• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? Pre-race poll.

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2021 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Those 25 going for the Vin(cenz)o option: do you really believe Nibali will win or is it support or do you meant someone else?
I think they are just delusional optimists. Always seeing the bag half full.

But seriously, even I just cannot imagine anyone is genuinely thinking Nibali has a good shot at winning. But since it's also the "other" option and there are no favorites without major question marks I could see why some people have picked it as that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Nibali is riding the Giro mainly because of Segafredo. He's the face of italian cycling and one of the biggest italian sponsors in cycling demands him to be at the start.
Also, there have been rumors of Nibali reitiring at the end of the year, so I can imagine he himself wanted to ride his home race one last time.

He's the kind of rider who always needed everything to go according to plan in the month before his biggest targets. Now at 36 he breaks his wrist and stays a whole week without training right before a GT and we should expect him to be a contender for the maglia rosa? I mean, this would actually surprise me a lot more than Remco winning the Giro.

I just clicked through the gallery of the presentation, and, ugh, it's so annoying to see those women standing there as pretty decoration again.
I got nothing against pretty female models holding flags and trophies at a women's race, and I would be totally okay with it if there were female and male ones at both kind of races. But to consequently use female models as pretty by-standers to present the male riders while the women don't even get serious races makes my heart rage.
Sometimes you wouldn't believe we are in 2021.

I just clicked through the gallery of the presentation, and, ugh, it's so annoying to see those women standing there as pretty decoration again.
I got nothing against pretty female models holding flags and trophies at a women's race, and I would be totally okay with it if there were female and male ones at both kind of races. But to consequently use female models as pretty by-standers to present the male riders while the women don't even get serious races makes my heart rage.
We are in 2021 and milions of people all over the world (male and female) earn money using their bodies in so many different ways.
And everything is ok - IF they are not forced to do it.
In this case, I think women in Italy have many opportunities to earn real money and this kind of job is their choice.

I can't see the harm in it. It's not like the women in question is without agency. And the Giro is hardly responsible for other races not using podium boys.

In fact, I think the disdain for podium girls is an expression of an old-school look on women, as if it's virtueless to capitalise on one's appearance.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Men and women are different, and they have different desires or influences. Men are (largely) attracted to looks. Women are (largely) attracted to status/resources. Highlighting women just for being pretty is no different to highlighting Prince William/Harry because they were born into royalty.

I am not saying that either is right, but it is what it is.

P.S. A big reason why female cycling isn't big is because women would rather read about royals in magazines then watch cycling.

We are in 2021 and milions of people all over the world (male and female) earn money using their bodies in so many different ways.
In this case, I think women in Italy have many opportinities to earn real money and this kind of job is their choice.

Yeah, of course it's their choice :oops: I'm not blaming the women who do this here. :eek: But imagine there were mostly women's races on TV, the biggest GTs were only ridden by women, there were some small races for men, too, and at the big women's events there were some pretty young men in tight clothes standing silently next to the female athletes, holding some flag, trophy, flowers.

It's a question of culture and while at other races it's getting better this shows that cycling is a traditional environment in the worst way.

It's actually frightening you can't see the problem.

Reactions: 42x16ss
Men and women are different, and they have different desires or influences. Men are (largely) attracted to looks. Women are (largely) attracted to status/resources. Highlighting women just for being pretty is no different to highlighting Prince William/Harry because they were born into royalty.

I am not saying that either is right, but it is what it is.

While that is statistically true it is not like that by nature. (Personnally by the way I'm way more drawn towards good looking guys than towards status.) If this is what people get in books, on TV, in shows, in sport, it's no wonder people think this is normal.

The more important point: Are these races only there for men to be watched and therefor women have to fullfill their expected role for them and look pretty on the side?

God, I need to stop. I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

Reactions: 42x16ss and spalco
Yeah, of course it's their choice :oops: I'm not blaming the women who do this here. :eek: But imagine there were mostly women's races on TV, the biggest GTs were only ridden by women, there were some small races for men, too, and at the big women's events there were some pretty young men in tight clothes standing silently next to the female athletes, holding some flag, trophy, flowers.
And what would be wrong with that? Sounds both prudish and narrow-minded to me.

While that is statistically true it is not like that by nature.
Uh, it's exactly by nature. Denying human nature and our evolutionary heritage is stepping in the direction of creationists.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

It's a question of culture and while at other races it's getting better this shows that cycling is a traditional environment in the worst way.

Yes, but first I think we have much more patriarchy philosophy in Mediterranean countries than in North-West part of Europe.
And second - female bodies are much more attractive , independently of sexual orientation of the viewer.
Finally I'm not frightened that you are frightened..

In this case, I think women in Italy have many opportunities to earn real money and this kind of job is their choice.
Many opportunities to earn real money as a young woman in Italy is kinda far from the truth.

Reactions: Lui98 and 42x16ss
While that is statistically true it is not like that by nature. (Personnally by the way I'm way more drawn towards good looking guys than towards status.) If this is what people get in books, on TV, in shows, in sport, it's no wonder people think this is normal.

The more important point: Are these races only there for men to be watched and therefor women have to fullfill their expected role for them and look pretty on the side?

God, I need to stop. I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

Men and women have evolved more on the outside than we have on the inside. We are still largely ruled by our hind brains. Much of western society today favours or promotes female imperatives over males. It's very subtle, so we don't notice it. Recent TV shows that were advertised (without my request) on hotmail/live; The Bachelorette, Super Girl (like a Wonder Woman), The Carrie Diaries (a young Sex And The City girl/version), and Lipstick Jungle (hilarious, but true).

A few pieces of eye candy for us guys (so long as they want to model like that and aren't forced into it) shouldn't be too much to ask for (not that I personally care for that during cycling, I can go to those sources when I'm in the mood).

P.S. Yeah, women care about looks too, for sure. Which tends to be valued higher in importance to status/resources when they are younger.

Reactions: topcat

Agreed. For the Giro to persist with outdated podium ceremonies, while dropping the women's race out of the World Tour to avoid TV obligations is utterly pathetic.

Reactions: Sciatic
EF Education shirts look good this time IMHO!!!!

U4jzdx2osnEqXiQuM6x83E-970-80.jpg.webp
Agreed. Just wish the EF was not on it. Jars with rest of design which otherwise would close to the heights of la vie claire.

Poor Almeida, only 1 thinking he is gonna OVERperform at this Giro.
I picked Yates because he seems like the safest choice but I don't have a big favorite. The route is interesting and it has a lot of potential. I just hope that before the final ITT there are gonna be more than 2 contenders and no monster domestiques like Dennis last year.

Poor Almeida, only 1 thinking he is gonna OVERperform at this Giro.
I picked Yates because he seems like the safest choice but I don't have a big favorite. The route is interesting and it has a lot of potential. I just hope that before the final ITT there are gonna be more than 2 contenders and no monster domestiques like Dennis last year.
It wouldn't be overperforming if people expect him to win, would it?

Reactions: Luthor