• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 6: Grotte di Frasassi – Ascoli Piceno (S.Giacomo) 160 km

When will RedheadDane figure out how to make a poll?

• Before stage 5

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Before the end of the Giro

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Before the end of the year

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Never

Votes: 29 47.5%

• Total voters
Commas, years and a mountain finish in stage 6

Stage 6: Grotte di Frasassi – Ascoli Piceno (S.Giacomo) 160 km

Thursday, May 13th, 12.35 CEST

BiKmrcatOqpmulT6HoBA_220421-091044.jpg

X3gLpxKBwLdNZz7YaJvH_220421-091051.jpg

Technical Overview:

The first MTF of the Giro comes in a rather short stage that packs a serious punch for being so early in the race. Starting from the famous Frasassi Caves, the stage will head south inland over some rolling terrain, including a few decent ramps but nothing serious. Then, at km 77, the road will go up to the first categorized climb of the day, a very serious one. Forca di Gualdo (GPM2, 10.4 km at 7.4%) is at the edge of being considered a GPM1, and features a very tough first section, featuring some double-digit gradients. Shame that it is so isolated in the middle of the stage. At the top there is a very short descent that includes the small climb to Castelluccio, slightly over 1 km at 7%, and that leads to the second climb of the day, Forca di Presta (GPM3, 4.8 km at 4.2%). This is unfortunately little more than a false flat, as the only hard ramp is the last 500m at 9%. A long, glorious descent will bring everyone to a 32 km long descending false flat, which would probably kill any attempt made in the previous climbs. This false flat ends directly into the town of Ascoli Piceno, which despite being marked as the finish location is still quite far from the finish, which will be up into the mountains again. S.Giacomo (GPM2, 15.5km at 6.1%) is quite a big MTF, the longest of this edition, in fact. It features a first 10 km section at 5.5% average, before ramping up for the last 5 km at 7.6%.

Final Kilometers

tttqrDRCe1UNrefaWEx0_220421-091053.jpg

The Climbs:

Forca di Gualdo: GPM2, 10.4 km at 7.4%

A deceptively hard climb, with 3.5 km at 9.2% in the first half.

w6yNVGNRjlcXmcG0qSlP_220421-091058.jpg

Forca di Presta: GPM3, 4.8 km at 4.2%

Just a false flat with a tough final km. No official profile, so here is Cyclingcols.

PrestaW.gif

S.Giacomo: GPM2, 15.5km at 6.1%

The longest MTF of this Giro, very easy for the first two thirds but quite demanding in the last.

Zzse5jrp6TaWhqSQF0oO_220421-091100.jpg

What to expect:

The first MTF usually does not say much, but there is definitely enough terrain to put up a good show. I do not expect anything to happen before the final climb of course.

Grotte-di-Frasassi-i-Giganti-@Frasassia-700x500.jpg

Grotte di Frasassi

The hardest of the week 1 mtf's but unfortunately those week 1 mtf's in the giro tend to suck pretty badly and I have the gut feeling this one will as well. Best case scenario is an all out battle on the last 5 km, worst case is some team neutralizing the gc battle entirely.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The hardest of the week 1 mtf's but unfortunately those week 1 mtf's in the giro tend to suck pretty badly and I have the gut feeling this one will as well. Best case scenario is an all out battle on the last 5 km, worst case is some team neutralizing the gc battle entirely.
It's Etna but not Etna. I think it's fine, it's just seems a little weird to have a 15km MTF at this stage in the race, I reckon 2 to 3km of action if it's not a straight up uphill sprint.

I love the image of the Grotte being included!

I don't think Landa is actually stronger than Bernal if it comes down to it. But yeah Ineos had so many guys left on tuesday's stage I can just see them controlling this until the end. Curious if Evenepoel will look substantially better on a less steep climb.

• Wow
Quite sure somebody like Landa will try to test the opposition here again. Whether this then becomes an interesting stage depends on whether all the big favorites can follow. If one of them is not there (like Evenepoel or Yates) i am quite sure that they will ride to distance them.

If none of the bigger favorites gets distanced after the first skirmishes this will become a very boring stage with quite a large group sprinting for some seconds in the last kilometer.

• Sad
the final climb kinda sucks,44km downhill into not steep enough climb for anyone to attack up untill it starts going over 7%, looks like ineos controlled day if bernal feels well

if the downhill wasnt so long i would fancy Mohoric with Landa trying to escape before that 3rd cat

the final climb kinda sucks,44km downhill into not steep enough climb for anyone to attack up untill it starts going over 7%, looks like ineos controlled day if bernal feels well

if the downhill wasnt so long i would fancy Mohoric with Landa trying to escape before that 3rd cat

I'm gonna go with a very attacking Bahrain on that final climb with Tratnik, Mohoric, Valls and Mader setting the tempo initially on the climb. When the final steeper ramp starts Caruso will increase the pace significantly, with Landa giving it a go at about 3 kilometers from the finish.

No... it means that everyone apart from those voting "before stage 5" has lost the poll.

In what universe is "before stage 5" not also "before the end of the Giro" and "before the end of the year"?

I knew you were probably going to figure it out before the end of the Giro if not before the start of today's stage, considering I had giving you a helping hand, but I decided to play it safe.

TRENDING THREADS