• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Giro Route Rumours

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to a local article, the stage to Bagno di Romagna will pass through Firenze, climb La Verna, Monte Camaldoli and enter Emilia through the Passo della Calla. From there on the article is very specific and lists all traversed vilages, so I would trust it. Before Passo della Calla however, there is no way to fit every place they mention under 260 km. Either they are passing near Florence or they climb La Verna and Camaldoli. Here an example of both options from Cicloweb

8dOKQpQ.png

LHTvavr.png

Either way, the last three climbs should be locked. The stage is not what I was hoping for but even so it's a nice one.

According to a local article, the stage to Bagno di Romagna will pass through Firenze, climb La Verna, Monte Camaldoli and enter Emilia through the Passo della Calla. From there on the article is very specific and lists all traversed vilages, so I would trust it. Before Passo della Calla however, there is no way to fit every place they mention under 260 km. Either they are passing near Florence or they climb La Verna and Camaldoli. Here an example of both options from Cicloweb

8dOKQpQ.png

LHTvavr.png

Either way, the last three climbs should be locked. The stage is not what I was hoping for but even so it's a nice one.
Definitely a nice stage either way. The only slight complaint I've got is that all the climbs have the same gentle gradient at about 4-7% on average, but that's just nitpicking from my part.

Both versisons looked really good. This stage and a Montalcino sterrato stage, and we'll have much better start of the second week than the last few years.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Reports from Montalcino today mention 5 sectors, basically following most if not all the short route of the Eroica Montalcino. They go as far as to say the stage will be categorized as "high mountain"...

That sounds great. It has been too long without a proper sterrato stage (I know there was a hill with sterrato in 2016 (and of course Finestre) but it wasn't comparable to the 2010 stage at all).

Because of the sterrato? Going this way even Roubaix could be categorized as "high mountain"...
someone could speculate they might also throw Monte Amiata in there.
...or journalists are full of bs. That's also possible.
However the article comes with a photo of supposedly a meeting between RCS and the local organizers that happened yesterday. It does seem like the journos are simply quoting what has been said in that meeting.

Last edited:
Reactions: search
However the article comes with a photo of supposedly a meeting between RCS and the local organizers that happened yesterday. It does seem like the journos are simply quoting what has been said in that meeting.
Maybe there are just getting it mixed up with a 4 star difficulty rating stage and assume that those are only reserved for mountain stages?

Yeah, could be but still would be just to put in fatigue some 70/80/90 kms to the finish.

The Amiata would be good put with 20/30 kms to go in a stage with a slight uphill finish in a nearby town like Chianciano, Montepulciano, Radicofani, or Sorano in the Grosseto side. But i think we'll never see a combination like this in the Appennines neither something like climb up to the Prato delle Macinaie from Castel del Piano, descent to Piancastagnaio and up to the top via Abbadia San Salvatore that would be a good second week mountain stage.

I just saw a potential profile of that stage. I am hyped now...which is never a good thing before a presentation. :D

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS