• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro Route Rumours

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Montespluga was used as a mtf in the u23 Giro, so that one would make sense, but Montespluga after Cortina is bad pacing and you need a monster transfer plus a really long stage.
I wouldn't mind a transitional stage after Cortina or no Valtellina at all next year.
They could also have an MTF at Campo Moro which was used for an MTT in the Giro Rosa fairly recently. Agree that it would be really poor as a Stage 15 especially if it comes off the back of Cortina.

They could also have an MTF at Campo Moro which was used for an MTT in the Giro Rosa fairly recently. Agree that it would be really poor as a Stage 15 especially if it comes off the back of Cortina.
Maybe Cortina as stage 15 and the Valtellina stage after the rest day? That would make more sense and the really long transfer would no longer be a problem.
Campo Moro is also an interesting, really long climb, that would also be a nice addition.
Anyway, I guess Vegni now needs at least 2 weeks of vacation after this Giro.:D

Reactions: Sandisfan
and the previously mentioned Fausto Coppi Granfondo of Cuneo, which I bet (and really, really hope) is gonna be the penultimate stage.

That's a nice one.

9YQ2mGD.jpg

Fauniera? Wow, I'd love to watch it live. One of most difficult climbs ever used in a GT (but only a couple of times). A 2500 m mamooth with almost 1700 m of climbing. And it's steep: from Pradleves it includes a section over 15 km long with 9% of avg. grade on a narrow and dramatic road. If used properly (as penultimate climb, close to the finish) it could produce great drama.

Colle%20Fauniera0.jpg

Last edited:
Fauniera? Wow, I'd love to watch it live. One of most difficult climbs ever used in a GT (but only a couple of times). A 2500 m mamooth with almost 1700 m of climbing. And it's steep: from Pradleves it includes a section over 15 km long with 9% of avg. grade on a narrow and dramatic road. If used properly (as penultimate climb, close to the finish) it could produce great drama.

Colle%20Fauniera0.jpg
Of the historical climbs I hadn't seen, Fauniera was always higher on my list than Stelvio from Prato for some reason.

Of the historical climbs I hadn't seen, Fauniera was always higher on my list than Stelvio from Prato for some reason.
I guess it's that we've seen Stelvio quite often just never from the hard side. Fauniera has that feeling of a mythical climb of the past. With Stelvio I knew they were gonna ride the Prato side again some time, with Fauniera there was a legit chance they would just never repair the road and I wouldn't see that climb in action throughout my whole life.

Give us monsters (Finestre and Fauniera) properly located on stages in the last week (but separated by an easier day). Plus Gavia/Mortirolo as another brutal stage at the end of week 2. For aesthetic reasons passo Sella would be great: I've trekked a lot in the Dolomites and this pass (and the road) are above any other in terms of beauty with gigantic massifs of Sassolungo and Sella. Here is my photo from the edge of 1-km cliff. You can see the road way below!

ACtC-3cNb7XDfe6b177L0bYvQzhINmuHdaBRutS5XSMgA9pDa-6xA8OhKoxqkETqwt4tqMO_25s6fM_tgvWAVlTc1wraqo1kpQhY2m7qsEf9wQChOKCkTnAKxliUh_MKkSGT8AaFKnZeRR55AONQl0h3iA90=w1688-h949-no

I guess it's that we've seen Stelvio quite often just never from the hard side. Fauniera has that feeling of a mythical climb of the past. With Stelvio I knew they were gonna ride the Prato side again some time, with Fauniera there was a legit chance they would just never repair the road and I wouldn't see that climb in action throughout my whole life.
Yeah I guess Stelvio from Bormio hasn't been that special when I've seen it. I think I also just like the aesthetic with the small road and the name more lol. And the overall stage designs with it (it's hard to connect good climbs before), as well as liking the stage designs I see with it more I guess?

Yeah, what makes the Fauniera great is its much less well known than the Stelvio while probably being equally hard (maybe a bit easier). But as always its impossible to rank these legendary Italian climbs like Stelvio, Finestre, Fauniera, Agnello, Mortirolo...

Yeah, what makes the Fauniera great is its much less well known than the Stelvio while probably being equally hard (maybe a bit easier). But as always its impossible to rank these legendary Italian climbs like Stelvio, Finestre, Fauniera, Agnello, Mortirolo...
I tend to think the difference between them is smaller than the difference that is made by other circumstances. Roughly I'd probably go Finestre>Stelvio=Fauniera>Mortirolo>Agnello with Mortirolo being the most reliable one to generate action but maybe having the lowest ceiling as it's always at 30km to go with a super easy climb afterward.

Fauniera is among 6-7 hardest climbs ever used in a GT, most of them coming from Italy (other climbs in this group are mentioned Stelvio, Finestre, Mortirolo plus obviously Zoncolan, Angliru and Grossglockner (used once methinks)).

TRENDING THREADS