• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 8: Foggia – Guardia Sanframondi 170 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tratnik, Bettoil, Guerriero, Mohoric, Gallopin, Visconti, Covi, Brambilla, Roche, Bouwmann, Tetafision

potential break candidates
You could name half the peloton. De Gendt, Taramae, Champoussin, Goossens, Jorgenson, Hermans, Mollema...

Bahrain should be very active again. I expect Mohorič in the break. Maybe Bilbao can join too. He already lost some time. Hopefully he'll ride aggressively from now on, like he's been riding for the last couple of years.
Hehe, Bilbao is at 2 minutes from Valter and 1m50s from Evenepoel. Fat chance they'll let him in the break.

the TV pictures seem to be particularly bad in the first part, even when there's no rain, like today. Do they use a cheaper method (like 4G transmission, or whatever) as long as it's exclusively (in Italy) on Rai Sport, and not on Rai 2 yet?

Hehe, Bilbao is at 2 minutes from Valter and 1m50s from Evenepoel. Fat chance they'll let him in the break.
I didn't mean in the early break, but maybe attack from the group of favourites on top of the long climb or on the descent and try to bridge to teammates in the break.

With Landa out, they have 2 GC cards to play, buy neither of them should normally be a podium candidate, so they have to be creative.Their DS Stangelj said both Bilbao and Caruso will be protected riders till the sterrato stage and then they'll decide the tactics going forward. For both to just try to follow the best and then end up around 10th place in GC doesn't make any sense and is the worst thing they can do.

I didn't mean in the early break, but maybe attack from the group of favourites on top of the long climb or on the descent and try to bridge to teammates in the break.

With Landa out, they have 2 GC cards to play, buy neither of them should normally be a podium candidate, so they have to be creative.Their DS Stangelj said both Bilbao and Caruso will be protected riders till the sterrato stage and then they'll decide the tactics going forward. For both to just try to follow the best and then end up around 10th place in GC doesn't make any sense and is the worst thing they can do.
More like an early attack, than going in the break, then. I actually think it would be good for someone like Almeida to do something like that. He's even further back so he should get even more leeway than Bilbao. If he was really bad just due to bad weather and not bad form, he might still be able to play a tactical role in GC later in this Giro.

More like an early attack, than going in the break, then. I actually think it would be good for someone like Almeida to do something like that. He's even further back so he should get even more leeway than Bilbao. If he was really bad just due to bad weather and not bad form, he might still be able to play a tactical role in GC later in this Giro.
Yes, Almeida is another good candidate. He looked way better on stage 6. But do you think DQS would even try to bring him back in GC contention? I think they are all in with Remco and won't try anything "fancy" with Almeida. I think they'd want him and Masnada to be near Remco at all times, at least on the crucial climbs towards the end of the stage (I'm not talking specifically about this stage, but any stage). Especially now, when Remco is in a position to defend already.

Yes, Almeida is another good candidate. He looked way better on stage 6. But do you think DQS would even try to bring him back in GC contention? I think they are all in with Remco and won't try anything "fancy" with Almeida. I think they'd want him and Masnada to be near Remco at all times, at least on the crucial climbs towards the end of the stage (I'm not talking specifically about this stage, but any stage). Especially now, when Remco is in a position to defend already.
They probably won't, but i would (if i were them). I don't think Almeida will be able to really be a contender anyway, but he could give the team some extra options if he were at say 1 or 2 minutes in GC. I'm talking about similar situations like Ineos with Martinez. Martinez attacked and Masnada & Almeida had to work, which left Evenepoel isolated as soon as Bernal attacked. And now would be the time to have him do it, take some time back in GC i mean. If they wait longer, and it's clear that he has indeed grown stronger as the race progresses, then Ineos won't give him the possibility to claw his way back into GC contention. Remember last year's TDF, when the group of favorites was al that was left. Had Roglic still had Dumoulin close in GC, and had he attacked, then Pogacar would have had to chase Dumoulin himself, paving the way for Roglic. It's scenarios like that that i'm talking about.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Kinda disappointed De Gendt hasn't been in any breakaways yet. Kinda hoping that will happen tomorrow. The stage should suit him well enough.
I see a lot of logic in De Gendt not going in any breakaways in the first week:
  1. He has to work for Ewan, and it seems it's Lotto's best recipe for stage victory success.
  2. First week stages are a lot harder to make the breakaway successful: everybody is fresh and hungry, and the GC is not set yet.
  3. The older De Gendt gets, the longer he needs to ride into form in a 3-week grand tour.