• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro Route Rumours

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think part of the Fauniera myth comes from the climb not being shown live on TV (neither in 99, nor the Esischie bit in 03, and getting cancelled in 01 also didn't help). I think a lot of Savoldelli's mythical descent was also not covered.

So we are free to make up things in our heads how the race went down and the gaps came about.

I obviously meant Grossglockner Hohestrasse (Hochtor being the highest point). Beast of a climb.
Also beast of a stage back in 1971:
grossglockner_85bee3f5.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think they didn't finish on top of the Grossglockner

All the way back in 1971. That said, in the Österreichrundfahrt there has actually been a mtf on the Edelweißspitze not too long ago which is basically an additional 2 km at 10% on cobbles after the hardest part of this Großglockner side. So yeah, way to go giro.

Edit: Oh man, Mayo beat me to it.
Edit2: As this was about really hard giro passes though, also a shoutout to the Timmelsjoch/Passo del Rombo used in 1988. That's another monster I'd really like to see

In a similar vein, I'd also love to see Blockhaus as a pass (preferably late-race and finishing in Chieti, Guardiagrele or, if earlier in the race, the easy side of Lanciano) and certain unused sides of Monte Grappa (or just use the classic side better). And obviously Monte Crostis, but that will probably never happen...

All the way back in 1971. That said, in the Österreichrundfahrt there has actually been a mtf on the Edelweißspitze not too long ago which is basically an additional 2 km at 10% on cobbles after the hardest part of this Großglockner side. So yeah, way to go giro.

Edit2: As this was about really hard giro passes though, also a shoutout to the Timmelsjoch/Passo del Rombo used in 1988. That's another monster I'd really like to see

After that finish on Rettenbachferner or even Tiefenbachferner. Probably one of the hardest paved roads in Europe as well. Problem would be that it's higher than the Stelvio, so the highest Cima Coppi ever would be outside of Italy, which probably wouldn't be something they'd go for.

After that finish on Rettenbachferner or even Tiefenbachferner. Probably one of the hardest paved roads in Europe as well. Problem would be that it's higher than the Stelvio, so the highest Cima Coppi ever would be outside of Italy, which probably wouldn't be something they'd go for.
They finished at the main parking lot at Rettenbachferner at 2669m in the Tour de Suisse so it could be done in an edition with Stelvio or Agnello. Otherwise, you'd be doing a descent finish or the climb to Hochsölden, both of which would be excellent too...

Even so, imagine a route with Timmelsjoch and Rettenbachferner on one day, and then looping back to Italy over the Reschenpass and climbing Stelvio from Prato the day after.
[Insert picture of Angelo Zomegnan]

They finished at the main parking lot at Rettenbachferner at 2669m in the Tour de Suisse so it could be done in an edition with Stelvio or Agnello. Otherwise, you'd be doing a descent finish or the climb to Hochsölden, both of which would be excellent too...

Even so, imagine a route with Timmelsjoch and Rettenbachferner on one day, and then looping back to Italy over the Reschenpass and climbing Stelvio from Prato the day after.
I mean in a way it's just crazy. You have two of the hardest climbs in the Alps right next to each other and yet they've never been used together. Timmelsjoch - Rettenbachferner (if only the lower parking lot to keep the Cima Coppi in Italy) is probably the combination of climbs I want to see in a gt more badly than any other one.

Ah yeah, you may be right, there were different finish locations in the past. I was thinking of the finish at the parking lot after the tunnel that we had in the Tour de Suisse a couple of years ago. I think Spilak won ahead of Ion Izagirre. The parking lot is at 2805 m and the highest point of the road at 2830 m. 14 km @ 10.3 % is quite something at that altitude.

I mean in a way it's just crazy. You have two of the hardest climbs in the Alps right next to each other and yet they've never been used together. Timmelsjoch - Rettenbachferner (if only the lower parking lot to keep the Cima Coppi in Italy) is probably the combination of climbs I want to see in a gt more badly than any other one.
It's even crazier because Sölden has paid up for not one, but two foreign races over the years.

Ah yeah, you may be right, there were different finish locations in the past. I was thinking of the finish at the parking lot after the tunnel that we had in the Tour de Suisse a couple of years ago. I think Spilak won ahead of Ion Izagirre. The parking lot is at 2805 m and the highest point of the road at 2830 m. 14 km @ 10.3 % is quite something at that altitude.
Iirc they did the tunnel finish in 2017 and the regular finish in 2015 and 2016.

Reactions: Sestriere

My wishlist is mainly more to the south cause I used to holiday at Lago di Garda every summer. Prato di Nago (Rifugio Altissimu I don't even think is a road from there), but mainly Passo di Tremalzo is what I wanna see, but I fear Finestre is the sole option in dirt climbs in the Giro

Wow, I didn't know they used Edelweissspitze in the Tour of Austria. Maybe most difficult climb ever used in pro cycling. Last 18.6 km at 9.2% including 14 km at 10%.

tour-of-austria-2016-stage-4-profile.jpg

Same can be said about Tiefenbachferner (14 km at 10%, including 10 km at 11% plus high altitude), what a monster! As some said Rombo-Rettenbachferner(Tiefenbachrefner) combo is ridiculously difficult.

BTW if you want to have as difficult stage as possible then Western Alps rules. Combos indluding Fauniera, Agnello, Sampeyre, Izoard etc are staggering! One can even connect them with Finestre.

EUmIGzvXYAMeGOC.jpg

Take Fauniera, Sampeyre and Agnello and you have one of most difficult stages ever just 110 km long.

Last edited:

I also saw this on Twitter today.. From "Egan Bernal produced his best ever watts on Pas de Peyrol" to "the 2020 Giro will be between Tao Geoghegan Hart and Jai Hindley", how unlikely is it?

