on an exciting attack, and then your GC leader on an exciting attack to catch him. 15 minutes after everyone else, realise this is a bafflingly, stupid waste of time. Pretend you have a plan by having Nibali cling on to the top 20 for the first week

If they actually switched Nibali and Ciccone, it'd have been a great idea then. Nibali could have rode with Bettiol and maybe they'd make it to Mollema and co and Trek have two options for the stage but then even if Nibali slides, he might finish with the main GC guys anyway. Keeps Ciccone fresher too when he clearly has great legs atm

Reactions: postmanhat
I love the way Trek is riding this year.
Last year they kept trying to control races they had no business controlling. And very often got nothing out of it.
This year they've been winning a lot of races by just being opportunistic and always putting a rider in attacking moves.
Ciccone wasted very little energy when he got away with Bardet and Bettiol. Not surprisingly he was still fresh enough to follow Bernal.

They don't have any of the favorite to win or podium this race. They have to take chances.

It's not my fault that the modern generation of cyclists moved the line between young and old backwards that much. But I think it doesn't apply to the world outside of cycling where the trend seems to be quite the opposite (at least from my observations).
Hope you felt little bit relieved after my explanation. :D

I was mostly joking. I'm just not ready for people younger than me to be considered veterans!

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I love the way Trek is riding this year.
Last year they kept trying to control races they had no business controlling. And very often got nothing out of it.
This year they've been winning a lot of races by just being opportunistic and always putting a rider in attacking moves.
Ciccone wasted very little energy when he got away with Bardet and Bettiol. Not surprisingly he was still fresh enough to follow Bernal.

They don't have any of the favorite to win or podium this race. They have to take chances.

Agree they've definitely got a bit more organised in the classics the last couple of years

They don't have to take chances with Ciccone though. He's in form at the moment. He could finish top five or even podium. Or he could stagehunt. Today was never going to be a day for the latter, so it was just a complete waste of energy

This may seem like I am against attacking, but that was probably not the best place to attack for Ciccone. I think he is at the stage of the career where he could do more than just attack for the sake of attacking.
Think it was probably more a case of a few good descenders unable to go slowly enough downhill to stay with the less competent Ineo$ descenders. Suddenly they got to the bottom and had a 30 second gap without really doing anything. Ciccone obviously didn't ride. Bardet did but probably was glass-cranking a bit

Reactions: SafeBet
Could not log in all day. Did Remco in the mountain break the forum ?
I usually go to the Cycling News homepage first (to catch headlines) and then go to the CN Forum from the dropdown menu on that page, but there was a hardware issue with the Cycling News server, so it was down most of the day (King Boonen confirmed). Then I discovered I could go directly to the the CN Forum URL (forum.cyclingnews.com) and view the forums and posts that way. Just guessing that you might have been trying to do what I was trying to do (going to the Cycling News homepage first).

Seeing that Attila Valter is from Csömör - how do you pronounce that?
It is actually a suburb of Budapest, one of the suburban railway lines stops there, so the previous suggestion of Budapest was not far off.

The pronunciation is not that difficult if you know the 'ö' sound from German, like in Pöstlberger, it's the same in Hungarian. Cs is like 'ch' in English or 'tsch' in German, the 'm' and 'r' are the same as in English.

Bernal looking good so far. I just hope his form is not following the the Simon Yates route of peaking too much in the first 2 weeks and falling away in the difficult third week. Then again, he took a break from racing after Tirreno so all might be ok.
If Bernal is in peak form there is no way the likes of those who finished with him yesterday would be finishing with him in the mountains (Evenepoel is still unknown in this regard but I doubt it, only Pog, peak Yates and maybe Roglic could). Thats not to say he will achieve his peak.

Congrats Gino!

If there was ever any grudge involved, that should be settled now. Mohorič should likely get a bit of that shiny medal too. And what a lovely bunch of GC favorites, letting Gino take the stage win.

P.S. Landa crashing, that instantly made this Giro like 40% less to me. If onyl they would ban the supertuck and bottle littering. The question of Bernal vs. Evenepoel it is then. Lets see what the high mountains will say.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS