• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 8: Foggia – Guardia Sanframondi 170 km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
2020 Giro looks more and more like the weakest GT since probably decades. Hindley, Almeida, Nibali, Masnada nowhere near their top 10s from last year.
Yeah, it's pretty meh indeed. That said, Remco vs Bernal might actually be the battle between two of the four strongest gc riders in the world right now, we are currently just really clueless about how good two actually are. I remember bitching around about how weak the 2019 Vuelta field was because a 20 year old managed to get on the podium. I simply didn't realize at the time how good that 20 year old was. This might be similar.

Yeah, it's pretty meh indeed. That said, Remco vs Bernal might actually be the battle between two of the four strongest gc riders in the world right now, we are currently just really clueless about how good two actually are. I remember bitching around about how weak the 2019 Vuelta field was because a 20 year old managed to get on the podium. I simply didn't realize at the time how good that 20 year old was. This might be similar.
First 10 stages of the Giro have been *** for like 5 years now, apart from 2018 I guess.

He was talking about last year, not this year.

Some photos from the start

z8nmNY8_d.webp

xRYhTCk_d.webp

t3fKasC_d.webp

gxQkqcv_d.webp

0Hz6Ras_d.webp

Simon Yates, Sylvain Chavanel, Niki Terpstra and Adrien Petit qualify as weak breakers?

Niki Terpstra and Petit in the mountains and a neopro Simon Yates in poor shape and an old underperforming Chavanel?

Blel Kadri was probably bottom 25% worst climbers in that Tour but somehow ended up in a break with riders belonging in the bottom 10%.

So yes, that was an anticlimactic break.

I remember seeing Lafay at the sign on for the final stage of the Tour de Yorkshire a few years ago. He was such a rosy cheeked kid, he looked like a schoolboy. But a nice smile and my missus took a shine to him. He went out in the break and rode really well that day, so we have followed his progress closely ever since. For some it may have been a meh! sort of stage. Not for us, I can tell ya. I may have got something in my eye.

The strongest rider won, some of the others like Campenaerts and Carboni tried to get into the breakaway multiple times early on and wasted a decent amount of energy.
Carboni seems to get worse every season he stays at Bardiani, he should probably go to a different team. He looked like a good prospect in the u23 ranks and during his first season as a neopro.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The strongest rider won, some of the others like Campenaerts and Carboni tried to get into the breakaway multiple times early on and wasted a decent amount of energy.
Carboni seems to get worse every season he stays at Bardiani, he should probably go to a different team. He looked like a good prospect in the u23 ranks and during his first season as a neopro.

The Bardiani team looks worse every year. :( Reverberi's have lost the magic it seems. Couple years now they have lost all comptetiveness in il Giro.

Before and after 2008 they always were good for a show and a nice stage win here or there but last couple of years have been meager... Ciccone the last one in a great line of entertainers

TRENDING THREADS