Edit: I think it's just an idea by some guy by the way, not really a rumour.
It only takes two minutes looking at satelite images of the ravine between the Lago Cancano dam and the Stelvio road from Bormio to see that some people smokes really hard suff. That belongs to the fantasy cycling subforum.

• Haha
In a similar vein, I'd also love to see Blockhaus as a pass (preferably late-race and finishing in Chieti, Guardiagrele or, if earlier in the race, the easy side of Lanciano) and certain unused sides of Monte Grappa (or just use the classic side better).

It has been used before. It seems like they liked to put it in the middle of stages, which is of course not the best way to use it properly.

image.jpg

10a.jpg

12a.jpg

For me a climb that hasn't been used for ages is Monte Faito. It's featured in the Giro movie "The Greatest Show on Earth" about the 1973 edition. It hasn't been used in the Giro since 1978. It's 12k @ 9% with incredible views on the golfo di napoli and a descent into Sorrento that is also really difficult. They even could have saved the last week of 2009 by putting it into the route. ;)

Btw: Only 171 days until the Giro starts. :D

Is it me or is every year a Giro rumous turn into a wishlist of the same exact climbs? You know, if Giro was held in July or August then feel free to have your Rombos/Soldens and Faunieras. Italy is a much bigger place with as good climbs all over the place. If you want cosmic designs then have the 21st stage finish in Verona after Pian delle Fugazze and Fittanze della Sega w/o any laps in the city or max one Torricelle climb.

I'm not sure I do, these profiles etc are fun to mess around with but I think putting 2 climbs like this in one stage basically makes the entire rest of a GT irrelevant, and it does so in a way that doesn't really require attacking but having climb so hard that the best float to the top naturally. If riders roflcrack the excitement is also not gonna last very long. Also, using multiple such climbs in a day will typically massively neutralize the first one. Take Agnello 2011, Madeleine 2020, etc, Mortirolo 2012, there's enough of them.

Is it me or is every year a Giro rumous turn into a wishlist of the same exact climbs? You know, if Giro was held in July or August then feel free to have your Rombos/Soldens and Faunieras. Italy is a much bigger place with as good climbs all over the place. If you want cosmic designs then have the 21st stage finish in Verona after Pian delle Fugazze and Fittanze della Sega w/o any laps in the city or max one Torricelle climb.
Okay.

Gimme Passo Croce Domini with that dirt road somewhere in that neighbourhood I forgot where it was exactly but I found once on google maps.

Pradacchio + Abetone.

Lanciano+Chieti or Guardiagrele in Giro ONE TIME

Or just Blockhaus from bottom all the way to top.

Terminillo descent finish.

Monte Catria/Nerone/Petrano + descent finis somewhere I don't even know in which order those units go.

Monte Grappa + Foza > finnish in Asiago just don't use the weakest possible side of Grappa this time.

I'm not sure I do, these profiles etc are fun to mess around with but I think putting 2 climbs like this in one stage basically makes the entire rest of a GT irrelevant, and it does so in a way that doesn't really require attacking but having climb so hard that the best float to the top naturally. If riders roflcrack the excitement is also not gonna last very long. Also, using multiple such climbs in a day will typically massively neutralize the first one. Take Agnello 2011, Madeleine 2020, etc, Mortirolo 2012, there's enough of them.
What i like to do is to put the hardest finishes rather early in the race, sort of what Vuelta likes to do from time to time and put the easier but tricky stages in week 3. A lot of hard climbs in Italy are at a quite low altitude. I think even Mortirolo could be held quite early in the race like end of week 1 or start of week 2.

Okay.

Gimme Passo Croce Domini with that dirt road somewhere in that neighbourhood I forgot where it was exactly but I found once on google maps.

Pradacchio + Abetone.

Lanciano+Chieti or Guardiagrele in Giro ONE TIME

Or just Blockhaus from bottom all the way to top.

Terminillo descent finish.

Monte Catria/Nerone/Petrano + descent finis somewhere I don't even know in which order those units go.

Monte Grappa + Foza > finnish in Asiago just don't use the weakest possible side of Grappa this time.

That dirt road is Dosso dei Galli and if it was refurbished a bit it could be feasible. However, a better way is to just have Croce Domini before a Maniva MTF. ou can also have a half Montecampione via a 2ndary road from Artogne before full Montecampione. Lanciano/Blockhaus can be linked with a Manopello finish in front of Basilica Volto Santo, which nullifies any flats before Chieti/Guardiagrele. As for Grappa do Grappa 2010+Croce d'Aune+San Martino Castrozza finish near the end of the race.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Red Rick
What i like to do is to put the hardest finishes rather early in the race, sort of what Vuelta likes to do from time to time and put the easier but tricky stages in week 3. A lot of hard climbs in Italy are at a quite low altitude. I think even Mortirolo could be held quite early in the race like end of week 1 or start of week 2.
Yeah the backloading is probably by far the worst thing about Giro routes. Especially when the first 2 weeks medium mountains tend to be the type where fear of the 3rd week shuts the race down adn there's not really a standard point to attack as you would probably have if you'd have a Sassotetto finish or just a straighforwards good climb + descent finish. Also think that Mortirolo is the big climb most suited to this as it's only a 45 minute climb, it's probably the most reliable in creating carnage but not the most likely to decide the GC too early.

The Vuelta sometimes does really well on frontloading climbs too, but it does require to some extent to have weaker teams. The 2019 Vuelta route would not have worked in the Tour.

I'm also not sure if I like ITTs as final GC stage anymore.

TRENDING THREADS